Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS QPF amounts are possibly underdone, the high res models should have a better idea once we get closer. In all reality, you don't need a model to tell you that TC's produce torrential rainfall, and then there is the PRE which Mt. Holly mentioned, should be a very active week.

Walt Drag wrote that section of the Mt Holly AFD as well.

Again, it's amazing the degree of agreement and consistency among the models at this point in the game-still 5 days out for us. It's hard to say we're in for major impacts here as of yet, but the threat is certainly increasing. You pretty much take a GFS/Euro blend the way they've been for the last 2 days, and it could be a major if not destructive impact for much of Long Island and the NJ shore. I don't really buy the storm slowing down as it tracks this far north in latitude and westerlies exert more influence, but the track so far is quite ominous for us. I still think though that our odds increase if the storm actually makes landfall in NC-if it only grazes, I see it bending east far enough to spare major impacts, at least well inland. Given the new moon and astronomically very high tides upcoming, I wonder if evacuations will be called for here in a few days.

post-3401-0-56766700-1314143650.jpg

The CDO has really started to become more symmetrical in the past few hours, and with an eye potentially clearing out and pressures falling quickly, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Irene making a run at Cat 4 by 11 am.

Also of note, it hasn't burped out any outflow boundaries recently, which means it may be finally getting over its dry air issues.

post-3401-0-56766700-1314143650.jpg

The CDO has really started to become more symmetrical in the past few hours, and with an eye potentially clearing out and pressures falling quickly, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Irene making a run at Cat 4 by 11 am.

Also of note, it hasn't burped out any outflow boundaries recently, which means it may be finally getting over its dry air issues.

A ton of dry air over the bahamas still and the storm tops have warmed in the last several frames so RI likely not underway just yet even though the pressure has come down but that makes sense given the NHC forecast of steady strengthening but not rapid. A cat 4 by 11am is highly unlikely.

A ton of dry air over the bahamas still and the storm tops have warmed in the last several frames so RI likely not underway just yet even though the pressure has come down but that makes sense given the NHC forecast of steady strengthening but not rapid. A cat 4 by 11am is highly unlikely.

I see the CDO is really condensing, so I'm not convinced the dry air is going to be a huge issue. And I didn't say it would necessarily be at Cat 4 by 11 am (agree it's unlikely, but not impossible), although I do think it could be on that track by midday.

I am not buying all of this yet because I still remember Edward in 96. But if it slows down it has time to weaken over the cooler waters and my gut feeling this will take more Charley in 2004 where more likely I think a weak Tropical Storm becoming Extra-tropical when and if it does make landfall on Eastern Long Island. I think SE coast up from FL to NC coast will in danger with this hurricane. I still the area will see heavy rain and in fact good portation of the east coast will be line of heavy rain and some wind for Eastern LI and SNE if the storm just track over Eastern LI as a Tropical Storm. Flooding will be a concern again with all the rain we had in August.

I still think though it will more likely hit the Caroline coast as Cat 2 or 3 storm but I see 3 possibilities right now.

1. Recurves OTS

2. Take Bob like track but be much weaker though as tropical storm due the slow moment over cooler waters and perhaps lose its tropical features by the time it makes second landfall on the Eastern tip of LI

3. Take a middle track and brushes the cape as either a weak tropical storm/depression or become post tropical hrybid system.

I still think though it will more likely hit the Caroline coast as Cat 2 or 3 storm but I see 3 possibilities right now.

1. Recurves OTS

2. Take Bob like track but be much weaker though and perhaps lose its tropical features by the time it brushes Eastern LI

3. Take a middle track and brushes the cape as either a weak tropical storm/depression or become post tropical hrybid system.

and not one of your 3 possibilities involve a significant storm impacting our area. that is a bit foolish.

and not one of your 3 possibilities involve a significant storm impacting our area. that is a bit foolish.

There is a 4th possiblity that it could take a Floyd like track then it will probably be either barely a tropical storm where it could spend time over land and cooler waters but then expect more widespread flooding rains to occur in this case was to happen. I am just my thoughts like it has been the last 20 years and I don't feel this will be significant right now but that could change though. It still 5 days away.

There is a 4th possiblity that it could take a Floyd like track then it will probably be either barely a tropical storm where it could spend time over land and cooler waters but then expect more widespread flooding rains to occur in this case was to happen. I am just my thoughts like it has been the last 20 years and I don't feel this will be significant right now but that could change though. It still 5 days away.

HPC's 00z 5 day QPF Map is out. 12"+ for LI

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p120i00.gif

cantore and norcross talking about a nnw movement late in the forecast period like what the gfdl and the euro show. That would be quite rare

good call dude. i just tuned that in...they were talking about the resemblence to a 1944 hurricane that stayed offshore but made landfall around cape cod canal. They said that storm did a ton of damage on the shore. They had a cool graphic showing all the models as well...folks it looks like this may be the real deal. They upgraded the potential impacts on the northeast to major.

Was just down in Freeport on the nautical mile. Had a bite to eat at Otto's, i was thinking how bad it would be if a storm came in and wiped that place out. :thumbsdown:

HPC's 00z 5 day QPF Map is out. 12"+ for LI

http://www.hpc.ncep....qpf/p120i00.gif

Saw that not to long ago. Since it appears Irene may not be rocketing by but taking her time it only increase the period of rain and thus qpf. Suspect the type of qpf is realistic possibility just a matter of final track and where heaviest axis ends up. Just like tracking the snow/qpf bullseye in winter.

Someone just posted the 0z early guidance tracks over at the "Hurricane Irene Model Discussion" thread

A number of them are clustered on LI.

This situation is getting rather scary.. A storm coming into western LI w/ hurricane force winds - even low end cat 1 - would be devastating tree-wise.. And the flooding looks pretty prolific as well...

Archived