Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nhc track has irene riding the jersey coast after slamming the outer banks as a major hurricane. wow. who else is gonna chase this baby?

With the usual inside 48 hour east move that hurricanes usually trend to, landfall will probably be on LI somewhere.

We should do a get together and chase together, if we get this storm!

nhc track has irene riding the jersey coast after slamming the outer banks as a major hurricane. wow. who else is gonna chase this baby?

low end cat 1 or strong tropical storm? no thanks cat 4+ or nothing pleasedrunk.gif I'll enjoy the rain/thunderstorms and wind though.

but I will admit im starting to get a little pumped here.

I think it would be worse for us because we would be on the right side. Bertha was a 65 mph tropical storm with hurricane force gusts for us as it tracked right over JFK. That's what I'm thinking right now. (Bertha hit Wilmington as a strong Cat 2, it was a minimal Cat 3 over the water for a brief time.) I believe Floyd was also 65 mph up here, but it made landfall east of us at Jones Beach.

I remember the wind from Floyd being pretty bad on the boardwalk in Long Beach, but it was a northerly wind and the water therefore didn't make it past the dunes. If Floyd was southerly wind instead of northerly, the flooding would've been a lot worse. Most of the rain fell over NJ as well. I don't really remember Bertha that well.

Lee Goldberg mentioned that it's likely the east trend will continue. You see a lot of the hurricane models have it hitting eastern LI, or missing LI to the east. NHC has to play it safe with the track at this point. It will likely be shifted east in the coming days.

I remember the wind from Floyd being pretty bad on the boardwalk in Long Beach, but it was a northerly wind and the water therefore didn't make it past the dunes. If Floyd was southerly wind instead of northerly, the flooding would've been a lot worse. Most of the rain fell over NJ as well. I don't really remember Bertha that well.

You would get southerly winds with Bertha, because it passed just to the west of us. And NE winds on the north shore of Queens, so flooding everywhere.

Mt.Holly:

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/... ***SEVERE/FF POTENTIAL THURSDAY AND A POSSIBLE FRI NIGHT-SATURDAY PREDECESSOR HEAVY RAIN EVENT FOLLOWED BY IRENES TBD IMPACTS SUNDAY*** KEEPING THIS RELATIVELY SHORT AND TO THE POINT. THURSDAY...SCATTERED MID LVL SHOWERS MAY ARRIVE IN THE MORNING BUT THOSE SHOULD DRY OUT AT THE EXPENSE OF COLD FRONTAL ASSOCIATED SHOWERS WITH ISOLATED TO SCT SEVERE STORMS IN THE AFTN/EVENING. BLENDED NCEP POP GUIDANCE. ALL THE MODEL MOS AND 2M TEMP GUIDANCE LOOKS TOO COLD BY 5F AND RAISED THOSE GUIDANCE TEMPS FOR A +18C 850 SW FLOW SCENARIO. TT SHOULD BE IN THE 48-52 RANGE WITH 30-40 KT BULK SHEAR. POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR FF ALONG THE I95 CORRIDOR WHERE GRIDDED FFG IS LOW /BUT DRYING OUT FOR ANOTHER DAY TIL THURSDAY/. FRIDAY...PROBABLY A SHORT INTERLUDE IN THE MORNING BUT THE PWAT AND KI GRADIENT WILL PROBABLY BE STRONG OUT TO OUR SOUTH AND READY TO EDGE NWWD. 12Z/23 GFS MEX POPS BLENDED WITH HPC GUIDANCE. FRIDAY NIGHT-SATURDAY EVENING...UKMET IS WELL E OF ITS PREVIOUS INLAND TRACK AND THE 12Z/23 EC HAS EDGED EAST...MUCH CLOSER TO THE 12Z/23 GFS/GGEM OP. NO MATTER...IF IRENE GOES ALONG AS PREDICTED INTENSITY AND AND CENTROID TRACK...AM EXPECTING A PREDECESSOR HEAVY RAIN EVENT TO DEVELOP ALONG AND JUST NW OF AN INVERTED TROF...SE FLOW TO THE I95 CORRIDOR WITH LIGHT NELY FLOW IN E PA. THE PRE PPT IS ON-LINE. IN ESSENCE A STRENGTHENING RRQ OF THE UPPER LVL JET WILL ASSIST SE INFLOW/IRENE LEAKAGE OF HIGH PWAT AIR WELL TO THE NW OF IRENE IN A SORT OF BANDING SCENARIO THAT SHOULD PERMIT MID LVL INSTABILITY TO YIELD POTENTIALLY EXCESSIVE RAINFALL. WHERE THIS WILL BE...PRESUMING IRENE REMAINS ON THE 21Z FCST TRACK...MY ESTIMATE THIS WILL OCCUR WITHIN 30 MI OF THE I95 CORRIDOR. AN EVENT LIKE THIS COULD EASILY PRODUCE FF/FLOOD POTENTIAL RFALL OF 5 INCHES OR MORE. AGAIN...JUST DONT KNOW WHERE AND MUST HAVE A HURRICANE TRACK SIMILAR CLOSE THAT OF 21Z/23. THEREAFTER...NHC TCM WINDS/PWS ARE INCORPORATED INTO THE BACKGROUND WINDS OF THE GFS MEX AND THIS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL IRENE IS BELOW TCM WIND/PWS THRESHOLD POTENTIAL. PLEASE NOTE...AT LEAST TODAY THERE WILL BE STANDARD 330PM AND 330AM ISSUANCE`S WITH A NECESSARY APPROXIMATELY 515 PM/AM RE-ISSUANCE TO INCORPORATE NHC TCM WINDS AND PROBS. SAT NIGHT-SUNDAY NIGHT...FAR TOO EARLY TO BE SURE OF IRENE AND ITS IMPACTS. PLEASE MONITOR NHC FORECASTS AND THE PHI BACKGROUND INFORMATION. THIS 330 PM FCST CUTOFF THE TROP CONDITION PHRASING AT 12Z DUE TO GUIDELINES. THIS WILL EXTEND INTO SUNDAY BY THE 530 PM UPDATE AS THE DAY 5 NHC FCST EXTENDS FURTHER INTO SUNDAY. THE RISKS FOR LATE SAT NIGHT INTO SUNDAY EVENING...ARE A GLANCING BLOW TO THAT OF DAMAGING WIND GUSTS..TREES DOWN ON SATURATED GROUND...FF RAINS /ESPECIALLY AUGUST STORM TOTAL 10+ INCH RAIN AREAS SO FAR TO DATE AND URBAN CENTERS/ HIGH SEAS AND ASSOCIATED TIDAL FLOODING WITHIN 2 HOURS EITHER SIDE OF HIGH TIDE. WE JUST DONT KNOW AND SO FOR NOW...ALL INTERESTS SHOULD BE PREPARED TO ALTER THEIR WEEKEND PLANS FOR MORE SAFE ALTERNATIVES. ECMWF HAS A LARGE AREA OF 6 INCH RFALL IN E PA....LESSER TO THE EAST. IF IRENE FOLLOWS A SIMILAR TRACK AND INTENSITY AS FCST AT 21Z TODAY...WATCH THE BACKSIDE PRES RISE-FALL COUPLET AND TRANSFER OF OF VERY STRONG 975-950 WINDS TO THE SFC. &&

JB just got on 770 WABC on my way home from work, and basically told everyone to expect a "Gloria" type event or worse....ouch... the media field day has begun

Looks like Lee Goldberg's thinking is a Cat 1 or 2 over central or eastern LI... he thinks it only grazes NC and doesn't lose much strength there.

Very agressive for a 4-5 day forecast, I was thinking maybe a "Tropical Storm Conditions Possible" wording but too early I guess.

NWS going with a 90% chance of heavy rain Saturday night and Sunday

Saturday: A chance of showers. The rain could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 81. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday Night: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 70. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday: Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 78. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday Night: Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Very agressive for a 4-5 day forecast, I was thinking maybe a "Tropical Storm Conditions Possible" wording but too early I guess.

NWS going with a 90% chance of heavy rain Saturday night and Sunday

Saturday: A chance of showers. The rain could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 81. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday Night: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 70. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday: Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 78. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday Night: Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

How is that aggressive

Archived