Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the image right after landfall...could be destruction in Ocean City, MD and surrounding areas if this were to verify. It's a ways out, but it is crazy to see. That's one of the most hurricane prone places I've ever been to.

post-6-0-37536600-1314131429.png

Yikes I have family in Ocean City right now, they are there till sunday, I guess they will be leaving early!

Here's the image right after landfall...could be destruction in Ocean City, MD and surrounding areas if this were to verify. It's a ways out, but it is crazy to see. That's one of the most hurricane prone places I've ever been to.

post-6-0-37536600-1314131429.png

Hey John, where did you get those maps? Is that from the new wunderground site? I couldnt find them on stormvista

Looks like good surfing weather around here :) I may not even have to go to the beach to go surfing LOL

SE winds of 60-70 mph+ with the new moon could mean severe flooding around here if it verified. Erosion would be horrible too. It really doesn't take a heck of a lot to flood the immediate south shore in this kind of setup.

We all remember March of 2010.. 60-70mph winds south of Sunrise Hwy... IF we were to get these winds area wide, with FULL Foliage, we'd have some serious problems.. Also as illustrated already- the SE fetch would destroy the beaches... And there would be crazy coastal flooding!

SE winds of 60-70 mph+ with the new moon could mean severe flooding around here if it verified. Erosion would be horrible too. It really doesn't take a heck of a lot to flood the immediate south shore in this kind of setup.

This would be worse than Gloria was here-- I know Long Beach got evacuated for that, might be evacuated this time too.

the new moon sunday night are astro high tides for the month....anyone have a tide schedule for sunday?

Edit: looks like Sunday early evening.

Im confused...the Euro showed a storm with a ridic pressure of 931 just west of here....how come the winds r so light in comparison on the model?....and theres no way the pressure is that low when it gets here, but i still dont get y to the above question...can someone please explain?

This would be worse than Gloria was here-- I know Long Beach got evacuated for that, might be evacuated this time too.

If it tracks inland like the Euro shows it's hard for me to see it being worse than maybe Floyd was (still pretty bad), this really has to hit NC as a cat 3 or so for it really to be able to translate the very bad stuff here. Also it has to be going fast-if it slows down like the GFS shows, the main threat would become rain and some scattered wind damage. The ground here is still soaked from the foot plus of rain we've had in the last 10 days. It wouldn't take a lot for trees to start coming down from the wind. If we had something like 3/13 last year it would be awesome.

If it tracks inland like the Euro shows it's hard for me to see it being worse than maybe Floyd was (still pretty bad), this really has to hit NC as a cat 3 or so for it really to be able to translate the very bad stuff here. Also it has to be going fast-if it slows down like the GFS shows, the main threat would become rain and some scattered wind damage. The ground here is still soaked from the foot plus of rain we've had in the last 10 days. It wouldn't take a lot for trees to start coming down from the wind. If we had something like 3/13 last year it would be awesome.

Models are showing potential for heavy rain on thursday with storm, getting 1-2 inches on thursday wont be good if Irene comes as modeled today

I think it would be worse for us because we would be on the right side. Bertha was a 65 mph tropical storm with hurricane force gusts for us as it tracked right over JFK. That's what I'm thinking right now. (Bertha hit Wilmington as a strong Cat 2, it was a minimal Cat 3 over the water for a brief time.) I believe Floyd was also 65 mph up here, but it made landfall east of us at Jones Beach.

Euro huggers.

Just kidding. Track has shifted east and we are still +/- 200 miles right now with track error this far out. Wanna see how that second trough gets sampled over the next day, two, etc, and remember, we saw drastic shifts within 48 hours over the winter from things coming in from the pac nw

Im confused...the Euro showed a storm with a ridic pressure of 931 just west of here....how come the winds r so light in comparison on the model?....and theres no way the pressure is that low when it gets here, but i still dont get y to the above question...can someone please explain?

Remember, its not only central pressure, but pressure gradient. It is the gradient that creates the wind. A similar situation would be Hurricane Ike in the western Gulf of Mexico.

Archived