• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011 - Part IV

The latest long-range GFS shows a bunch of storms.

Tropical Storm Ophelia wandering off Africa into the Central Atlantic

Hurricane Philippe being a Gordon-2000 type track into Florida

Hurricane Rina forming off the Cape Verdes

Hurricane Sean forming behind Rina

If by 384 hrs we still have Cape Verde waves developing and we are waiting on Tammy, no doubt we're headed for Greek.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If by 384 hrs we still have Cape Verde waves developing and we are waiting on Tammy, no doubt we're headed for Greek.

I wouldn't really count on the post-truncation GFS to get an exact number of storms the next 16 days.

240 hour GFS ensembles show two potentially favorable areas from the 250 mb standpoint.

post-138-0-71515000-1315940130.gif

september 18th is 5 days away :(

How do you like the storm that comes up from the CC across the Yucatan, slams into Tampa, then over the Atlantic curves back S and SW to hit Miami?

Not in the same place, but there is some suggestion of short lead time hijinks of perhaps a subtropical nature somewhere off the M.A or SE in about a week.

Going with the glass overflowing GFS, SSTs off Virginia Beach are just a touch below 26ºC, but if the system is hybrid, that might be enough for locked threads and super secret moderation.

I'm still more excited by the Tampa Trampler beyond truncation time, but the board needs a system.

GFSSF_MA2011091312F168.gif

Not in the same place, but there is some suggestion of short lead time hijinks of perhaps a subtropical nature somewhere off the M.A or SE in about a week.

Going with the glass overflowing GFS, SSTs off Virginia Beach are just a touch below 26ºC, but if the system is hybrid, that might be enough for locked threads and super secret moderation.

I'm still more excited by the Tampa Trampler beyond truncation time, but the board needs a system.

GFSSF_MA2011091312F168.gif

Looks like a broad mess, similar to STC Nichole last year but a lot drier.

september 18th is 5 days away :(

I guess I use that date because Carla...Charley...Andrew...Katrina...Great Miami (Cat 4)....Ivan...Lake Okechobee (Cat 4)...Labor Day...Dean...Felix...were all before September 18th. Of course Hazel...Hugo...Wilma...Rita...Jeanne were all after, but ya know...

Besides the hybrid howler or Rogue Storm or whateer, GFS is showig the begining of the potential Tampa Trampla in the Caribbean with 500 mb heights suggestive it will come North.

Euro has something that looks like a farther South version of a hybrid howler, although it appears, as best I can tell in 24 hour time steps, the low level vorticity comes from the East, so it wouldn't be purely a non-tropical to tropical developmment. Best I can tell.

post-138-0-45197600-1316005523.gif

post-138-0-94144400-1316005536.gif

Folks,

Prior to any possible W Caribbean excitement, I still feel that the area off of the SE coast should be closely monitored for potential tropical development next week. Today's 0z Euro is rather intriguing in that it has the NE US high hanging around longer just offshore, more 500 mb high pressure near and just offshore the mid- Atlantic, and even a weak sfc low pressure forming off the SE US coast by the middle of next week. Let's see what today's 12z models do, especially the Euro.

I'm currently going with about a 50% chance for a named storm to form in that general area next week.

Folks,

Prior to any possible W Caribbean excitement, I still feel that the area off of the SE coast should be closely monitored for potential tropical development next week. Today's 0z Euro is rather intriguing in that it has the NE US high hanging around longer just offshore, more 500 mb high pressure near and just offshore the mid- Atlantic, and even a weak sfc low pressure forming off the SE US coast by the middle of next week. Let's see what today's 12z models do, especially the Euro.

I'm currently going with about a 50% chance for a named storm to form in that general area next week.

You're right the SE slop storm has more support, but a potential Tampa Trampla will be much more interestng to follow.

GFS comes very close to closing off the SE slop storm in under 5 days, vorticity does come from the East but it is clearly frontal remnants. GFS then sends most of that system out to sea, but I recall talk of that being a common GFS error in the old days. No idea if trying to move something into the Westerlies is also a new GFS failing.

GFS still has the Tampa Trampla in a week. Or what could be the beginning of it, anyway. I wish RH was better North of it on this 4 panel plot, but shear looks favorable, and the system will be over warm water and in good mean RH and with good RH to its South, and again steering looks good to come North.

post-138-0-08375300-1316021333.gif

Better than nothing if it happens. HPC snip.

FIRST COOL FALL HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVES OVER THE NORTHEAST WITH

AN ONSHORE NE FLOW FROM THE MID ATLC REGION INTO NRN FL FOR

SEVERAL DAYS WITH A LONG FETCH OF 8-10 FT SEAS COMING INTO THE MID

ATLC BEACHES AND WITH COASTAL RAIN POTENTIAL SERN VA/NERN NC.

THERE ALWAYS REMAINS A THREAT OF FRONTAL WAVE DEVELOPMENT ALONG

THE NATURAL BAROCLINIC ZONE OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST IN THE COOL

SEASONS WITH SOME HINTS BY RECENT MODEL RUNS OF BASICALLY AN

INVERTED SFC TROF THAT APPEARS AND DISSAPPEARS FROM RUN TO RUN.

LATEST CMC DEVELOPS A SIGNIFICANT SFC WAVE AND LOW FROM THE LOWER

LEVELS BY DAYS 3-5 WITH QPF OUTPUT SUGGESTIVE OF A TROPICAL/HYBRID

SYSTEM. THE CMC UNDERWENT MAJOR MODIFICATIONS EARLIER THIS YEAR TO

REDUCE ITS TENDENCY FROM STRONG AND RAPID COASTAL CYCLOGENESIS AND

THIS IS A FIRST TEST OF THE RESULTS. THIS SOLUTION IS BEING

DISCOUNTED FOR NOW BY HPC AS OVERDONE AND TOO FAR NORTH. THERE ARE

A FAIR NUMBER OF ENSEMBLES MEMBERS FROM AT LEAST 3 MODELS

INDICATING AT LEAST AN H850 LOW IN THIS REGION.

slp22.png

Not sure I agree. This season has had a literal swarm of crappy, high-latitude namewasters. It's getting totally ancient. Do we need more of that? I'd rather just have quiet for two weeks.

?

There's only been four high latituders. Bret, maybe, but that's borderline.

There were 4 storms in the Gulf, 1 in the Caribbean, and 4 from Africa (counting Irene/Emily). I'd hardly say any one region is having a swarm over another.

?

There's only been four high latituders. Bret, maybe, but that's borderline.

There were 4 storms in the Gulf, 1 in the Caribbean, and 4 from Africa. I'd hardly say any one region is having a swarm over another.

Four high-latitude pieces of crap by 14 Sep is a lot to me. My point remains: the season has produced shockingly lame systems (high-, low-, and mid-latitude) and it's just boring.

Four high-latitude pieces of crap by 14 Sep is a lot to me. My point remains: the season has produced shockingly lame systems (high-, low-, and mid-latitude) and it's just boring.

Four in context of the other regions is not a lot. If there were four high latituders and 1 in each of the other regions, then you'd have a point.

I think it is hilarious at this point simply for the novelty. You'll get a good hurricane, but this season will provide excellent research material for seasonal outlooks in terms of the dry air/shear prevalent.

Four in context of the other regions is not a lot. If there were four high latituders and 1 in each of the other regions, then you'd have a point.

You're splitting hairs over something which was not in any way essential to the point of my post.

I think it is hilarious at this point simply for the novelty. You'll get a good hurricane, but this season will provide excellent research material for seasonal outlooks in terms of the dry air/shear prevalent.

Agreed on both points. It is funny in a sick way. :D

Doupt that will verify...06z GFS has nothing.:(

Don't give up hope with one model run. The same thing happened with yesterday's model runs... 00Z had it, 06Z didn't while 12Z brought it back. 00Z today had it while 06Z lost it again. Remember, look at the overall pattern and don't go with exactly what a model puts out. The pattern is setting up for a storm to be sucked into the Gulf of Mexico at the end of September... That is IF a storm develops, which we'll have to wait and see. Be patient ;)

Don't give up hope with one model run. The same thing happened with yesterday's model runs... 00Z had it, 06Z didn't while 12Z brought it back. 00Z today had it while 06Z lost it again. Remember, look at the overall pattern and don't go with exactly what a model puts out. The pattern is setting up for a storm to be sucked into the Gulf of Mexico at the end of September... That is IF a storm develops, which we'll have to wait and see. Be patient ;)

Plenty of patience here just frustrated with the overall season. Hopefully october brings some interesting things.

The 12Z gfs is the 2nd in a row showing a very low lat. westward moving (or possibly moving a touch S of W) TC in the E ATL within just the next couple of days. IF this turns

out to be a real TC and if it actually ends up moving at ~270 degrees or lower and even though it is rather late in the season for an MDR storm to make it across, climo would say that it would have a decent shot at getting pretty far west.

The 12Z gfs is the 2nd in a row showing a very low lat. westward moving (or possibly moving a touch S of W) TC in the E ATL within just the next couple of days. IF this turns

out to be a real TC and if it actually ends up moving at ~270 degrees or lower and even though it is rather late in the season for an MDR storm to make it across, climo would say that it would have a decent shot at getting pretty far west.

That would make me as happy as a girl getting a pony for Christmas, between the reapparance of what I have been calling the Tampa Trampla (although forecast motion and heights makes a premature death by CA a possibility earlier GFS runs weren't showing) and the ridge is actually building back West, suggesting this makes it well into the Caribbean before a recurve, if any.

I like the 4 panels.

post-138-0-55429600-1316109013.gif

Archived