Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
let's track some storms today

earthlight

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing is the storm absolutely crippled an area where many no votes would actually come out of.....the problem though is the LIRR was suspended and traffic got heavy causing some people to have a hard time getting home....again though, the majority of folks who work in the city who live on LI actually live on the north shore and not south....again, an area where there are likely to be more no voters than yes. Its an Isles conspiracy!

SG, there are plenty of people who work in the city who live on the south shore too :P

The storm almost completely missed this area though!

When do we find out who won the vote?

The funny thing was last week the Islanders owner went on Francesa's show on WFAN AND YES and said there would be a big thunderstorm today LOL Mike was laughing about it and asking him if he was setting it up.

Seriously!? Damn dude that sucks. There was 1" hail in Rockville Centre.

You know it's bad when all of your high school facebook friends who don't know anything about weather are all making statuses about "the end of the world". lol.

LOL I had some of my friends who live out your way and up around Garden City asking me how do we have ice falling from the sky in August..... isn't this stuff only supposed to happen in the Winter? I tried to ignore that lol.

It looked like that earlier cell formed along the seabreeze boundary moving north from srn LI. At least I remember seeing it on radar before the cell fired off.

That explains why I didnt get hit-- I was too far west of the sea breeze front? I usually like that because it makes this area the hottest part of the south shore (I hit 90 today), but in this case it kept the storms to my east.

the hail report in New Hyde Park has been upgraded to 3.00 inch! I was gonna say those pictures look bigger than 2 inches

Wow.... that's about a 15 min drive from here and all I got was some really big rain drops, and not even heavy rain...just big, with the sun shining at the same time.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

712 PM EDT MON AUG 1 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

SOUTHERN NASSAU COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

QUEENS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

BRONX COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

* UNTIL 815 PM EDT...

* AT 710 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR

THROGS NECK BRIDGE...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

BAYSIDE...GREAT NECK...CLEARVIEW EXPRESSWAY...PORT WASHINGTON...

LITTLE NECK...JAMAICA...MANHASSET...ELMONT...MINEOLA...GARDEN

CITY...VALLEY STREAM...WESTBURY...WOODMERE...LYNBROOK...

HEMPSTEAD...BALDWIN...OCEANSIDE...LONG BEACH...LEVITTOWN...

FREEPORT...LIDO BEACH...WANTAGH AND MASSAPEQUA

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM MONDAY

I was at work in Bayside earlier. We looked to be on the edge of the storms. Got some great CG lightning and loud thunder for almost an hour, but rain was only on and off every few minutes.

Here at home in Kew Gardens, not a drop of rain. Bayside looks to be getting hammered now.

Archived