Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
TS Emily: 215 Miles SSE Of San Juan, PR

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with this. Improvements in data assimilation techniques and convective/radiation parameterizations over the past few years have greatly increased the global models' ability to develop realistic tropical cyclones with skill. I still wouldn't trust GFDL/HWRF output (not that I do when there is actually a storm, either), but the Euro/GFS/UKMet are all useful for prediction prior to actual TC genesis.

Please make a colorful attention-grabbing banner out of this post and keep it at the top of the forum until December.

The Canadian has a good convective parameterization scheme for tropical systems.

Not just CMC, but the fact that it is still a wave.

Convection is currently low rain-rate and relatively warm cloud tops.

Anti-cyclone is displaced to the east of the LLC.

It is struggling to build a stacked PV circulation.

Waves move west..

Recon has pretty much confirmed what the graphic is showing.

2011AL91_MPSATWND_201108010600_SWHR.GIF

I am sorry, I wanted to add another point.

MIMIC-TPW is also showing that the boundary-layer infeed into 91L is becoming cutoff due to the dry slot on the west that is circulating south.

This may continue to remain a wave into a portion of the east Carib.

latest72hrs.gif

I am sorry, I wanted to add another point.

MIMIC-TPW is also showing that the boundary-layer infeed into 91L is becoming cutoff due to the dry slot on the west that is circulating south.

This may continue to remain a wave into a portion of the east Carib.

Yea all of the microwave passes this morning show evidence of a dry air intrusion from the North, and that is likely what is squashing the convection over the system right now. Overall, the system is looking rather disorganized right now, and I think we might see a further drop in TCG probabilities this afternoon unless this system gets its act back together fast.

I'm contemplating the thought that this might be the longest invest that never develops.

I couldn't agree with you more. This thing is taking forever to get it's act together. And the longer it takes the greater the chance that something(land....well islands) will continue to screw it up and all we get is 50 pages of forum with no real TC to talk about. This thing better get its act together soon or we all may run out of hope.

I couldn't agree with you more. This thing is taking forever to get it's act together. And the longer it takes the greater the chance that something(land....well islands) will continue to screw it up and all we get is 50 pages of forum with no real TC to talk about. This thing better get its act together soon or we all may run out of hope.

Come on, man. We're still 48-60 hours until it gets to Hispaniola. There is plenty of time for it to develop before interacting with land.

If this continues west and begins to develop in the mid-Carib this could potentially develop into a strong TC if it moves into the west Carib where the water is the warmest in the Atlantic.

At that point, it will be interesting to see if it makes the turn into the GOM and if it is over Cuba or the Yucatan Channel.

I think we all know the potential if it runs thru the Yucatan channel.

I think at this point, we may see 91L miss Hispañola to the south... not necessarily extremely far to the south... but definitely missing it to the south. This system is just not going to get well organized enough for the trough to be able to pick it up with much success... keep in mind that the models are showing a developed cyclone being picked up that is deep enough for the trough to grab... and so far, they have been pretty off the mark with respect to this developing.

This may easily not become a minimal TS until it gets near or passes the longitude of Hispañola.

If this continues west and begins to develop in the mid-Carib this could potentially develop into a strong TC if it moves into the west Carib where the water is the warmest in the Atlantic.

At that point, it will be interesting to see if it makes the turn into the GOM and if it is over Cuba or the Yucatan Channel.

I think we all know the potential if it runs thru the Yucatan channel.

It would take an immaculate model bust to get this into the Yucatan Channel. I could possibly see it getting into the extreme Eastern Gulf, but even that is unlikely.

Has a better chance than usual, IMHO, of being an exception to the John Hope rule. Not using the NAM for a forecast, just for what the windfields are intialized at, while 20 knot 850 mb winds aren't optimal, and might imply some weak divergence, 300 mb to almost 70ºW in the Caribbean also have an Easterly component, so shear West of the L. Antilles wouldn't be prohibitive.

post-138-0-83886800-1312207411.gif

post-138-0-14234500-1312207426.gif

It would take an immaculate model bust to get this into the Yucatan Channel. I could possibly see it getting into the extreme Eastern Gulf, but even that is unlikely.

I think it was Ivan (2004), where the models (for days and days worth of runs) had him turn too far east....Initially consensus was a miss east of FL. but verified in the E/C GOM.

Naked swirl escaping from the convection around 16.5N 59W. Just when everything looked consolidated. It will be interesting to see if the LLC itself can spawn thunderstorms but in any matter it will likely add another 24 hours to the TD countdown clock. (IMHO)

I don't see a 'naked swirl', especially at your coordinates.

I think it was Ivan (2005), where the models (for days and days worth of runs) had him turn too far east....Initially consensus was a miss east of FL. but verified in the E/C GOM.

Dean 2007 as well was another one that kept getting adjusted westward, though Euro was latched onto the right solution well before the other models. The Gulf is not off the hook here yet, but first we just need something to actually form, and the environment just isn't ideal for awhile yet.

Dean 2007 as well was another one that kept getting adjusted westward, though Euro was latched onto the right solution well before the other models. The Gulf is not off the hook here yet, but first we just need something to actually form, and the environment just isn't ideal for awhile yet.

I remember Dean and Ivan doing the same things to us.. where does the environment improve? East carib, south of Haiti/DR? (Btw, my first post here.. Where's my welcome party?)

Pretty much right on par with what they have been doing so far this year.

Archived