BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
El Hierro - Canary Islands - Possible eruption alert

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been watching the Katla volcano for increased activity. Last night there was a small swarm of earthquakes. I have not seen a cluster of quakes like this since I've been following the volcano. I don't know how to read tremor plots, if someone can read them and can identify which one belongs to Katla I'd love to hear what you think.

Tremor Plots - http://hraun.vedur.i.../allarsort.html

There is lots of chatter on this blog today about Katla possibly getting ready to erupt, there have been claims of harmonic tremors the last few days on this blog. There was an Earthquake swarm a few days ago that I pointed out, today Katla is very active and a Magnitude 3+ quake just occurred not long ago. Is this getting interesting or all about nothing? I guess we will find out soon.

http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/?p=1380

the blog states that it's unlikely that it means anything (twice) and that the harmonic tremor he is claiming hasn't been id'd as such by the Iceland Met Office.

other than that, it looks like Katla is set to blow anytime.

I know you are being sarcastic but it probably is set to blow. Katla is overdue for an eruption and it typically follows it's sister volcano after 18 months. Guess what it's been 18 months since the April 2010 eruption..... also just because the harmonic tremors have not been verified by the government does not mean they are not harmonic tremors. The guy who runs the blog seems educated on volcanoes and if he says they are harmonic tremors I don't think you should dismiss that because there has yet to be a conformation of them from the government.

Edit : He said the magnitude 3.0+ is unlikely to mean anything he was not referring to the harmonic tremors.

• 4 weeks later...

Legit small scale 'swarm' compared to previous ones.

Has tapered off for now.....

111005_0730.png

111005_0805.png

“Last night, Jon Frimann noted that a new earthquake swarm picked up along a linear feature under Katla. So far, there is no indication if a new eruption or flood, but it does show that things are still very active under the ice at Katla. Jon noted that so far, there is no sign of harmonic tremor, the usual harbinger that magma is moving and an eruption might be in the cards and when I checked this morning on the Icelandic Meteorological Office page, it looked like the swarm was over, with a total of a few dozen small (<M4, most <M3) earthquakes between 00:00 and 06:00 (GMT). Most of the earthquakes were between 7-9 km depth, so likely this was an emplacement of magma beneath the caldera – the question would be if that magma is eruptible or merely an intrusion at depth, a very common occurrence in a volcanically active terrane like Iceland. However, any activity is well-worth noting as other volcanoes in Iceland have seen similar patterns of earthquake swarms for months to years before an eventual eruption, so Katla will be watched closely."

http://www.wired.com...-katla-rocking/

Definitely not an eminent eruption but according to Jon, Katla needs to be watched closely and could erupt without warning. There were only two >M3 quakes the third far west one is a false quake.

Katla is rumbling again pretty good this morning, just had a quake around 2.9 range...

From Jon Frimann

A new large earthquake did happen just now in Katla volcano caldera. It is larger then ML2.9 size given up by Icelandic Met Office web page. I can tell from my geophone at Heklubyggð location (close to Hekla)

This just happened, if he is correct then the map will be updated with the third >M3 quake in the last twelve hours or so...

http://en.vedur.is/a...ws/2011/nr/2360

sitelogo-eng.gif Skip to navigation.

svaediJPG.jpg Áhrifasvæði jarðskjálfta í Mýrdalsjökli 5.10.2011.

Earthquake activity in Katla volcano October 2011

Heightened earthquake activity is presently occurring in the Katla volcano, southern Iceland. Earthquakes are taking place within the volcano's caldera, which is covered by the Mýrdalsjökull ice-cap. The current period of unrest began in July 2011, when a short-lived glacial flood burst from Mýrdalsjökull in connection with increased seismicity. Since then, several hundred micro-earthquakes have taken place within the area of the caldera. The enclosed graph shows how the ongoing activity compares to earlier episodes of seismic unrest at Katla in 1999 and 2002-2004.

In the early hours of today, 05 October 2011, an intense swarm of earthquakes was registered in the Katla caldera; the largest of these earthquake had a local magnitude of ~3.7. Most of the ongoing seismicity is sourced at shallow (< 5 km) depths.

There are presently no measurable signs that an eruption of Katla is imminent; however, given the heightened levels of seismicity, the situation might change abruptly. Monitoring teams at IMO are following the ongoing activity closely, and sensor-based networks around the volcano ensure that all seismological, geodetic, and hydrological changes are detected.

Historically, Katla is one of Iceland's most frequently erupting volcanoes. The last eruption to break the ice surface of Mýrdalsjökull occurred in 1918, and it lasted about a month.

katla_cal_qu_new.png

This is among the largest swarms since 1999...

Archived