Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
Potential thunderstorms/svr thunderstorms Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Severe weather last Friday 7/29

Thought this was interesting. Doubt it was a tornado but maybe some Montgomery County posters can weigh in if they think there was any chance.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/montco_memo/Did-a-tornado-hit-Lansdale-on-Friday-Experts-weigh-in.html

SPC reports for the day can be found at:

http://spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/110729_rpts.html

Re: Severe weather last Friday 7/29

Thought this was interesting. Doubt it was a tornado but maybe some Montgomery County posters can weigh in if they think there was any chance.

http://www.philly.co...s-weigh-in.html

SPC reports for the day can be found at:

http://spc.noaa.gov/...10729_rpts.html

JTA66 from Lansdale was in the middle of that storm. We'll have to get his opinion for sure.

JTA66 from Lansdale was in the middle of that storm. We'll have to get his opinion for sure.

My unprofessional opinion is we experienced straight-line winds. The tree falls all seemed to be in the same direction. Still, it was a very isolated corridor. And fortunately (for me) it was about a 1/2 mile to my east. My neighborhood escaped with down branches only (I'm over by North Penn HS).

My unprofessional opinion is we experienced straight-line winds. The tree falls all seemed to be in the same direction. Still, it was a very isolated corridor. And fortunately (for me) it was about a 1/2 mile to my east. My neighborhood escaped with down branches only (I'm over by North Penn HS).

I agree - straight line winds. We lost 5 trees at the golf course and you could draw on a map the wind direction even though they were scattered around the course location wise.

Watched the line in NW Burlco form from my North facing backyard. Heard some nice deep rumbles, but all the action was a few miles North of here...Not much of an outbreak so far looking at the radar...

Who called for an outbreak? :lol: Today was always marginal based on the ongoing cloud cover and such. Anyhow, SPC adds the southern half of Jersey, and E PA in the slight risk in the new outlook.

...NC NWD INTO SERN PA/NJ...

ALTHOUGH STORM SCALE MODELS HAVE BEEN CONSISTENT IN DEVELOPING

CONVECTION IN NC...LATEST SATELLITE PICTURES SHOW STRONG

SUBSIDENCE...EVEN CU HAVE BEEN SLOW TO DEVELOP. HOWEVER...STORMS

HAVE DEVELOPED OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF WV/VA AND SERN PA/NJ.

SUFFICIENT SHEAR...HEATING AND INSTABILITY FOR STORMS TO PRODUCE A

FEW DAMAGING WIND EVENTS.

Another swing and miss for northern DE today. Feels like we're the Ryan Howard of rain this summer.

Do you actually look at radar before you make statements like this? Granted it may miss your backyard, but to say swing and miss for N DE is just wrong. Actually, looks like the northern edge of the precip will get to you.

Northern DE is north of I-95 to me..or at least north of the canal. That thing will fizzle out before it gets here and even if it does its maybe 0.05" or so. The fact of the matter is the heavy stuff all weekend has eluded us. A little sprizt that barely wets the driveway and is dry in 15 minutes hardly qualifies as rain.

Do you actually look at radar before you make statements like this? Granted it may miss your backyard, but to say swing and miss for N DE is just wrong. Actually, looks like the northern edge of the precip will get to you.

Northern DE is north of I-95 to me..or at least north of the canal. That thing will fizzle out before it gets here and even if it does its maybe 0.05" or so. The fact of the matter is the heavy stuff all weekend has eluded us. A little sprizt that barely wets the driveway and is dry in 15 minutes hardly qualifies as rain.

Don't know why you expected a huge rain event. As yesterday and today got closer, all the models trended to a N and W heavy rain event, which came to pass. On a day where everything is extremely isolated, and a 40-50% chance tops, you shouldn't be whining about not seeing rain. Granted it's not all that much, but you're getting more right now, then most on the subforum.

This reminds me of the North Jersey/Central Jersey/South Jersey arguments... but in reality, all of New Castle should be considered northern Delaware. Kent is central, Sussex is southern. Of course, some North Jersey folks think the only part of Jersey that is part of northern Jersey is Bergen County :lol:

Archived