• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
Potential thunderstorms/svr thunderstorms Thread

tombo82685

I hope you're all right and we at least get some rain. But I have read similar text to this at least 6-8 times this year and have not seen a single decent storm yet. Persistence is a byatch....go with it.

I fully agree with Blue Hens on our terribly rotten string of luck in New Castle County, so I say keep on posting. We've truly missed out on so many good storms this summer.

But today's setup looks particularly great for us. I just hope we're not Charlie Brown to Mother Nature's football-holding Lucy.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the best set-up we've had in a couple of months.

I completely agree.

FLOOD WATCH NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ 358 AM EDT FRI JUL 8 2011 ...THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FLASH FLOODING THIS AFTERNOON INTO EARLY TONIGHT... .LOW PRESSURE MOVING ALONG A STATIONARY FRONT...HIGH MOISTURE LEVELS THROUGH A DEEP LAYER IN THE ATMOSPHERE...AND SLOW-MOVING STORMS MAY CAUSE FLASH FLOODING.

After the last couple of months in this area, I have to think today's set up looks "too good to be true". We've had many events which started off as all signals green, only for one reason or another to fizzle out. So you'll have to put up with those of us on the pessimistic side! axesmiley.png

Anyways, the radar is looking pretty sweet out west already - if we could get just that to move west, we'd be in good shape. But then you add the MCS predictions and convective nature, and we could get it with both barrels. I'll be the one standing in my backyard, face to the sky, yelling, "It's really raining!"

After the last couple of months in this area, I have to think today's set up looks "too good to be true". We've had many events which started off as all signals green, only for one reason or another to fizzle out. So you'll have to put up with those of us on the pessimistic side! axesmiley.png

Anyways, the radar is looking pretty sweet out west already - if we could get just that to move west, we'd be in good shape. But then you add the MCS predictions and convective nature, and we could get it with both barrels. I'll be the one standing in my backyard, face to the sky, yelling, "It's really raining!"

Well then I suggest you get your boots out of the closet.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1537 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1044 AM CDT FRI JUL 08 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL APPALACHIAN MTNS AND MID-ATLANTIC CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY VALID 081544Z - 081645Z A SEVERE THREAT WILL LIKELY DEVELOP ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION EXTENDING NEWD INTO SRN NEW ENGLAND. WIND DAMAGE AND HAIL WILL BE THE MAIN SEVERE THREATS WITH THIS POTENTIAL PERSISTING INTO THE AFTERNOON. WW ISSUANCE IS LIKELY ACROSS THE REGION OVER THE NEXT 1 TO 2 HOURS.

SEVERAL CLUSTERS OF THUNDERSTORMS ARE ONGOING ACROSS THE CNTRL APPALACHIAN MTNS JUST TO THE EAST OF AN UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH EVIDENT ON WATER VAPOR IMAGERY. AHEAD OF THE CONVECTION...THE WARM SECTOR IS DESTABILIZING ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC WHERE MESOANALYSIS ESTIMATES MLCAPE VALUES IN THE 1200 TO 1600 J/KG RANGE. INSTABILITY WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE AS SFC TEMPS WARM. THIS COMBINED WITH 40 TO 50 KT OF DEEP LAYER SHEAR EVIDENT ON REGIONAL WSR-88D VWPS AND 500 MB TEMPS OF -8C TO -11C WILL BE FAVORABLE FOR HAIL WITH THE MORE INTENSE CORES. A WIND DAMAGE THREAT WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY AS THE SFC-BASED THUNDERSTORMS INITIATE ACROSS THE INSTABILITY AXIS WHERE SFC DEWPOINTS ARE IN THE UPPER 60S TO LOWER 70S F. ..BROYLES.. 07/08/2011 ATTN...WFO...BOX...OKX...ALY...PHI...BGM...AKQ...CTP...LWX... RNK...PBZ...RLX...

mcd1537.gif

12Z NAM has an amazing amount of Rain from DC up through Philly just south of Allentown to the Shore points. Most of it convective. Might be the MCS thart has been mentioned.

i would be hesitant to believe that. I think it was in this thread or another adam and mike were talking bout how the nam has the tendency to create these high qpf blobs. This could be what its doing. Im not saying its wrong, im just saying be leary of it.

i would be hesitant to believe that. I think it was in this thread or another adam and mike were talking bout how the nam has the tendency to create these high qpf blobs. This could be what its doing. Im not saying its wrong, im just saying be leary of it.

I can believe the

Amounts, just not the coverage area. Pwats are high, radar looks good, thermodynamics and shear are

Ample. Not a bad set up this way other than some cloud cover. Even that is minimal at capping cape values.

NAM has been much better than GFS on QPF this summer, but you are absolutely right, it's been miserable on areal coverage (way too optimistic). It'll be intersting to see if we can get the gulf moisture involved later today.

Getting more cloudy now. Dew point 77, it's a little brutal out there. I do believe the shield will break today. (I hope).

I too was disheartened last evening to see the wind pick up in West Chester only at the time I was leaving to go southwest in ChesCo where, you guessed it, nothing.

Should we start a nowcast/obs thread for this event or just keep all the discussion in here for now?

Keep it here.

Those hodo's are solid looking. Looks as if helicity values are better down south, which would coincide with the clearest skies.

Will post an update when I get home and melt all my golf clubs down from my horrendous morning!! (108)

STW Just issued.

Statement as of 1:53 PM EDT on July 08, 2011

The National Weather Service has issued Severe Thunderstorm Watch

610 in effect until 9 PM EDT this evening for the following areas

In Delaware this watch includes 3 counties

In central Delaware

Kent

In northern Delaware

New Castle

In southern Delaware

Sussex

In Maryland this watch includes 5 counties

In northeast Maryland

Caroline Cecil Kent

Queen Anne's Talbot

In New Jersey this watch includes 16 counties

In central New Jersey

Mercer Monmouth

In northern New Jersey

Hunterdon Middlesex Morris

Somerset Sussex Warren

In southern New Jersey

Atlantic Burlington Camden

Cape May Cumberland Gloucester

ocean Salem

In Pennsylvania this watch includes 10 counties

In east central Pennsylvania

Berks Lehigh Northampton

In northeast Pennsylvania

Carbon Monroe

In southeast Pennsylvania

Bucks Chester Delaware

Montgomery Philadelphia

This includes the cities of... Allentown... Atlantic City...

Bethlehem... Blairstown... Camden... Centreville... Cherry Hill...

Chestertown... Denton... Deptford... Dover... Doylestown...

East Brunswick... Easton... Easton... Edison... Elkton... Flemington...

Freehold... Georgetown... Glassboro... Hammonton... Jim Thorpe...

media... Millville... Moorestown... Morristown... Mount Holly...

New Brunswick... Newton... Norristown... North Brunswick township...

Ocean City... Pennsville... Perth Amboy... Philadelphia... reading...

Sayreville... Somerset... Stroudsburg... Toms River... Trenton...

West Chester and Wilmington.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 610

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

155 PM EDT FRI JUL 8 2011

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

CONNECTICUT

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

DELAWARE

MARYLAND

NEW JERSEY

SOUTHEAST NEW YORK

EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA

NORTHERN AND CENTRAL VIRGINIA

COASTAL WATERS

EFFECTIVE THIS FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 155 PM UNTIL 900

PM EDT.

HAIL TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 65

MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 85

STATUTE MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 40 MILES NORTH

NORTHEAST OF POUGHKEEPSIE NEW YORK TO 35 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF

WASHINGTON DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE

WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU0).

REMEMBER...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE

FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH

AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR

THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS

AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN AND OCCASIONALLY

DO PRODUCE TORNADOES.

DISCUSSION...CLUSTERS OF THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE

DEVELOPING AND INTENSIFY THIS AFTERNOON IN ADVANCE OF A SHORT WAVE

TROUGH MOVING EWD TOWARD THE MID ATLANTIC REGION. AIR MASS IS VERY

MOIST WITH SURFACE DEW POINTS IN THE LOW 70S...AND DIABATIC HEATING

HAS RESULTED IN DESTABILIZATION WITH MLCAPE OF 1500 J/KG. SWLY MID

LEVEL WINDS OF 30-40 KT ARE CONTRIBUTING TO SUFFICIENT VERTICAL

SHEAR TO ENHANCE THREAT FOR SEVERE STORMS. LOCALIZED DAMAGING WIND

GUSTS AND HAIL WILL BE THE PRIMARY THREATS.

AVIATION...A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT

TO 1.5 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE WIND GUSTS TO 55

KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO 550. MEAN STORM

MOTION VECTOR 23025.

...WEISS

Archived