• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

I'm talking about severe criteria winds as this line moved through...the anecdotal stuff I cannot speak of.

It's not anecdotal it appears there were several bows with impressive downbursts... one in NE CT from Vernon east into Windham County... another in Middlesex County with significant damage and power outages from Middletown straight to Old Saybrook... and another in Litchfield County/northern Fairfield County.

120,000+ power outages is the biggest from a svr event I can remember in years.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not anecdotal it appears there were several bows with impressive downbursts... one in NE CT from Vernon east into Windham County... another in Middlesex County with significant damage and power outages from Middletown straight to Old Saybrook... and another in Litchfield County/northern Fairfield County.

120,000+ power outages is the biggest from a svr event I can remember in years.

Sshhh..the downplayers are downing

If it's not tree top gusts, a windex event or flooding that affects almost noone except SE CT it's just not a big deal

Wow, very cool stats here:

Credit: Patrick Marsh, a doctoral student of Harold Brooks.

The 18z sounding from Caribou, ME had a surface based CAPE of 3141J/kg

Marsh put together a list of the highest CAPE values for the 46N, -68E grid point from the 20th Century Global Reanalysis

From 138 years of data (every 6 hours, totaling 201,616 soundings), today's observed CAPE ranked 7th

He acknowledged the varying methods of calculating CAPE, but this is a pretty good indication of significance of today's conditions

I had the opportunity to witness a CG lightning strike from no more than 50 feet away as that line of storms slammed through here earlier. I could actually feel the heat and shock-wave from the bolt and smell the ozone as I was sitting on the front porch watching the storm when it hit. It struck this large black locust tree on our property and split it in half. The tree is literally hanging by a thread and any decent wind gust will be enough to topple the rest of it over. Hopefully, conditions will remain fairly calm until it can be taken out ASAP. I'm actually kind of glad as this tree is more of a messy nuisance anyway. Now there's an excuse to have it removed and hopefully have the insurance cover most of it. Save for the CG lightning everywhere, it was a pretty run of the mill FROPA t-storm with heavy rain and some wind at the onset. Here are some photos from the tree that was hit

Wow, Mitch. Cool to witness a bolt that close. It's happened to me only a few times. Each one has been very memorable. You didn't happen to run braided copper cable up that tree to 'encourage' its demise?lol I got lots of reports of heavy tree damage in Lee and Stockbridge last night. I didn't go down there today so can't verify how bad it was. How did you fare? Just lots of heavy rain and vivd lightning here.

Ryan..any street names in Vernon of the damage? That's where i grew up.Just curious

no street names thta I heard yet... state police say they're overwhelmed particularly Pomfret/Woodstock/Eastford/Ashford/Willington and Old Saybrook/Old Lyme/Essex/Deep River/Haddam.

Also some really bad wind damage in New Milford, Brookfield, and Ridgefield.

Wow, very cool stats here:

Credit: Patrick Marsh, a doctoral student of Harold Brooks.

The 18z sounding from Caribou, ME had a surface based CAPE of 3141J/kg

Marsh put together a list of the highest CAPE values for the 46N, -68E grid point from the 20th Century Global Reanalysis

From 138 years of data (every 6 hours, totaling 201,616 soundings), today's observed CAPE ranked 7th

He acknowledged the varying methods of calculating CAPE, but this is a pretty good indication of significance of today's conditions

I had the good fortune to work with Patrick for a year or so. He is a future superstar in the meteorological community. Really excellent forecaster.

He has a twitter account that's worth following as well.

Yeah, I had a feeling that after last night's action (continous lightning, hail) that we weren't going to see anything amazing today.

EDIT: Whoa, a pine tree was cut in half in my front yard...damn, that thing has been there 30+ years...

Update...the pine tree was not cut in half, just some large branches.

In all seriousness...this may have been one of the strongest/worst squallines in the states history. Worst one I can recall where it affected border to border and corner to corner. Meh :arrowhead:

I wouldn't go that far, but 50-60mph winds will due tons of damage to foliated trees. Imagine a Cat 1 storm...lol.

I challenge you to find a worse one

If you use the metric of coverage..yeah it was impressive. Last radar image I saw looked like it went along with what Ryan said about srn CT. We knew this would whack areas further south that aren't always used to it.

If you use the metric of coverage..yeah it was impressive. Last radar image I saw looked like it went along with what Ryan said about srn CT. We knew this would whack areas further south that aren't always used to it.

In terms of where the thing peaked it conveniently fit in Connecticut's borders very well. Here are the power outages in CT... never seen such widespread coverage like this.

Normally on a day thunderstorm day you get 50-70k customers in the dark. 140k is ice storm material.

post-40-0-43469000-1307662880.png

Archived