• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

The situation this afternoon is going to be pretty tough...this is why the SPC held off on going moderate. This is where we actually probably want a downsloping flow, at least for a few hours just so we can dry things out a bit and get some more sun in here.

Looking at some things too I actually wouldn't be totally shocked if some locations kept a more southerly component to their winds today, the low-level wind field isn't overly strong so 0-1km helicity might not be that great but if the 6z NAM is correct wind fields 0-3km helicity could be fairly high...this could really enhance the threat for large hail, especially if we see a few supercells.

I imagine though once that s/w energy moves away things should quiet down for a few hours at least and given how warm things are already and how warm the low-level air mass is we should warm pretty quickly.

Considering you called me crazy yesterday when I said there'd be storms with damaging wind the main threat..we should do just fine today

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The situation this afternoon is going to be pretty tough...this is why the SPC held off on going moderate. This is where we actually probably want a downsloping flow, at least for a few hours just so we can dry things out a bit and get some more sun in here.

Looking at some things too I actually wouldn't be totally shocked if some locations kept a more southerly component to their winds today, the low-level wind field isn't overly strong so 0-1km helicity might not be that great but if the 6z NAM is correct wind fields 0-3km helicity could be fairly high...this could really enhance the threat for large hail, especially if we see a few supercells.

I imagine though once that s/w energy moves away things should quiet down for a few hours at least and given how warm things are already and how warm the low-level air mass is we should warm pretty quickly.

you give this too much weight.

Downslope flow will only dry out the lower levels. It will not dry out mid level cloud decks at 10,000ft. If anything, downslope will lower dews..not what you want.

yesterday/overnight/this morning is good example of modeling not being the be-all-end-all. humans and pattern recognition FTW. LOL.

Seriously. I really did not see to many robotic calls for what was seen last night. I expected a few to see a brief storm or 2, but it really overperformed.

Kudos to the mets and weenies who called it

I gotta say....while the lower levels don't have much speed (thinking 925-850mb), the directional shear from the surface to 500mb is pretty impressive.

seems the mid-level fields have come in progressively faster over the last 36 hours as well. nothing mind blowing but better than it looked.

Almost 50kts at 500 and around 40kts at 700. That's good enough, especially given these high MLCAPES.

Yeah that's great... combined with 4000 j/kg of CAPE lol

I'll be interested to see how backed our boundary layer flow is this afternoon. Given the large amount of 0-6km bulk shear and high CAPE supercells are possible but a real nasty squall line seems most likely.

OKX not impressed

HIGHLY UNSTABLE AIRMASS DEVELOPS TODAY...AND CAPE VALUES INCREASING TO 3000-5000 J/KG AND A LIFTED INDEX ANYWHERE FROM -5C TO -8C. HOWEVER...WITH THE SFC LOW PASSING THROUGH NORTHERN NY AND NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND...AND H5 SHORTWAVE PASSING NORTH OF THE AREA...WILL HAVE TROUBLE FINDING A TRIGGERING MECHANISM FOR CONVECTION THIS AFTERNOON AND INTO EARLY THIS EVENING. SHEAR VALUES QUITE LOW. DUE TO THE INSTABILITY OVER THE REGION...ANY STORMS THAT DEVELOP HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BECOME SEVERE...AND THE STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS THE REGION IN A SLIGHT RISK FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS...BUT WITH THE BULK OF THE FORCING WELL NORTH OF THE REGION...WILL ONLY CARRY CHANCE POPS.

Almost 50kts at 500 and around 40kts at 700. That's good enough, especially given these high MLCAPES.

there's a nice solid area of 50 knots on the 12z sounding at WMW...and looks like in general lots of 40+. i think even as recently as yesterday's early morning runs they were more like 30 to 40 knots?

OKX not impressed

HIGHLY UNSTABLE AIRMASS DEVELOPS TODAY...AND CAPE VALUES INCREASING TO 3000-5000 J/KG AND A LIFTED INDEX ANYWHERE FROM -5C TO -8C. HOWEVER...WITH THE SFC LOW PASSING THROUGH NORTHERN NY AND NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND...AND H5 SHORTWAVE PASSING NORTH OF THE AREA...WILL HAVE TROUBLE FINDING A TRIGGERING MECHANISM FOR CONVECTION THIS AFTERNOON AND INTO EARLY THIS EVENING. SHEAR VALUES QUITE LOW. DUE TO THE INSTABILITY OVER THE REGION...ANY STORMS THAT DEVELOP HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BECOME SEVERE...AND THE STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS THE REGION IN A SLIGHT RISK FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS...BUT WITH THE BULK OF THE FORCING WELL NORTH OF THE REGION...WILL ONLY CARRY CHANCE POPS.

The trigger will be any cold pool that develops from tstms to their north. How many times has the MA looked capped, but tstms race through that area with wicked CAPES, thanks to a nice cold pool that forms.

Archived