• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah its definitely from the EML, but there is still a lot of questions as to why. It would be interesting to find out exactly what causes the ridiculous increase in lightning. I'm sure that fat CAPE you mentioned is a big reason and how it affects the charges.

Its funny how you immediately think of those southern plains storms when you see lightning like this and of course, they usually have EML's in place for their events. Its fun to watch at night though. I'm actually going outside now to see if I can see the light show down near the MA?CT border to my SW. I can usually get a solid 30-40 miles on light shows, so I should be able to see this one.

Yeah, you should be able to see it...there's a ton of lightning in northern Windham county right now.

Wow, can see lightning from this storm already and i"m located at the coast. Interesting.

Dude, we're like 20 miles away from that bad boy and JUST got bombed with a close C to G strike that briefly knocked out power. Actually we are getting quite a few ground shakers still...

Yeah its definitely from the EML, but there is still a lot of questions as to why. It would be interesting to find out exactly what causes the ridiculous increase in lightning. I'm sure that fat CAPE you mentioned is a big reason and how it affects the charges.

Its funny how you immediately think of those southern plains storms when you see lightning like this and of course, they usually have EML's in place for their events. Its fun to watch at night though. I'm actually going outside now to see if I can see the light show down near the MA?CT border to my SW. I can usually get a solid 30-40 miles on light shows, so I should be able to see this one.

A total hypothesis here---

I'm thinking it has something to do with the polarity of water molecules, in contrast to the lack of polarity of the diatomic gases (N2, O2) that comprise the "dry" part of the atmosphere. The dipole of water molecules will tend to align with the electric field present within a cloud due to charge separation, and in doing that, will dampen that electric field. In other words water vapor will kinda act as a dielectric. This is evidenced by the fact that water has a temperature-dependent dielectric constant of about 30-80x that of dry air at STP.

Since an EML by definition is comprised of low-RH air, EML air could potentially allow a greater electric field to build. Just a hypothesis though.

A total hypothesis here---

I'm thinking it has something to do with the polarity of water molecules, in contrast to the lack of polarity of the diatomic gases (N2, O2) that comprise the "dry" part of the atmosphere. The dipole of water molecules will tend to align with the electric field present within a cloud due to charge separation, and in doing that, will dampen that electric field. In other words water vapor will kinda act as a dielectric. This is evidenced by the fact that water has a temperature-dependent dielectric constant of about 30-80x that of dry air at STP.

Since an EML by definition is comprised of low-RH air, EML air could potentially allow a greater electric field to build. Just a hypothesis though.

Certainly makes sense. i know there is ongoing research in this stuff. These EMLs definitely seem to produce major lightning.

notice how attleboro is getting missed just to the southwest this time...whereas the last batch of svr warned storms somehow skipped around them just the the ne. that place is cursed for storm enthusiasts.

They used to be a great spot in KUs...but I think you living there screwed them from now on. They got jobbed in 1/12 and 12/26 in different directions.

They used to be a great spot in KUs...but I think you living there screwed them from now on. They got jobbed in 1/12 and 12/26 in different directions.

Attlehole continues to live up to its name I guess.

My folks on Eastern LI are about to get a wake up call from the 'ol 3 am "WTF was that" positive stroke outside their window.

These EMLs seem to put on amazing light shows. I know there is still research ongoing with lightning, but it seems you get better charge separation and a more favorable environment for lightning in the EML airmasses. The lightning I saw to the west with that earlier storm was veyr much like the 6/1 lightning and storms I've seen in Texas.

Ray and I were out watching the Bs and the Sox and I walked back in and said "holy sh** there is an awesome light show to the west". The storm itself didn't do much, it either weakened rapidly or maybe it missed, but the lightning went down as it got nearly overhead and SE of us and there wasn't much rain.

High amounts of MUcape seem to do the trick too...some of the BEST lightning displays I've seen have come with high amounts of MUcape.

High amounts of MUcape seem to do the trick too...some of the BEST lightning displays I've seen have come with high amounts of MUcape.

It's gotta be CAPE and charge separation. That's the one thing these have going for them. I've seen frequent lightning, but last week was just off the charts. You don't light CONS LTG reports at BOS too often. BDL had one tonight.

It's gotta be CAPE and charge separation. That's the one thing these have going for them. I've seen frequent lightning, but last week was just off the charts. You don't light CONS LTG reports at BOS too often. BDL had one tonight.

I probably saw more CG strikes in my trip from BDL to New Haven than I have in my entire life combined...CG's were just shooting everywhere and like 5-10+ at a time and it was just so consistent.

Got some great video...probably be a few days I'm guessing before my friend gets it up...quite a few videos to upload and edit.

I probably saw more CG strikes in my trip from BDL to New Haven than I have in my entire life combined...CG's were just shooting everywhere and like 5-10+ at a time and it was just so consistent.Got some great video...probably be a few days I'm guessing before my friend gets it up...quite a few videos to upload and edit.
yeah i thought we could get a nice lightning event a few days ago....recall the epic 8/4/08 video I posted. that was an outrageous e vent too. congrats ! pouring here at work....hopefully we all see a major ougbreak later to finish us off =]

Archived