• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa, that cell popping up over the Berks has strengthened...we may get hit with a one-two punch. Maybe I will stay up for this...

ENX still showing 63 dBZ's...that's some good old fashioned late Spring overnight SNE downpours right there.

Holy crap, this stuff is definitely holding strength and then some heading into this area. Thunder is starting to pick up...not a ton of lightning, but we'll see what happens as it gets closer.

Let me know how it goes. My best friend's parents live in East Longmeadow.

Radar is decent from ALB...good winds.

post-13-0-23896900-1307595270.png

Awesome...there is now some serious lightning going on in the distance...like I've only seen twice in this area over the past 10 years. Wouldn't call it continuous, but I'm seeing flashes every few seconds for sure.

The fireflies out there are definitely feeling it. Haven't seen fireflies like this in years.

Let me know how it goes. My best friend's parents live in East Longmeadow.

Radar is decent from ALB...good winds.

No sweat. I'm all over this.

This is now CONTINOUS lightning coming in...holy crap. This is going to be intense.The sky is insane...

Things winding down here...wow, that was certainly one for the books.

Continuous lightning, some hail, heavy rain and strong winds (not to mention wild animals running around the yard)...you don't see lightning like that around here very often. Not a lot of C to G, but the sky was absolutely lit up. It doesn't get any better than that...I don't care if you go down to Miami or wherever.

And this just a week after I was getting nailed with hailstones while driving just north of a tornado on the Mass pike...damn, what a week.

These EMLs seem to put on amazing light shows. I know there is still research ongoing with lightning, but it seems you get better charge separation and a more favorable environment for lightning in the EML airmasses. The lightning I saw to the west with that earlier storm was veyr much like the 6/1 lightning and storms I've seen in Texas.

Ray and I were out watching the Bs and the Sox and I walked back in and said "holy sh** there is an awesome light show to the west". The storm itself didn't do much, it either weakened rapidly or maybe it missed, but the lightning went down as it got nearly overhead and SE of us and there wasn't much rain.

These EMLs seem to put on amazing light shows. I know there is still research ongoing with lightning, but it seems you get better charge separation and a more favorable environment for lightning in the EML airmasses. The lightning I saw to the west with that earlier storm was veyr much like the 6/1 lightning and storms I've seen in Texas.

Ray and I were out watching the Bs and the Sox and I walked back in and said "holy sh** there is an awesome light show to the west". The storm itself didn't do much, it either weakened rapidly or maybe it missed, but the lightning went down as it got nearly overhead and SE of us and there wasn't much rain.

Yeah, not sure why that is but must have something to do with the fatter CAPE that EML's tend to generate.

Today actually quietly slips in the record books as a northeast EML event. Two 3" hail reports in Greene county NY with an EML on the 00z OKX sounding.

Yeah, not sure why that is but must have something to do with the fatter CAPE that EML's tend to generate.

Today actually quietly slips in the record books as a northeast EML event. Two 3" hail reports in Greene county NY with an EML on the 00z OKX sounding.

Yeah its definitely from the EML, but there is still a lot of questions as to why. It would be interesting to find out exactly what causes the ridiculous increase in lightning. I'm sure that fat CAPE you mentioned is a big reason and how it affects the charges.

Its funny how you immediately think of those southern plains storms when you see lightning like this and of course, they usually have EML's in place for their events. Its fun to watch at night though. I'm actually going outside now to see if I can see the light show down near the MA?CT border to my SW. I can usually get a solid 30-40 miles on light shows, so I should be able to see this one.

Archived