Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Florida 2011 Spring & Summer Wet Season Part II

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real test is still to come, i.e. the mountains of Hispaniola and Cuba. It's going to be a tall order to survive those so we'll see. Emily could easily dissipate over the next 24 hours from them, especially since there's shear still kicking it's arse.

I get back to Florida Friday afternoon, pretty good timing if this indeed becomes a threat.

The real test is still to come, i.e. the mountains of Hispaniola and Cuba. It's going to be a tall order to survive those so we'll see. Emily could easily dissipate over the next 24 hours from them, especially since there's shear still kicking it's arse.

I get back to Florida Friday afternoon, pretty good timing if this indeed becomes a threat.

Unless Emily starts a NW turn and soon she could certainly nearly clear the entire run of Hispaniola and deal with just extreme western H and eastern Cuba. Also, shear is relaxing. So, we have a big bowl of who the fook knows laugh.gif

Unless Emily starts a NW turn and soon she could certainly nearly clear the entire run of Hispaniola and deal with just extreme western H and eastern Cuba. Also, I believe shear is relaxing. So, we have a big bowl of who the fook knows laugh.gif

Yea if anything, she looks like she's about to thread the needle so to speak.

Unless Emily starts a NW turn and soon she could certainly nearly clear the entire run of Hispaniola and deal with just extreme western H and eastern Cuba. Also, shear is relaxing. So, we have a big bowl of who the fook knows laugh.gif

I doubt she'll get west of the Cuban mountains, and if she doesn't manage to her low-level circulation will be pillaged.

As much as the trends can be our friend the trends are not in our favor so far today.

I still don't see this as anything more than a high surf/beach erosion issue for Florida coastal zones. Maybe a few passing showers along the coast but I think we could be looking at a pretty nice & dry weekend based on the current trends.

As much as the trends can be our friend the trends are not in our favor so far today.

I still don't see this as anything more than a high surf/beach erosion issue for Florida coastal zones. Maybe a few passing showers along the coast but I think we could be looking at a pretty nice & dry weekend based on the current trends.

Agreed. There seems to be more solid agreement that whatever Emily is in 24-48 will be picked up and tossed NE into the open sea.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Don't the steering currents have more of an effect on established systems? Wouldn't this be the reason Emily is still on the westerly track? That being said why couldn't she just stay on the current track and move either up the spine of the state or get into the Gulf?

I know there aren't any easy answers but so far 280 has been the track and it hasn't budged from that even the models and the NHC said it will turn.

So, back to daily FL wet season banter after poofage of a wet and windy dream.

I had a some nice echos around MBY on the Treasure Coast but all I got was a nice light show. AND, where is flwxwatcher45 ? unsure.gif

I thought I remember flwxwatcher45 saying he was going on vacation a few pages back.

Ok, I gave in after all...

I'd also like to add to my above reasoning that progressive dry air entrainment from the north, as well as much higher shear north of the system than south of it, may allow for the center of circulation to redevelop to the south multiple times between now and Hispanola, further enhancing the southward track.

post-378-0-25249600-1312227788.jpg

It looks like I was successful in forecasting a track south and west of NHC for the first few days of Emily, and also successful in being the only one to issue a forecast on the 1st or 2nd that didn't take Emily up to hurricane strength. I had a feeling that the combination of shear, dry air and terrain would prove too much for Emily.

The second half of my forecast was obviously a complete failure :axe:, on account of the UK previously outperforming the GFS on the handling of the Atlantic ridge, then suddenly the GFS overtaking the UK right after forecast issuance. In the future, if I do another one of these, I'll give more uncertainty in the forecast and/or wait till the system is named before issuing one.

Right now I'm feeling pretty good about Emily re-developing over the Bahamas. Probably a bit of wind and waves for the east coast of FL regardless of redevelopment. Better than nothing. :pepsi:

Interesting days ahead it seems.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL

159 PM EDT FRI AUG 5 2011

.AVIATION...

THE REMNANTS OF T.S. EMILY CONTINUE TO TRACK NORTHWEST...WITH

DEEPER CONVECTION ACROSS THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS. THERE IS A BROAD

AREA OF LOW PRESSURE ASSOCIATED WITH IT. AS THE LOW PRESSURE AREA

DRIFTS NORTHWEST TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY...BANDS OF WIDE SPREAD CLOUDINESS

AND SHOWERS WILL PASS WESTWARD THE ATLANTIC WATERS...WITH ALL EAST

COAST TAF SITES ASSIGNED VCSH WITH JUST PASSING SHOWERS EXPECTED.

LATEST GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT THE DEEPER LAYERED TROPICAL

MOISTURE AND ASSOCIATED CONVECTION WILL PROBABLY STAY ON THE

NORTHEAST SIDE OF THE SURFACE LOW AND LIKELY STAY ACROSS THE

BAHAMAS. BUT BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON INCREASING MOISTURE AND CLOUDS

SHOULD RESULT IN SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ALL SOUTH

FLORIDA TAF SITES BY THE AFTERNOON. ONLY MODEST EAST TO NORTHEAST

WINDS EXPECTED BY SATURDAY. NEED TO KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE IS

STILL A CHANCE THAT THE REMNANTS OF EMILY COULD RE-DEVELOP...SO

WILL NEED TO KEEP CLOSELY MONITORING THE SITUATION.

It looks like I was successful in forecasting a track south and west of NHC for the first few days of Emily, and also successful in being the only one to issue a forecast on the 1st or 2nd that didn't take Emily up to hurricane strength. I had a feeling that the combination of shear, dry air and terrain would prove too much for Emily.

The second half of my forecast was obviously a complete failure :axe:, on account of the UK previously outperforming the GFS on the handling of the Atlantic ridge, then suddenly the GFS overtaking the UK right after forecast issuance. In the future, if I do another one of these, I'll give more uncertainty in the forecast and/or wait till the system is named before issuing one.

Right now I'm feeling pretty good about Emily re-developing over the Bahamas. Probably a bit of wind and waves for the east coast of FL regardless of redevelopment. Better than nothing. :pepsi:

Hey you were half right. In forecasting that's like hitting a home run.:lol:

The low it self is located just off the north shore of central Cuba. Shear maps indicate a decent environment. Some dry air around the area but not to bad so maybe we could see regeneration.

What a difference a few days and Shredderola make.

I was expecting to check into Singer Island with the threat of a TS a few days ago and when I check in today it is sunny and dry. This is an amazing place. Have been here only two hours and have already encountered two manatees, large jellyfish, and some sharks. I reccomend this place to anyone.

There is a two pound lobster living his last few hours at this time before I consume him later this evening.

I was expecting to check into Singer Island with the threat of a TS a few days ago and when I check in today it is sunny and dry. This is an amazing place. Have been here only two hours and have already encountered two manatees, large jellyfish, and some sharks. I reccomend this place to anyone.

There is a two pound lobster living his last few hours at this time before I consume him later this evening.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The parts of the FL east coast that are still wild are incredible.

The parts of the FL east coast that are still wild are incredible.

Yea I go to the Everglades all the time. You see 100x more wildlife than at a zoo. I wonder if there's any other place in the US that has the amount of diverse wildlife that the Everglades have.

Archived