Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Florida 2011 Spring & Summer Wet Season Part II

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First highly dangerous critter sighting in the yard tonight, big copperhead snake. Took 3 shots to the head to die.

Also finding buffo toads every night, they're frogs that spray venom for those that don't know.

This sounds like a job for the Toad Strangler.:lol:

Seriously though, they have been a problem this year around here also.. A few articles in the paper of them killing some pets in yards after tangling with the toads.

This sounds like a job for the Toad Strangler.:lol:

Seriously though, they have been a problem this year around here also.. A few articles in the paper of them killing some pets in yards after tangling with the toads.

Yeah, they killed one of my dogs a few years ago. That's why I hunt them.

I always am on the lookout when doing yard work. So far in two years I have seen Southern Black Racers and Corn Snakes in my yard. None of the bad ones. A young kid did get bit by a Eastern Diamond Back in Stuart a few months ago and had to get airlifted to Miami for treatment. Last I heard was he was getting better after many doses of anti venom. How big was this copperhead? yikes.png

yes, it has been very quiet and drying out a bit again. I was so upset with the strangler that stalked MBY but never entered on Saturday that I changed my forum name. Hopefully this will entice a few visits hotdog.gif

Toad strangler eh? :thumbsup:

That pretty cool. When you go to other forums on here they are going to be saying WTF, unless they are from these parts.

I think it was turtle who had a pretty good one a couple pages back, uber-toad.:lol:

I always am on the lookout when doing yard work. So far in two years I have seen Southern Black Racers and Corn Snakes in my yard. None of the bad ones. A young kid did get bit by a Eastern Diamond Back in Stuart a few months ago and had to get airlifted to Miami for treatment. Last I heard was he was getting better after many doses of anti venom. How big was this copperhead? yikes.png

I honestly didn't measure it, but probably 2-3 ft. About as big as they get, which isn't surprising considering the environment down here. Everything grows like it's on steroids.

I've seen coral snakes (the worst), diamondbacks, cottonmouths, and all sorts of other multi-colored snakes that I have no idea what they were. My dad even found a full grown python in the yard once many years ago.

Drying out again.:thumbsdown:

First part of the month I at least had some rain for 8 days straight. Last 2 weeks not a drop.

Last few days some very large storms were coming this way then they completely dissipate.

A whole lot out in the gulf but it's not making much progress east.

First part of the month I at least had some rain for 8 days straight. Last 2 weeks not a drop.

Last few days some very large storms were coming this way then they completely dissipate.

I was in the same boat as you until yesterday when I got a nice soaker. Not a toad but a nice one. Must be the name change lol

Storms starting to fire up now over inland areas around me.. Looks like a general South to North movement of the storms. So it looks like the storms firing up around me in Polk County, may visit you later today.

A little late night snack in southern Miami-Dade tonight coming in off the Atlantic. Lots of lightning. It is a nice change of pace to get some heavy rain after dark, usually it is just leftovers or 2-minute showers.

Yeah, it's been a nice surprise. Nothing near the coast but convective debris all day long, easterlies keeping convection well inland. Diurnal heating goes away, convection dies, then *boom* we get something off the ocean. :popcorn:

A little late night snack in southern Miami-Dade tonight coming in off the Atlantic. Lots of lightning. It is a nice change of pace to get some heavy rain after dark, usually it is just leftovers or 2-minute showers.

I'm hearing lots of toads now, the storm must be nearing here.

91L looks like a threat to PR and who knows beyond.

At least it looks like something to track. Hard to believe we are in August already next week.

Personally I am really interested in the future of 91L as we have a condo at the Singer Island Marriott next weekend. At a minimum the surf conditions will likely increasethumbsupsmileyanim.gif

91L looks like a threat to PR and who knows beyond.

This looks like it could become a decent storm. Judging by some of the talk in the 91L thread, it might get interesting later next week in the SE forum. At least this looks like it could become the first hurricane of the year.

Did you just finish watching Forrest Gump? laugh.gif

I imagine we will get a legitimate threat at some point between 8/15 and 10/31. I will let you know at that point if I'm rooting for it yikes.png

:lol:

I agree. I think Florida will get some threats this year. Run Forrest, run is what we will be saying if a Cat 5 is bearing down on MJW.:lol:

:lol:

I agree. I think Florida will get some threats this year. Run Forrest, run is what we will be saying if a Cat 5 is bearing down on MJW.:lol:

LOL.

Well yea, I don't want a Cat. 5. A 1 or 2 would be fine. 3 is pushing it because then you got to worry about it becoming a 4 before it reaches landfall. No 4 or 5 though.

LOL.

Well yea, I don't want a Cat. 5. A 1 or 2 would be fine. 3 is pushing it because then you got to worry about it becoming a 4 before it reaches landfall. No 4 or 5 though.

91L has garnered a ton of attention in the main wx discussion forum and future Emily is something to watch closely here in FL as some models are trending further south and west the past 18 hours or so before the seemingly inevitable re-curve and kick out to the fishes. None-the-less the first real "threat" to track in our BY.

91L has garnered a ton of attention in the main wx discussion forum and future Emily is something to watch closely here in FL as some models are trending further south and west the past 18 hours or so before the seemingly inevitable re-curve and kick out to the fishes. None-the-less the first real "threat" to track in our BY.

Yea, I lurk those threads. God forbid you say something in there though. LOL.

Should make for an interesting week either way.

I said this in the 91L forum, but I thought I'd say it here too since it's a bit friendlier place for informal discussion:

The longer the circulation remains weak and surface based, the further west it's going to go, closer to the BAM-shallow. GFS, EC and especially the UK came in much further west. Convection is beginning to fire again, but I think it's already too late for the east track.

I'm willing to bet this thing goes south of Miami, maybe over the Keys, and makes landfall in the panhandle as a Tropical Storm. Don't really have time to draw a map right now but that's my forecast! :popcorn:

Ok, I gave in after all...

I'd also like to add to my above reasoning that progressive dry air entrainment from the north, as well as much higher shear north of the system than south of it, may allow for the center of circulation to redevelop to the south multiple times between now and Hispanola, further enhancing the southward track.

post-378-0-25249600-1312227788.jpg

Ok, I gave in after all...

I'd also like to add to my above reasoning that progressive dry air entrainment from the north, as well as much higher shear north of the system than south of it, may allow for the center of circulation to redevelop to the south multiple times between now and Hispanola, further enhancing the southward track.

post-378-0-25249600-1312227788.jpg

Thanks! 91L has been a real tough one. The NHC has had just as tough a time with the genesis of this one as 91L has. Interesting prognosis.

Archived