Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Florida Fall/Winter Weather

MJW155

I do understand what you mean but I am greedy.:lol:

I do admit some cooler weather around x-mas is nice. It does feel a little strange hanging x-mas lights outside if it's 80 + but after that I could handle 11 months of heat and storms.

Like you said things can start happening in May and many years May is a transition month and the storms can start cranking or a trough gets stuck across the state bringing the storms.Oh well, I will rough it for a couple more months.:lol:

rough it out .... yeah me too :P I think MJW is the most southern member of the FL crew? I know that once you get south of WPB it is a different world and true SF is a jungle come the wet season. They do not feel the "brunt" :lol: of the cool weather has most of us do.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rough it out .... yeah me too :P I think MJW is the most southern member of the FL crew? I know that once you get south of WPB it is a different world and true SF is a jungle come the wet season. They do not feel the "brunt" :lol: of the cool weather has most of us do.

Yes, I think MJW is the southern most member here. MJW does miss the brunt of the brutal winter conditions we face in Central and North Florida.:lol:

On another note,

I had a nice band of Showers come through this morning and hoping to get some heating today out ahead of the front that might help spark a t-storm or two this Afternoon.

Yes, I think MJW is the southern most member here. MJW does miss the brunt of the brutal winter conditions we face in Central and North Florida.:lol:

On another note,

I had a nice band of Showers come through this morning and hoping to get some heating today out ahead of the front that might help spark a t-storm or two this Afternoon.

Pretty crazy if I'm the southernmost member on the board. LOL.

Lake Okeechobee protects SE Florida big time. I don't think I've had temps below 35 this year at all and maybe 5x below 50. It's been a great winter actually. Usually upper 70's or low '80's every day w/ lows in the 60's.

Pretty crazy if I'm the southernmost member on the board. LOL.

Lake Okeechobee protects SE Florida big time. I don't think I've had temps below 35 this year at all and maybe 5x below 50. It's been a great winter actually. Usually upper 70's or low '80's every day w/ lows in the 60's.

Ah-Hhheemm...

Well, at least of the more "active" posters, I guess it would go to you...

February was a really dry month here in Lakeland; only bringing .55 inches of rain for the month, compared to 2.55 being the normal. I have a feeling the remaining months of the dry season will be sparking quite a few wildfires!!

Yeah... Enough so that you might want to change your name from flwxwatcher45 to flFIREwatcher9000! It's going to be a pretty bad season... I don't think it will be as bad as 1998... but it might get close considering a fire has already closed down portions of I-95. A fire also threatened homes in Manatee County (I grew up in Sarasota).... It looks like you will get at least a little bit of rain with this system moving through Sunday.

Yeah... Enough so that you might want to change your name from flwxwatcher45 to flFIREwatcher9000! It's going to be a pretty bad season... I don't think it will be as bad as 1998... but it might get close considering a fire has already closed down portions of I-95. A fire also threatened homes in Manatee County (I grew up in Sarasota).... It looks like you will get at least a little bit of rain with this system moving through Sunday.

Yes, I saw that 16,000 acre brush fire in Brevard that closed I-95 and we have had a few small fires in Polk county so far. It's been really windy the last few days and what worries me is a big fire will get going during windy conditions this spring. I am hoping for any rain we can get, so I will be watching the chances this week-end.

We have been very fortunate with the rain so far this year. Ended Feb with 2.69 and started out March with almost an inch from this last system. The KBDI below about says it all. The southern third of Fla is very dry. Brevard and Volusia aren't that bad so I am surprised at what's going on over there. Speaking of that fire the strong ESE winds today are bringing the smell over this way.

kbdi-detail-state.png

We have been very fortunate with the rain so far this year. Ended Feb with 2.69 and started out March with almost an inch from this last system. The KBDI below about says it all. The southern third of Fla is very dry. Brevard and Volusia aren't that bad so I am surprised at what's going on over there. Speaking of that fire the strong ESE winds today are bringing the smell over this way.

Wow.. big difference in our rain totals for Feb and for March. I have .20 for March so far. It won't be long until the drier conditions work it's way up the state.

February was a really dry month here in Lakeland; only bringing .55 inches of rain for the month, compared to 2.55 being the normal. I have a feeling the remaining months of the dry season will be sparking quite a few wildfires!!

It has been incredibly dry by me and not to beat a dead horse but if the wet season started tomorrow it would be a day too late!

It has been incredibly dry by me and not to beat a dead horse but if the wet season started tomorrow it would be a day too late!

Yes, the South half of the state has started to dry out. Hopefully the wildfire season won't be all that bad but I have a feeling once we get into April, the fires will start flaring.

Per SPC at least some chance of some stronger T-storms on Sunday .

...ERN SEABOARD FROM SE VA SWD TO NRN/CNTRL FL...

BANDS OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS WILL COVER MOST OF THE APPALACHIAN

MOUNTAINS AND ERN GULF COASTAL REGION FROM PA SWD TO THE FL

PANHANDLE AT 12Z SUNDAY. CONVECTION WILL BE COINCIDENTAL WITH A

COLD FRONT SURGING SEWD IN TANDEM WITH THE AFOREMENTIONED

LARGE-SCALE TROUGH. PRE-FRONTAL AIR MASS FROM NRN/CNTRL FL NWD INTO

THE PIEDMONT/COASTAL PLAINS OF GA...SC...NC AND SE VA WILL MOISTEN

CONSIDERABLY OWING 12-18 HOURS OF WRN ATLANTIC/ERN GULF OF MEXICO

ONSHORE FLOW /PRECIPITABLE WATER IN EXCESS OF 1.25 INCHES/. WHILE

FORECAST SOUNDINGS EXHIBIT A DEEP MOIST TROPOSPHERE WITH ONLY A FEW

HUNDRED J PER KG MLCAPE...LOW AND DEEP-LAYER SHEAR WILL INCREASE

THROUGH THE EARLY AFTERNOON. EXPECT THAT MORNING BANDS OF

CONVECTION WILL CONTINUE TO EVOLVE EWD TOWARD THE COAST AND INTO

NRN/CNTRL FL THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. THE LOW CAPE-HIGH SHEAR

SITUATION WILL KEEP THE THREAT OF ISOLATED SEVERE STORMS /BRIEF

TORNADO AND DAMAGING WIND GUSTS/ EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LARGER PCPN

SHIELD. THIS WILL ESPECIALLY BE THE CASE ACROSS ERN NC/SE VA NEAR

THE TRACK OF A WEAK SFC LOW AND ACROSS NRN/CNTRL FL WHERE

COMPARATIVELY MORE INSTABILITY WILL BE REALIZED. ANY SEVERE THREAT

SHOULD WANE BY EVENING AS STORMS MOVE OFF THE COAST INTO THE

ATLANTIC WATERS.

This afternoons Tampa AFD sounds promising for the rain chances and chances for T-storms on Sunday. The severe chance isn't very high but I will take a decent boomer this time of the year.

BETWEEN 12-18Z SUNDAY THE FRONT WILL SLOWLY PUSH TOWARDS

THE AREA. THE STRONGEST DYNAMIC FORCING WILL BE WELL NORTH WITH

THE UPPER TROUGH AXIS IN NORTH GEORGIA. BUT A SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS

PROGGED TO SWING THROUGH SOUTH FLORIDA ON SUNDAY...AND 700 MB

OMEGA ALONG THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY LOOKS STRONG AS WELL...SO

COMBINING THE FORCING WITH THE DEEP WARM ADVECTION MOISTURE IN

PLACE WILL BRING GOOD RAIN CHANCES FOR THE AREA WITH THE FRONT.

INCLUDED SCATTERED STORMS EVERYWHERE WITH DECENT INSTABILITY AND

LIFT. AS FOR SEVERE...WIND FIELDS SHOW 0-6KM SHEAR WILL BE

MARGINAL AT 30-40KTS. FORECAST SOUNDINGS INDICATE UNIDIRECTIONAL

SHEAR PRIMARILY WITH DEEPER SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW. SPC SHOWS AN

ISOLATED SEVERE THREAT...AND THIS IS REASONABLE. WIDESPREAD SEVERE

NOT EXPECTED WITH ONLY MODERATE INSTABILITY AND SHEAR PRESENT.

Melbourne not too excited for this event.

From this afternoons discussion.

THE H30-H20 JET STREAK FEEDING THE STORM SYSTEM HAS A SSW-NNE

ORIENTATION...INDICATIVE A RAPIDLY LIFTING SYSTEM. THE CENTERS OF

SUCH STORM SYSTEMS TEND TO "OUTRUN" THE SRN EXTENSION OF THEIR

TRAILING TROFS...THUS LIMITING THE CONVECTIVE POTENTIAL FOR THE FL

PENINSULA. IT APPEARS THIS ONE WILL BE NO DIFFERENT. WHILE BOTH

ECMWF AND GFS MODELS INDICATE A SECONDARY SFC LOW FORMING OVER THE

CAROLINAS OVERNIGHT IN THE WAKE OF THE LIFTING JET...THE RAPID

FORWARD MOTION AND STRONG LIFTING ORIENTATION OF THE TROF WILL LIMIT

THE WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY FOR HIGH LVLS OF INSTABILITY TO BUILD UP.

SRN EXTENSION OF THE CONVECTIVE LINE OVER THE NW GOMEX SUGGESTS LKLY

POPS AREAWIDE SUN. TIMING OF THE FROPA WOULD PUT BKN-OVC SKIES OVER

THEN NRN CWA BY DAYBREAK. THIS WILL LIMIT SFC HEATING AND IMPEDE

TSRA FORMATION FROM ORLANDO-CAPE CANAVERAL NWD...THOUGH MID/UPR LVL

DYNAMIC LIFT SHOULD ALLOW ISOLD STORMS TO DVLP. TO THE S...WARMER

TEMPS AND SLIGHTLY LESS INITIAL CLOUD COVER SHOULD ALLOW SCT TSRAS

TO DVLP BY EARLY AFTN. GENERAL RAINFALL WILL RANGE BETWEEN ONE

QUARTER AND ONE HALF INCH THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING.

Well that was pretty lame.:thumbsdown:

Next front scheduled for the Thurs/Fri time frame.

Yes, I am looking at radar and things have just fallen apart. Not one drop of rain for me in Lakeland. The sun is out and maybe that will help create enough instability to fire things up again one the front approaches. The best dynamics are pulling away though, so not getting my hopes up. Like you said ,maybe the system Thursday will offer us a better chance of some decent rain/storms.

We got a bit of light rain this morning here, but nothing much. Looks like Brooksville ended up receiving 0.07" of rain. Overall, this was a bit of a fail, I think.

Total fail for me with this system as I got the big goose for precip. Hoping for some good rain with Thursdays system. This little blurb from the Melbourne AFD says it all.

MORE SIGNIFICANT AND TYPICAL FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR IS

THE AMOUNT OF DRYING THAT OCCURS BEHIND THESE FRONTS...AS WE HEAD

INTO OUR PEAK FIRE WEATHER SEASON.

&&

It was absolutely gorgeous outside today! The cold front brought in some awesome cooler air and the breeze felt nice! :thumbsup:

This might be the first time I've ever been in Florida in which it actually felt comfortable outside (note in the past I've always been here in June-August). :pimp:

Down to 49 now and should dip into the mid-40s by dawn.

It was absolutely gorgeous outside today! The cold front brought in some awesome cooler air and the breeze felt nice! :thumbsup:

This might be the first time I've ever been in Florida in which it actually felt comfortable outside (note in the past I've always been here in June-August). :pimp:

Down to 49 now and should dip into the mid-40s by dawn.

Back to around 80 today and looks like next rain chance is Thursday, with another shot of some cooler weather behind that system.

Back to around 80 today and looks like next rain chance is Thursday, with another shot of some cooler weather behind that system.

Little warm during the day today, but I went to Pine Island and Bayport at sunset and it was very comfortable. Made for a nice picnic. :thumbsup:

Looks like some interesting weather Thursday before I head back to North Carolina on Friday. I have to do some outdoor work tomorrow in the yard and it looks a bit warm, but oh well. Could even see some isolated thunderstorms, but hopefully I'll be done by the afternoon.

Little warm during the day today, but I went to Pine Island and Bayport at sunset and it was very comfortable. Made for a nice picnic. :thumbsup:

Looks like some interesting weather Thursday before I head back to North Carolina on Friday. I have to do some outdoor work tomorrow in the yard and it looks a bit warm, but oh well. Could even see some isolated thunderstorms, but hopefully I'll be done by the afternoon.

Not getting my hopes up for any Thunderstorms with this system. It looks like most of the action will be in North Florida. That being said I hope this system at least brings some decent rain, anything will help as we get deeper into the wildfire season.

Looks like the added dynamics associated with the upper-level trough have combined with the sea breeze to allow for some N-S oriented thunderstorms along the center of the peninsula. If it weren't for the squall line in the panhandle, it would look more like early summer.

Yep.. I had a decent sea breeze T-storm here in Lakeland a short time ago, a little preview of summer. The squall line in the panhandle is making steady progress so hopefully overnight into tomorrow morning some decent rains and storms will arrive.

Some decent rains from this system.:thumbsup:

I had a total of 1.70 of much needed rain. I was out walking last night and the Gust front out ahead of the first line of showers and storms was interesting as things where blowing around and it really cooled off for a short time. Looks like a long stretch of drier weather on tap after a couple chilly days and nights for this time of the year.

Archived