May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing 360 degree view of the damage near the hospital:

http://occip.it/pt51c7s3

ScreenHunter_48May222258.jpg

Thanks for posting that panorama, it is from a park in the NE corner of W. 26th and McClelland Blvd, facing the hospital is facing south. About where TWC was broadcasting most of this evening. A good bit of that area was a park, public pool, and medical related businesses that probably were closed, so perhaps why we didn't see many search and rescue units (hopefully they were out in the neighborhoods and retail areas.

Anyone know what the basement situation is like around there? Do a lot of houses have one?

From Mike Bette's reporting earlier, i did see a house ( well, what was left of it) with the below grade basement partially to almost fully exposed.

Anyone know what the basement situation is like around there? Do a lot of houses have one?

Storm chaser on CNN said there are not a lot of basements in the area. He was from Kansas City and he said there are a lot of basements up in that area but not the Joplin area.

I know man, there's been a few people on tv and such saying there was no warning, that's why I said that.

It seems like that happens a lot...people claiming there was no warning. Hopefully a lot of people took cover and weren't waiting to spot a rain-wrapped tornado.

A meteorologist from Joplin was on CNN earlier he said not many people have basements down that way. Though, he said a few years ago a large tornado passed south of Joplin and sparked an interest in tornado shelters going up around the city.

This looks like EF5 to me... I helped clean out after an EF4 last year and it wasn't nearly this bad. I mean this thing tossed vehicles like they were Matchbox toys... I saw a pickup that was flattened like a pancake.

This looks like EF5 to me... I helped clean out after an EF4 last year and it wasn't nearly this bad. I mean this thing tossed vehicles like they were Matchbox toys... I saw a pickup that was flattened like a pancake.

hard to tell without being there in person-photo's can be misleading.

It seems like that happens a lot...people claiming there was no warning. Hopefully a lot of people took cover and weren't waiting to spot a rain-wrapped tornado.

Ignorance is bliss. Seing that bad weather is advertised, they don't listen to tv's, radios... Seems like the whole weather network between chasers/spotters, NWS did a very fine job today during this tough ordeal.

Listening to the scanner is eery.. Temp morgue setting up..

7 DOA's ( dead on arrival) just heard @ a nursing home....

Temp ER setting up at a high school (didn't catch name)

No tornado warnings currently. Let's hope the action subsides for the night.

A meteorologist from Joplin was on CNN earlier he said not many people have basements down that way. Though, he said a few years ago a large tornado passed south of Joplin and sparked an interest in tornado shelters going up around the city.

That would probably be the Pitcher, OK EF4 on Mother's Day 2008.

The Tuscaloosa/BHAM tornado really ruined the whole "basement safe haven" thing for me.

Hearing that people were sucked out of their basements really got to me...

Unfortuantely, when EF-4 and EF-5 tornadoes come right through houses... 200+ mph winds will do that

hard to tell without being there in person-photo's can be misleading.

Yeah, though the limited evidence we do have is suggestive of an EF3 at minimum and probably stronger. I know there are exceptions but you're usually not going to get a death toll like this unless it's a violent tornado.

Unfortuantely, when EF-4 and EF-5 tornadoes come right through houses... 200+ mph winds will do that

You'reBetter off just getting in the car and driving away from an EF4 or EF5 IMO, especially if you have a qick escape rout.

Archived