• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Our first legit shot at some severe weather?

weatherwiz

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest wind with this system in the NE turns out to be straight line ..not tornadoes. 83 mph gust reported in the Niagara Frontier of NY in the last hour. Lots of straight line damage apparently. Still calm and ovc here.....

Not totally surprising, usually as the system advance this way the winds aloft align more unidirectional through the column.

:weenie:

I doubt we see any severe reports in central and eastern New England.

This stuff was even having trouble producing SVR in NJ/SE NY...hardly any reports.

I doubt we see any SVR up this way, were just way too stable and the strongest winds aloft are not penetrating through the inversion we have in place. In fact, I bet the strongest winds are occurring just outside of the convection rather than with it...that usually seems to be the case in these setups.

lol i definitely agree... but if there should have been one at all it should have been a bit further east.. compare radar from now to about 3 hrs ago in the watch zone.. much better

Atmospheric conditions this far east are not conducive for severe wx. There just isn't an any instability, there isn't even much in the way of elevated instability. THese storms are just firing due to the great deal of forcing/dynamical support aloft.

Atmospheric conditions this far east are not conducive for severe wx. There just isn't an any instability, there isn't even much in the way of elevated instability. THese storms are just firing due to the great deal of forcing/dynamical support aloft.

Well, whatever forcing this far east is proving better than the the instability out west in NY so far.... at least thats how radar makes it APPEAR.

This stuff was even having trouble producing SVR in NJ/SE NY...hardly any reports.

I doubt we see any SVR up this way, were just way too stable and the strongest winds aloft are not penetrating through the inversion we have in place. In fact, I bet the strongest winds are occurring just outside of the convection rather than with it...that usually seems to be the case in these setups.

Temps stayed in the mid 60's here all morning with thick cloud cover so there was not much chance for some solar heating.

When what looked like the strongest storms were just W of here (over Moneypit) it actually brightened a bit. lol

Now just steady light rain so the Berks and associated foothills chewed this line up.

Well, whatever forcing this far east is proving better than the the instability out west in NY so far.... at least thats how radar makes it APPEAR.

When it looked like I was about to have 40dbz echoes overhead they just disappeared. Few distant rumbles.

The storms we had monday and tuesday nights were much more impressive as far as thunder, lightning and wind.

It's basically impossible to get svr this time of year with a S flow, forget it. Sure NY/PA and south west does fine. Hopefully we get a few nice heat ridges to start building in, if only to get ssts up. Just miserable out there, thank God for next weeks warmup.

Pretty much sums it up, from five days ago.

The radar may look better as in more action but that doesn't really mean anything as far as severe goes. Remember a Severe Thunderstorm Watch is issued when atmospheric conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms, not just thunderstorms.

As the cold front continued to push east the level of forcing actually increased as winds aloft, mainly in the mid levels. Plus, mid level lapse rates are a bit more steep here which is allowing for faster parcel acceleration through the atmosphere.

None of the cores on these storms are very impressive anyways.

The radar may look better as in more action but that doesn't really mean anything as far as severe goes. Remember a Severe Thunderstorm Watch is issued when atmospheric conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms, not just thunderstorms.

As the cold front continued to push east the level of forcing actually increased as winds aloft, mainly in the mid levels. Plus, mid level lapse rates are a bit more steep here which is allowing for faster parcel acceleration through the atmosphere.

None of the cores on these storms are very impressive anyways.

Matt Noyes:

"Given shallow nature of marine layer, resultant elevated instability and breaks of sun, watch should expand east"

In any case, I agree this is a week event.. arguing over minor things

Matt Noyes:

"Given shallow nature of marine layer, resultant elevated instability and breaks of sun, watch should expand east"

In any case, I agree this is a week event.. arguing over minor things

IDK...they aren't even getting reports down in NJ and they've had warnings all morning and day and they've had better instability than us.

Pretty impressive cell though now in central NJ.

Archived