Newest Member
    Monty
April 17th-18th Late Season SNOW Event

Powerball

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1006 AM CDT MON APR 18 2011

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

1005 AM SNOW WADSWORTH 42.44N 87.92W

04/18/2011 M2.8 INCH LAKE IL BROADCAST MEDIA

STORM TOTAL 2.8 INCHES.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1006 AM CDT MON APR 18 2011

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

1005 AM SNOW WADSWORTH 42.44N 87.92W

04/18/2011 M2.8 INCH LAKE IL BROADCAST MEDIA

STORM TOTAL 2.8 INCHES.

Caplan's home turf

LOL!!! Detroit fell exactly 0.1" short of tieing for a top 5 season, and 0.2" short of taking over the top 5 spot. Now that just breaks the camel's back there. The only reason I wanted this snowfall event was so this season could be placed in the top 5, and to stop SO CLOSE to that is really just a kick in the nuts in addition to an already awful spring so far. I may even adjust my winter grade downward for this travesty. :lol:

1149 AM SNOW ROMULUS 42.22N 83.37W

04/18/2011 M1.5 INCH WAYNE MI OFFICIAL NWS OB

SNOW TOTAL FOR DETROIT METRO AIRPORT

I just pray they send in ONE MORE REPORT with that additional 0.1" to 0.2"

LOL!!! Detroit fell exactly 0.1" short of tieing for a top 5 season, and 0.2" short of taking over the top 5 spot. Now that just breaks the camel's back there. The only reason I wanted this snowfall event was so this season could be placed in the top 5, and to stop SO CLOSE to that is really just a kick in the nuts in addition to an already awful spring so far. I may even adjust my winter grade downward for this travesty. :lol:

I just pray they send in ONE MORE REPORT with that additional 0.1" to 0.2"

We might get some snow tonight into tmrw. That might put us over, hopefully.

Kush brings up a good point in that it doesn't matter if it missed the top 5 at all. Especially considering the error associated with snowfall measurement exceeds 0.2" for a single storm, let alone the whole season.

From a purely statistical standpoint it matters.

612 SXUS73 KDTX 182038 RERDTX RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI 0429 PM EDT MON APR 18 2011 ...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT DETROIT MI... A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 1.6 INCHES WAS SET AT DETROIT MI TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0.3 SET IN 1969.

Ended up with 1.3" imby to bring my season total to 69.4". Precip total was 0.17", and it was 100% snow, no rain or sleet at onset. DTW had 1.6" (precip 0.21") to bring the season total to 69.1", a tie for 5th place. Can we squeeze something out tonight?

Some pics from this morning. Despite a high temp of 21 degrees below normal for April 18th, snow has completely melted except for where cars were brushed off and little piles remain

2822-800.jpg

2823-800.jpg

2824-800.jpg

2825-800.jpg

2826-800.jpg

2827-800.jpg

2828-800.jpg

Wow, some of you guys in Michigan had more snow today than we've had total since Feb 2. Congrats!

Thanks. You definitely had a more frontloaded winter while we had a more backloaded winter. Of my 69.4" on the season, 32.1" fell AFTER February 3rd, aka, after the blizzard that was the "star" event in what was a harsh winter for most of the midwest. You throw in the 10.1" from the blizzard, and I saw 42.2" since Feb 1st, which is basically an entire seasons worth, when the normal from Feb 1st on is about 18"!

No it does not since it is within the margin of error.

Yes it does matter from a statistical point of view. Had DTW gotten the 1.5" that was reported a little before the snow ended, it would have put the season at 6th place at 69.0", but since they ended with 1.6" and a season total of 69.1", it ties for 5th place.

You will get no argument from me that there is a margin of error with measuring snowfall. Hell, snowfall is one of the most interesting statistics to me, but I will admit the margin of error can be huge, especially in wind-driven events, changeover events, very wet or very fluffy snow events. Some of those big storms that have struck the east the past few winters, glancing at some of the measurments and comparing them to nearby areas, it wouldnt surprise me if many of them were off by several INCHES let alone several tenths (either way, but probably more on the inflated side rather than the lowballed sided, due to drifting).

I also am the first to say that pure seasonal snowfall amount is FAR from the sole factor in determining how great a winter is. For many, the biggest snowstorm matters, for me its snowcover (which in 2010-11 was the best locally Ive ever seen). So had 1.5" fallen at DTW versus 1.6" yesterday, it would have meant nothing in terms of how great the winter was....but in this case it DOES mean something for where it ranks.

Bottom line, that same margin of error was there in the winter of 1899-00 when 69.1" also was recorded at Detroit. Weather statistics interest many of us on this board, and to say that margin of error means it doesnt matter from a statistical point of view is just plain silly. Whatever the official station comes in with does matter to the exact tenth of an inch when you are talking season rankings, and most major cities in our region have seen at least 5 of the past 10 winters end up in the "top XX snowiest" ranking. Do we disregard the Feb blizzard as being Chicagos 3rd biggest snowstorm on record, and just say it was a great storm, because measuring was so difficult? Of course not. And also, how many times have we seen on these boards someone mad because the official station near them came in with what they felt was a lowballed measurment? To the public, the exacts dont matter. But for official snowfall statistics, every single tenth of an inch (or lack there of) matters! :snowman:

Michigan will pay for this snowy Winter. It always seems to happen. LOL Would not be shocked to see that if next Winter we get royally screwed in the snow department. Although it would just take that 20+ inch Blizzard to make me happy. This is based off no guidance or info...But it seems like we are due for a Torched Winter and that Epic Blizzard! Bring em on.

Michigan will pay for this snowy Winter. It always seems to happen. LOL Would not be shocked to see that if next Winter we get royally screwed in the snow department. Although it would just take that 20+ inch Blizzard to make me happy. This is based off no guidance or info...But it seems like we are due for a Torched Winter and that Epic Blizzard! Bring em on.

Weve had so many snowy winters lately (though all things considered this winter sits on top for severity), I admit it DOES worry me a LITTLE, if nothing else than for karma...but if a weak Nina hangs on and just the general cycle we seem to be in (snowy), Id say a really screwed winter of 2011-12 is not likely.

The good part is since we've been screwed (on a relative basis) in the severe weather and heat department during these snowy times an awful winter whenver it does come would give way to quite the summer severe weather and heat wise, AKA my type of summer.

Archived