• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
April 15-16 Severe Weather threat

looks like a line of severe is in the beginning stages of development right now, just coming off the mountains of GA and NC. From just east of AVL to just west of GSP. This is probably the line that hammers central and eastern Carolinas today as it rakes eastward. Wow the winds are gusting over 40mph now here. Lots of limbs down in the yard, after I raked the yard earlier in the week. We've had some great wind events this Spring.

post-38-0-40985500-1302961251.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like a line of severe is in the beginning stages of development right now, just coming off the mountains of GA and NC. From just east of AVL to just west of GSP. This is probably the line that hammers central and eastern Carolinas today as it rakes eastward. Wow the winds are gusting over 40mph now here. Lots of limbs down in the yard, after I raked the yard earlier in the week. We've had some great wind events this Spring.

post-38-0-40985500-1302961251.jpg

That storm that just swept through Greenville, SC looked rough on radar, wondering if we get any severe.

Starting to note the clearing going on per the highres UW vis shot, along and south of a CAE to ILM line. That is advecting north and will set the stage for a fair amount of destabilization in the central and eastern Carolinas once we get into the early afternoon hours. OVC conditions here atm, put Wilmington, Kenansville, and Kinston are reporting PT Sunny so the clearing is inbound! :popcorn:

That storm that just swept through Greenville, SC looked rough on radar, wondering if we get any severe.

that line is developing quickly, right now looks like Rutherford and western Cleveland are going to take the brunt but who knows the southern end may develop and get us too. I'm glue to the radar right now.

that line is developing quickly, right now looks like Rutherford and western Cleveland are going to take the brunt but who knows the southern end may develop and get us too. I'm glue to the radar right now.

yea it is rapidly developing, really hoping we remain hail free.

I don't think we'll get hail from this one, so far there is no lightning associated with the line. But I bet the winds get even higher.

That line seems almost stationary in its east-west movement. For the last several hours it seems to have continued to move north-south over the blue ridge and has made hardly any progress eastward. I suppose that's how Marion is pushing 3.5-4 inches and Toxaway has over 7. I'm just a tad too far east, but I can watch the clouds just racing by in this north-south movement.

Keep an eye on that cluster near Columbia as it moves north, seems to be in the most favorable environment atm, with SBCape close to 1500, and not to far from the higher shear in the upstate and western NC. Also, a couple cells firing just north of CHS over the past 10-15 min in the moist onshore flow that are going to have to be monitored.

post-382-0-58625500-1302964054.jpg

Starting to note the clearing going on per the highres UW vis shot, along and south of a CAE to ILM line. That is advecting north and will set the stage for a fair amount of destabilization in the central and eastern Carolinas once we get into the early afternoon hours. OVC conditions here atm, put Wilmington, Kenansville, and Kinston are reporting PT Sunny so the clearing is inbound! :popcorn:

Noticed this too. This will be when the CAPES should start to rise significantly.

we have been slight breaks in the clouds here.... the few minutes the sun pops out you can feel the temp spike by several degrees. So you guys further east will really be in the hot seat should the son come out and stay out for any period of time.

Mesoscale Discussion 452< Previous MD Next MD > mcd0452.gif MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0452 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 0939 AM CDT SAT APR 16 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS ERN GA...CENTRAL/ERN CAROLINAS...SERN AND EXTREME S-CENTRAL VA. CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH 149... VALID 161439Z - 161645Z THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR TORNADO WATCH 149 CONTINUES. WW MAY BE CLEARED BEHIND SFC COLD FRONT DELINEATED BELOW. SVR POTENTIAL FCST TO INCREASE THROUGH REMAINDER MORNING OVER ERN PORTIONS WW...AS WELL AS EWD ACROSS COASTAL PLAIN AND NEWD ALONG PIEDMONT INTO PORTIONS VA. ADDITIONAL WW ISSUANCE IS BEING CONSIDERED FOR THOSE AREAS AS SHEAR AND INSTABILITY EACH STRENGTHEN THROUGH MIDDAY. 14Z SFC MESOANALYSIS SHOWS COLD FRONT FROM CENTRAL WV SWD ACROSS EXTREME WRN VA ...NWRN SC...NEAR GMU...DBN...SWWD ACROSS APALACHEE BAY. COLD FRONT WILL ACT AS WRN BOUND FOR ORGANIZED SVR POTENTIAL AS IT MOVES EWD ACROSS WW AND SURROUNDING AREAS. DIFFUSE WARM FRONT -- WHICH ALSO ACTS AS DIFFERENTIAL HEATING ZONE ALONG SRN EDGE OF DENSE/MULTILEVEL CLOUD COVER -- WAS ANALYZED INVOF SC/NC BORDER...AND WILL LIFT NWD ACROSS NC AND PERHAPS PORTIONS SRN VA THROUGH MID-DAY. WARM SECTOR WILL REMAIN CHARACTERIZED BY SFC DEW POINTS RANGING FROM UPPER 60S F SERN GA TO COASTAL SC...INCREASING TO UPPER 50S AND LOW 60S OVER NRN NC AND VA AS WARM FRONT PASSES AND MORE SUSTAINED BREAKS APPEAR IN CLOUD COVER. THIS ALSO WILL FOSTER STRONGER SFC DIABATIC HEATING IN WARM-SECTOR AIR MASS THAT ALREADY APPEARS MINIMALLY CAPPED...BASED ON MODIFIED RAOBS AND RUC SOUNDINGS. MLCAPE SHOULD RISE TO RANGE FROM AROUND 500 J/KG OVER SERN VA/NERN NC...TO NEAR 1500 J/KG OVER CHS-SAV CORRIDOR. AS THIS OCCURS...RESULTING IN DEEPENING BUOYANT PROFILE THROUGH TROPOSPHERE...DEEP-LAYER SHEAR WILL INCREASE WITH APCH OF MID-UPPER TROUGH NOW OVER TN VALLEY REGION. BOTH PROCESSES SHOULD BOOST EFFECTIVE SHEAR TO 55-70 KT RANGE OVER MUCH OF NC/SRN VA AND 45-60 KT ACROSS SC. SRH AND LOW-LEVEL VORTICITY WILL REMAIN MAXIMIZED NEAR WARM FRONT...ALTHOUGH HODOGRAPHS WILL REMAIN SUFFICIENTLY LARGE TO SUPPORT SUPERCELL/TORNADO POTENTIAL TO ITS S AS WELL. ..EDWARDS.. 04/16/2011

As expected...building above me and moving away...*sigh*

Also just noted a significant change in the movement of lower cloud deck over me. Everything has been moving SW to NE direction but now the lowest layer is screaming ENE to NNW. Could be a sign of storm development to my west starting to pull in moisture.... thoughts anyone?

For those in the Charlotte TV market...keep track of Brad Panovich (WCNC) on his twitter feed, he's excellent providing very frequent updates. I wish we had a Chief Met in our DMA that used the social networks... Recent post he has concern for the cell leaving the Waco/Fallston area moving towards Lincoln County.

I don't think mby will reach the .25 mark :angry::(

that tail end of the line should get you in the next 2 to 3 hours, so don't give up yet. Normally though this track isn't good for the midlands for good rain totals, as the ULL began to pull north and northeast, that usually is good for GA rain and western SC and NC, but doesn't do much to help out central SC. Hopefully a west to east front can stall sometime over the Southeast, then you'll do well.:hug:

Here in ILM....

partly sunny, breaks in the clouds...

Wind, (as I'm closer to the beach), is a steady 15-20mph, with gust's up to almost 30...

current temp has risen with the breaks in clouds up to 73 w/dew at 70......

Storms are expected too arive "here' around, about; 3/4 PM, at Max heating of the day....

A few morning storms expected until 2, before the "Main Event" arrives....

Valid 10:30 KILM AFD

Stage appears to be set for potentially dangerous weather this

afternoon and evening...with our forecast area under a moderate

risk. Any location is targeted by a 30 percent chance of wind

damage and a 15 percent chance of tornadic activity per the latest

Storm Prediction Center statistical output of the graphical day 1 convective outlook.

Coincident with mounting afternoon cape values in excess of 2000

j/kg...potentially dangerous and strong low-level shear will

interact with updrafts to introduce a super-cell character to

storms as both 1/3 km helicity fields are supportive of rotation

amid strong environmental wind and large hodograph profiles. The

60 degree dewpoint isotherm will lift northward across the area

supplying adequate fuel...with our area beneath an exit region of

a strong jet later today. Also as the boundary layer becomes

unstable this afternoon...a low level jet strengthens in good

timing with unfolding peak diurnal heating.

Ham activation will likely be needed today and an Special Weather Statement will address

todays hazardous weather since confidence remains high that a

convective watch box will be issued by this afternoon for our

County Warning Area...and that some damage appears likely.

that tail end of the line should get you in the next 2 to 3 hours, so don't give up yet. Normally though this track isn't good for the midlands for good rain totals, as the ULL began to pull north and northeast, that usually is good for GA rain and western SC and NC, but doesn't do much to help out central SC. Hopefully a west to east front can stall sometime over the Southeast, then you'll do well.:hug:

I wasn't expecting much today so I'm not to disappointed.:sun: I'm headed toward Newberry in just a few....got the camera just in case..lol :lol:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

1150 AM EDT SAT APR 16 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

CABARRUS COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

SOUTH CENTRAL DAVIE COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

EASTERN GASTON COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

SOUTHEASTERN IREDELL COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

EASTERN LINCOLN COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

NORTHERN MECKLENBURG COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

ROWAN COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 1230 PM EDT

* AT 1148 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS

OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR STANLEY...OR 7 MILES

NORTHEAST OF GASTONIA...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 55 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

LUCIA AND LOWESVILLE...

CROFT AND DENVER...

CORNELIUS AND HUNTERSVILLE...

DAVIDSON AND CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEDWAY...

MOORESVILLE AND ENOCHVILLE...

Woke up to a nice heavy rain (and still is as I type this). Few rumbles of thunder and a nice kick up in the gust to around 40mph when the winds blew in. I'm sure there will be more yard work to do after all of this due to the wind and rain. Love the look of this front:

EDIT(12pm): Rain has stopped and now receiving partial sun. Quite a change all the sudden and proves how quickly these storms are traversing. Received .84" out of this.

2nu0ocy.jpg

Archived