Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
NYC Banter and BS Thread Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I am.I want to video tape the event.

Wow, I applaud your courage, not to say everyone should take big risks in order to witness the storm.

I feel quite safe here on a hilltop in Westchester...as bad as the storm may get, I know my house won't flood. At the same time, being on an exposed hilltop at 350' elevation, with the woods behind me nearing 425', may increase wind speeds, especially if we get a funneling effect from the Hudson Valley. We had very dangerous wind gusts during the Boxing Day blizzard, and I'm wondering what sort of localized convergence zones may develop with the hurricane's wind pattern, especially if the storm tucks into the NJ coastline and we have due south/SSE winds moving up the Hudson Valley. I wouldn't want to forecast gusts higher than 60-70mph in Southern Westchester right now, but it's certainly possible. The Taxter Ridge of Central Westchester with such high elevations compared to the rest of the county would see incredible tree damage...I certainly won't be taking a walk in the woods during the storm, too hazardous.

Imagine if this could have been snow, even though impossible by nature. That would make this 1000 times more fun, even with the higher winds. Rain is so boring even if blown sideways. It is like turkey without any gravy or trimmings, snow is the whole darn feast with the pumpkin pie to wash it down. I enjoyed tracking 12/26 the days before it was changing on the models, hurricanes are too dangerous to wish for or to want a direct strike. They are interesting to watch from the back row of the house, but front row seats, no thanks !!

Oh No !!! Not the Freeport Nautical Mile in Nassau including Fire Island and the Hamptons further east in Suffolk, some of LI scenic treasures along with the affluent Silver Coast canal and bay towns of LI's South Shore. I feel very bad for Long Beach and other barrier island residents right now. Please leave us alone Irene, the earthquake really felt like an ominous harbinger that this could happen even though unrelated natural events.

Alex and Sundog don't have to go on a boat to go fishing on Sunday, the LI Sound will be in their house. All those fish they pissed off over the years are gonna have revenge

Imagine if someone introduced piranha into the Sound? :P Who knows, maybe some great white sharks will get trapped into the circulation and will be funneled down the Sound ;)

This a scary track and anybody just east of where the center/eye will have the worse conditions including the strongest damaging winds. I was wrong very little chance of NYC and LI escaping this storm unless it takes an expected track out to sea after hitting eastern NC.

I bet The Book of Mormon ticket lottery (Broadway show) will have 300-400 people for Sunday's performance in the hellish conditions. That would be irrational, and stupid but sure it would happen if the theatre is open. They better hunker down the bus in Priscilla Queen of the Dessert at the Palace theatre so she does not become a boat and float away. Will this event stop and close Broadway theaters this weekend ? One would think it should for safety and the shows could always be made up on the theatre's "dark" days.

I don't know how old many of you guys are but, i am telling you- this whole thing is scaring the living **** out of me... I was in Dix Hills, in 1985 - ya i was only 8 years old, but I remember the extensive damage out here.. If this storm is anywhere close to Gloria we are so screwed.. The tree damage is going to be immense.

Places just west of the Nassau/Suffolk border did not have the intense winds that places to our east had in Hurricane Gloria.. Check for yourself - look at the highest gusts in Gloria for JFK, LGA etc... If Bill Evans is right and 80+ mph winds comes to locations west of where they did in Gloria - this is going to turn out to be a mega disaster..

As CAT5Andrew and others have stated- our trees up in the Northeast or NOT designed for these types of winds...

If this storm plays out in the METROPOLITAN area as some believe it may - Sunday is going to be a very scary day....

Andrew changed my mind about canes i was in fla. back then and saw up close and personal what these systems are capable of and i'm concerned people are going to underestimate the situation. That nuke left an image in my mind i'll never forget and all the illegals that died for fear of going to the shelters the political climate was much different on migrant workers and they stayed in the trailor parks in kendall,homestead,fla city dade county didn't publicize the death count it was astounding.My father in-law worked for broward county and i hitched a ride into dade before national guard arrived ugly basically a nuke.

Archived