Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
12/3-12/6 MW/GL snow event?

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an amazing cutoff to the snow on the southwestern edge. Wherever that thing stalls will be interesting, as it could separate several inches from 1" or less amounts over a matter of 5-10 miles.

It definitely is looking like left of a line from Independence through the Quad Cities is going to be disappointed.

It definitely is looking like left of a line from Independence through the Quad Cities is going to be disappointed.

Yeah it sure is unfortunately. Hopefully the late-night wraparound snows lay down some accumulations there.

Have you guys measured the ratios of the snow yet? I haven't had a chance to really look at anything in detail yet. If I were to make a guess it sure seems like at least 13-16:1 ratio type snows. It actually feels drier than that, but you wouldn't think the ratios would be that high.

Yeah it sure is unfortunately. Hopefully the late-night wraparound snows lay down some accumulations there.

Have you guys measured the ratios of the snow yet? I haven't had a chance to really look at anything in detail yet. If I were to make a guess it sure seems like at least 13-16:1 ratio type snows. It actually feels drier than that, but you wouldn't think the ratios would be that high.

Actually, we measured better than 20:1 here at the office. 2.3" with 0.11 liquid.

Wow! Definitely some high ratios in that first heavy band. I imagine the ratios will drop as the evening wears on, as mid-level WAA continues.

I would guess we're doing close to 10:1 now with this finer snow. But DVN still has the lowest visibilities in the CWA, surprisingly since we are normally the snow hole. What a difference no wind makes.

We were using about 3kft as a good estimate for start of snowfall. It was working well for sern Minnesota on through here this afternoon.

How much you got at the office out there? This stuff better start getting here quicker or its gonna miss us all to the southwest! :thumbsdown: just kidding. some nice bands back up to the northwest.

The RUC sure is out to lunch. The last few runs I looked at had little or no QPF surrounding the immediate QC. The 21z run showed the same, and apparently parts of the QC are probably already approaching 0.15". A bit disappointed with it's performance. I would usually rely heavily on it in these types of situations, but I won't be after seeing that lol.

The RUC sure is out to lunch. The last few runs I looked at had little or no QPF surrounding the immediate QC. The 21z run showed the same, and apparently parts of the QC are probably already approaching 0.15". A bit disappointed with it's performance. I would usually rely heavily on it in these types of situations, but I won't be after seeing that lol.

Yah, the RUC is worthless.

How much you got at the office out there? This stuff better start getting here quicker or its gonna miss us all to the southwest! :thumbsdown: just kidding. some nice bands back up to the northwest.

We're probably closing in on 3" or so now. We've been pretty close to a half inch and hour since that band.

We're probably closing in on 3" or so now. We've been pretty close to a half inch and hour since that band.

Pretty impressive. The rates with these new lighter bands are better than I thought they'd be. The relatively high PWs are no doubt contributing to that. The flake size is much smaller than earlier, but it's essentially "pouring" snow out there. It's very dense and you can actually hear it hitting the ground when you're outside in it.

Pretty impressive. The rates with these new lighter bands are better than I thought they'd be. The relatively high PWs are no doubt contributing to that. The flake size is much smaller than earlier, but it's essentially "pouring" snow out there. It's very dense and you can actually hear it hitting the ground when you're outside in it.

Thanks for the obs. Don't know if we'll have any period of 20:1 :P but based on what you guys upstream have been saying and what BUFKIT is suggesting, I think we could very possibly average a 12-14:1 ratio for the event.

Snow in Champaign now.

The radars in N. IL has lite up real nice. wow, must be awesome. If the snow was closer I would take a 2 hour drive to check it out, but it's just to far away. Get ready for some big time cold after this with the snow cover.

Enjoy the snow guys.

How are things looking in terms of overcoming dry air? is it on schedule, ahead? The faster the saturation the better.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN  
735 PM CST FRI DEC 03 2010     

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     
.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                
..REMARKS..    

0734 PM     SNOW             MANKATO                 44.17N 93.99W   
12/03/2010  M7.0 INCH        BLUE EARTH         MN   BROADCAST MEDIA   

Went up a degree to 33. Dewpoint still 22 though...I imagine we will take care of this foolishness and settle a bit below freezing when snow begins.

Looks like the 00z NAM is shifting the main band a little farther north to fit more in line with the consensus.

Archived