AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

1105 AM CST FRI DEC 3 2010

UPDATE

UPPER AIR ANALYSIS SHOWED INTENSE WARM AIR ADVECTION OCCURRING TO

THE WEST OF THE DVN CWA. ALREADY DECENT SNOWS FALLING IN NW IA WITH

ESTERVILLE PICKING UP 3 INCHES THIS MORNING. WARM ADVECTION MID/HIGH

CLOUDS HAVE SPREAD OVER ALL THE CWA THIS MORNING. WITH THE CLOUDY

SKIES HAVE LOWERED MAX TEMPS A FEW DEGREES FROM PREVIOUS GRIDS.

UPDATED FORECAST ALSO TO SPREAD THE SNOW INTO EASTERN IA SOONER.

CONCERNED THAT A NARROW BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WILL SET UP ROUGHLY ALONG

AND NEAR HIGHWAY 20 CORRIDOR. WITH SUCH INTENSE WARM ADVECTION THERE

IS CERTAINLY THE POSSIBILITY OF THUNDERSNOWS WITH ACCUMULATIONS IN

EXCESS OF 6 INCHES. MAY NEED TO UPGRADE TO A WINTER STORM WARNING

FOR SOME OUR OUR NORTHERN COUNTIES SOMETIME THIS AFTERNOON.

zones have me at 4-7" dont see my area getting near the high end of that.

Tonight: Snow, mainly after 9pm. Low around 25. Southeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Saturday: Snow. High near 32. North northwest wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow, mainly after 9pm. Low around 25. Southeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Saturday: Snow. High near 32. North northwest wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

I'm really wondering about Chicago. Of course the lake could boost things a bit but it will be interesting to see if the heavier band of system snows streaks off just to the south. The 00z ECMWF had about .4 at ORD so it will be interesting to see what the 12z run does.

The HRRR brings a pretty healthy light snow band into Chicagoland tonight. I don't think the upper end of that range will be common, but if the HRRR is right, areas far enough west might sneak into one of the narrow enhanced bands before they weaken.

I'm really wondering about Chicago. Of course the lake could boost things a bit but it will be interesting to see if the heavier band of system snows streaks off just to the south. The 00z ECMWF had about .4 at ORD so it will be interesting to see what the 12z run does.

Im still riding my 3-6" call, we'll see. should be fun watch tonight.

Early HRRR indicaitons say the heaviest (relative) band will set up west of the city from NW to SE.

Snip from Mr. Izzi's WSW:

* ACCUMULATIONS...ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ARE LIKELY LATE TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS...POSSIBLY LOCALLY SIGNIFICANT COULD OCCUR WITH LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS OVER PORTIONS OF THE AREA LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON INTO SATURDAY NIGHT.

Snip from Mr. Izzi's WSW:

* ACCUMULATIONS...ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ARE LIKELY LATE TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS...POSSIBLY LOCALLY SIGNIFICANT COULD OCCUR WITH LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS OVER PORTIONS OF THE AREA LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON INTO SATURDAY NIGHT.

You mean winter weather advisory? lol

Archived