• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
12/3-12/6 MW/GL snow event?

Thundersnow12

IMHO...the NAM has little to no utility beyond 48 hours. I know many mets who would disagree. Regardless, on to the GFS, Euro, GEM, and ensembles...

In most situations, I agree with the sentiment. In a situation like this, there's really a limited range of motion for this system with a large, stable omega block to the east and a large, stable ridge over Mexico extending north, no real phasing issues to deal with and (mostly) straight line or flow. Models tend to do well in situations like this. It's when things are changing rapidly or during pattern breakdowns that they suck.

The only real issue at the moment is the complex jet setup, of which the end result will most likely be QPF changes from run to run (on the NAM at least) with only fairly minor track differences.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In most situations, I agree with the sentiment. In a situation like this, there's really a limited range of motion for this system with a large, stable omega block to the east and a large, stable ridge over Mexico extending north, no real phasing issues to deal with and (mostly) straight line or flow. Models tend to do well in situations like this. It's when things are changing rapidly or during pattern breakdowns that they suck.

The only real issue at the moment is the complex jet setup, of which the end result will most likely be QPF changes from run to run (on the NAM at least) with only fairly minor track differences.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. I still would give this model 0 weight in any forecast beyond 48 hours. But that might just be me.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. I still would give this model 0 weight in any forecast beyond 48 hours. But that might just be me.

Mostly agree, statistically it is awful beyond 48 hours, but as I have said many times, the NAM handles certain types of rapid positive feedback cyclogenesis such as that with deep PV anomalies over sharp and moist baroclinic gradients that other models don't simulate well. It was the first to suggest deep cyclogenesis with the storm that dropped 10+ inches over MN a few weeks ago, for instance. It isn't always wrong. With low amplitude waves, however, it seems to have massive issues, especially with propagation speed. It also becomes garbage when it has the phase shift problem where the height fields are all out of phase through the domain. Crap there too.

Doesn't seem like that to me.

It definitely is weaker. It has the upper shortwave displaced a tiny bit north and the mountain response is weaker with less lee troughing and much weaker low level wind fields/LLJ in the plains. Still not buying anything and mostly sticking to sref trends, of which there are also none haha.

I did notice that quite a few of the ARW and NMM members of the SREF are stronger with the upper system and wanted to close it off, whereas the ETA members were (relatively speaking) all over the damn place.

Yeah I noticed this there was even a couple that tracks along the Ohio/Indiana/Michigan border on the 15z run.

Doesn't seem like that to me.

The very small displacement north at 0Z:

post-999-0-35540300-1291262859.png

Compare to 18Z:

post-999-0-96722100-1291262877.png

And just looking at one parameter at one level, the corresponding low level mass response:

0Z:

post-999-0-00759800-1291262862.png

18Z:

post-999-0-66574600-1291262880.png

Much weaker at 0Z.

These weird shifts I think will continue until tomorrow at 0Z and I am definitely not buying any individual operational runs yet.

The very small displacement north at 0Z:

post-999-0-35540300-1291262859.png

Compare to 18Z:

post-999-0-96722100-1291262877.png

And just looking at one parameter at one level, the corresponding low level mass response:

0Z:

post-999-0-00759800-1291262862.png

18Z:

post-999-0-66574600-1291262880.png

Much weaker at 0Z.

These weird shifts I think will continue until tomorrow at 0Z and I am definitely not buying any individual operational runs yet.

I saw the same thing. I guess I was wondering about "way" in capital letters. No biggie though.

The weenie in me cares most about what happens with the resultant weather, and the 00z GFS still looks pretty decent as far as that goes. :lol:

I saw the same thing. I guess I was wondering about "way" in capital letters. No biggie though.

The weenie in me cares most about what happens with the resultant weather, and the 00z GFS still looks pretty decent as far as that goes. :lol:

Ah yeah I see, and I guess it really doesn't make a huge diff for you down there, still looks decent. I want some pain here in MN!

I think the models have been pretty consistent of late with this system regarding the track of heavier precip.. I don't understand the details to much of a degree at all and that's probably a understatement, but there is a few things I can notice when you stare at every run of the models starting 8 days out :arrowhead: For us to the east and in MI I'm afraid we can wish for the sweet spot in one palm and crap in the other and I'm pretty sure I know which palm will fill up first.. Hope I'm wrong but I only see things going downhill if anything for us in the east. Well I guess it can't get much worse if you're in eastern Michigan.

Are you doing an over/under with Caplan?

ya we were talking quite a bit today about this system, still have to get our bets decided. Gino was gonna post on here but he is now sick with strep throat.

and the bears will win on sunday, ya he was good in college but a 3rd stringer is a 3rd stringer. did we not beat the eagles last sunday?? 2nd best points scoring defense in the league, mhmm thanks :)

and the bears will win on sunday, ya he was good in college but a 3rd stringer is a 3rd stringer. did we not beat the eagles last sunday?? 2nd best points scoring defense in the league, mhmm thanks :)

The Lions played the Pats pretty well on Thanksgiving though. At least in the first half. The Bears better not take the game lightly, as the Lions are probably better than what their record shows. I just hope the Jets beat the Pats Monday night. The Bears have to play the Patriots the week after next and we all know they very rarely lose two games in a row.

The new GEM should be out soon. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm leaning on that and the Euro the most for this system as they've been on this thing from the beginning.

Archived