Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 22-23 OBS/Disco

nzucker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This event was very, very difficult to forecast. Large model spread even right up to now.

I don't think Upton or Mt. Holly did a poor job with this one.

The snow was definitly there but it looks like I will be falling short of 7" unless something major happens. When I got home I found out that the 2-3" that fell overnight had melted so its impossible to figure out what the final outcome would have been. Fun storm to track though.

Edit - Areas within my own county saw 7" + so I don't think you can say either one of us won

Is this really over? News12 was saying 10am on the 6pm newscast, and I thought this was supposed to go to at least 2-3am?

I think some snow/mix tries to hang back over NYC/LI and south for a while as the coastal low gets going, but north of there it's hard to see much more happening. The focus clearly seems to be south of them.

My name is Joe, you can say it.

And I said it 4 times. And all 4 times deserve it after the filth that was spewed towards our own NWS site. Is that ok?

But u made your point. This is an observation thread Joe.

Let it go already.

Go argue with Nate somewhere else.

My name is Joe, you can say it.

And I said it 4 times. And all 4 times deserve it after the filth that was spewed towards our own NWS site. Is that ok?

Joe, all the forecasts were off for this storm, including the NWS. They have advisories/warnings to the north where they won't see much at all. They didn't expect accumulations at JFK/LI when they got them. No one pinpointed the band that nailed NE NJ. Instead of trying to single me out for busting, how about just admitting that our models let us down? I busted and so did most everyone...how can you not when the GFS/ECM/NAM are all showing .75" QPF and you get .1"? Even the excellent ECM was too far north with the storm.

Upton has made a lot of mistakes in my area this winter including Boxing Day (first calling for flurries, then forecasting double what fell in Westchester) and Monday's storm (forecasting all rain when it was classic front-end snow dump). They have also had some excellent forecast discussions, so there is clearly some talent on the staff. The problem is really that our models suck; all of them let us down for 12/26 and all of them let us down today. We have a long ways to go.

To be honest, I think I won the bet for the wrong reasons. I anticipated the lack of significant accumulations to be mainly due to warm boundary layer temps, not lack of precip, so I definitely agree with Nate there. Modelling did terribly at predicting this event, and in reality, surface temperatures are cold enough to support accumulating snow if mod-hvy pcpn moved overhead.

this is a weird storm...I had over an inch of wet snow before daybreak...rain/sleet/snow in all combination's...I even had thunder and lightning...wet snow now with a slushy coating and the temp has dropped to 33...

It feels like a slightly milder and less intense version of Jan 26-27.

Joe, all the forecasts were off for this storm, including the NWS. They have advisories/warnings to the north where they won't see much at all. They didn't expect accumulations at JFK/LI when they got them. No one pinpointed the band that nailed NE NJ. Instead of trying to single me out for busting, how about just admitting that our models let us down? I busted and so did most everyone...how can you not when the GFS/ECM/NAM are all showing .75" QPF and you get .1"? Even the excellent ECM was too far north with the storm.

Upton has made a lot of mistakes in my area this winter including Boxing Day (first calling for flurries, then forecasting double what fell in Westchester) and Monday's storm (forecasting all rain when it was classic front-end snow dump). They have also had some excellent forecast discussions, so there is clearly some talent on the staff. The problem is really that our models suck; all of them let us down for 12/26 and all of them let us down today. We have a long ways to go.

Yeah, everyone was too extreme-- in both directions. The ground "truth" was somewhere in between-- with some areas getting much more than expected, and others less.

To be honest, I think I won the bet for the wrong reasons. I anticipated the lack of significant accumulations to be mainly due to warm boundary layer temps, not lack of precip, so I definitely agree with Nate there. Modelling did terribly at predicting this event, and in reality, surface temperatures are cold enough to support accumulating snow if mod-hvy pcpn moved overhead.

I think its best to declare this one a draw, plus locations 15 miles to my west saw well over 6"+ overnight. Had nothing to do with temps or elevation, they just got lucky enough to be under the best banding.

I think its best to declear this one a draw, plus locations 15 miles to my west saw well over 6"+ overnight. Had nothing to do with temps or elevation, they just got lucky enough to be under the best banding.

A draw? Besides the waa snows over nj, this was nothing. Sorry.

Guest Pamela

How about we wait for out #27...

How about we wait for out #27...

William!

Greetings friend, its over. Hard to believe the models were that bad, but its over. In my humble opinion it seems like we have ALL relied too much on model data and not enough on common sense and human intuition as of late..........maybe that will change, what a horrific model bust. .7 of snow here. yay.

Archived