• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 22-23 OBS/Disco

nzucker

very suspicious the convective complex played HAVOC with the 12z and 18z runs that went up in smoke.

Whenever convection is part of these winter systems, the models go a little batty. The 12z NAM did not have the convection at initialization, the 18z did. Based on the 12z sims, i would go with the 12z nam.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually you're probably right. The very top floor (fl 67) of the Chrysler building is at 900 feet, and I'm on the 50th floor, so probably more like 750-800 feet.

I actually wikied tallest skyscrapers in NY and knew you could only be in one of a handful of them :snowman: I'm very bored today. Are skyscrapers measured to the tip of their point? If so, I bet the 50th floor isn't much higher than 650 feet...but I'm not sure how those measurements work.

Guest Pamela

This was odd...from the OKX discussion:

STORM TOTAL SNOW AMOUNTS WILL RANGE FROM AS LITTLE

AS AN INCH OR TWO OVER LONG ISLAND AND NYC...TO 6-8 INCHES OVER

ORANGE COUNTY AND INTERIOR NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY.

Thing is, "Northwest New Jersey" is no longer under OKX jurisdiction...Sussex and Warren Counties were removed years ago. I don't consider Passaic County "NW Jersey".

I actually wikied tallest skyscrapers in NY and knew you could only be in one of a handful of them :snowman: I'm very bored today. Are skyscrapers measured to the tip of their point? If so, I bet the 50th floor isn't much higher than 650 feet...but I'm not sure how those measurements work.

Well it depends on what the top floor is considered (right now the top inhabited floor is floor 67). The Chrysler bldg is 1,050 feet (at the top of the spire) and I'm at least 250 feet below that.

Back on topic, just light rain/snow from outside my window. We're almost in the clouds. The top floors of the BoA building at Byrant Park are in them.

Thing is, "Northwest New Jersey" is no longer under OKX jurisdiction...Sussex and Warren Counties were removed years ago. I don't consider Passaic County "NW Jersey".

Western Passaic is NW NJ.. Ie. West Milford

Somewhere in eastern LI between about Port Jefferson and the Twin Forks will likely be the jackpot for LI- probably 2-5". Whether it will be the North Fork or South Fork depends on how far north the convective precip. ends up.

heavy sleet in central nassau...yet it is SNOWING on the east end...how rare is THAT.

Not too worried about snow sticking even in LI and more suburban parts of NYC given how heavy the precip. is to the west. However, this band will be moving rapidly from west to east rather than sitting in one place, and will be in and out in about 4-5 hours tonight, so I don't think anyone sees 10-12" from the band tonight - maybe a max of 6-8" in elevated areas of Passaic County and Rockland County. I do think many areas will see >1" per hour for a time, with some approaching 2" per hour in the heaviest bands.

This is a setup similar to what goes on in the southern U.S. frequently when Tstorms move in from the warm to cold sector...this happened in north Texas a few years ago and places saw 10-12 inches of snow even though it was 35/32 or 34/32 when the precip moved in, and that was during the day.

Guest Pamela

heavy sleet in central nassau...yet it is SNOWING on the east end...how rare is THAT.

I made mention last night of how cold air was filtering in from the NE...and JConsor mentioned the WNW / ESE flow, I believe....

I was thinking the same when I read that.

Guest Pamela

maybe they were just refering it being their nw part of their covering area?

Whatever the case...it's no big deal...wasn't even worth bringing up.

Still snow patches in the wooded areas from this morning, just noticed that when I walked the dog; my mom reported 0.5" fell in Dobbs Ferry while I was deep in slumber. Looked like a nice coating to me when I glanced out the window but was too tired to care after 70" this season.

Now it is snowing, perhaps mixing with a bit of rain, at 32.8/32 at the downtown station.

Archived