• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 22-23 OBS/Disco

nzucker

Overnight stuff wasn't based in elevation. It was a strict who got into heavier banding.

For instance. Jamaica Queens area has a good amount of snow covering almost everything. And a few miles north in northern and eastern Queens, almost nothing.

Exactly! Up in west Milford elevation close to 1000 we were just too far north of heavy banding - only 2-4.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That goes to show you how tricky these storms are. Dynamics are everything. JFK got into that good band. It's those bands mdt to hvy snow that really are what pile up the snow. It looks like areas that didn't get the benefit of that were more lighter snows or a mix, based on the obs here. The same deal for the April 1996 storm. Recall that had a mega deformation band that pivoted into LI, during the overnight hours. That's how you pile it up.

So you can see why people are conservative for borderline areas. It's tough to make a weenie-cast and bash people being conservative when you have to bank on a renegade band of mdt to hvy snow to really pile it up. It's the type of snows that may be difficult to stick where vis is a mile or greater. Temps aloft were very cold this morning, which helped the cause for the city. It will be interesting to see how things go today.

I agree, these spring storms are the most difficult to forecast. Personally, I would have gone for 1-3" for here prior to this event starting.... Im still holding onto that, as you need a large intense organized system with lots of cold air to get widespread heavy totals this time of year.

I agree, these spring storms are the most difficult to forecast. Personally, I would have gone for 1-3" for here prior to this event starting.... Im still holding onto that, as you need a large intense organized system with lots of cold air to get widespread heavy totals this time of year.

Yeah I think your area in nrn LI I presume is in better shape for perhaps 1-3". If dynamics blow up..perhaps more.

They must be a few hundred feet higher. Elevation is huge this time of year.

well yes but not from this. i was 32 with light snow while they got clobbered with a heavy band. even caldwell nj at 200 ft elevation had 7 inches.  Im at about 400.  I just missed the heavy stuff

well yes but not from this. i was 32 with light snow while they got clobbered with a heavy band. even caldwell nj at 200 ft elevation had 7 inches. Im at about 400. I just missed the heavy stuff

I cant wait for the PNS to come out at 11 AM

well yes but not from this. i was 32 with light snow while they got clobbered with a heavy band. even caldwell nj at 200 ft elevation had 7 inches. Im at about 400. I just missed the heavy stuff

I just saw the images. That happens a lot in these sheared WAA events. I made a comment either in here or in the SNE thread to Nate, about how these bands move in but they are sometimes a narrow but sheared band of S+. The reason is that frontogenesis is sometimes enhanced at the leading edge due to confluence. We also see this during cstl storms when the far nrn band is what some call the "death band" where areas are pounded with s+. See Philly in Feb of last year.

I just saw the images. That happens a lot in these sheared WAA events. I made a comment either in here or in the SNE thread to Nate, about how these bands move in but they are sometimes a narrow but sheared band of S+. The reason is that frontogenesis is sometimes enhanced at the leading edge due to confluence. We also see this during cstl storms when the far nrn band is what some call the "death band" where areas are pounded with s+. See Philly in Feb of last year.

1.25" in Millburn, brings the yearly up to 60". Hopefully tonight we will get some additional...

heres a composite radar shot. you can see my town of butler(im in the northern most section of my town)  we just missed the dark blue area which dropped 5-9 inches.  (from lab94 from nyc board)

72wvmh.jpg

The 2/21 event also had strong confluence with a narrow band of S+ on the leading edge of the precip. over NW NJ/interior SE NY.

heres a composite radar shot. you can see my town of butler(im in the northern most section of my town) we just missed the dark blue area which dropped 5-9 inches. (from lab94 from nyc board)

72wvmh.jpg

Hey, now I feel ripped off-- I was in that dark blue band and only got an inch :P

The 2/21 event also had strong confluence with a narrow band of S+ on the leading edge of the precip. over NW NJ/interior SE NY.

Yeah that was the storm Nzucker has a big fetish..lol, but rightfully so.

You need to move to the northeast. You definitely enjoy the variety of weather.

Archived