• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Japan Nuclear Crisis Part III

One of the sad things about this ongoing situation is they are hindered in their ability to do any recovery of the dead from the tsunami within the exclusion zone. I suspect this is the main reason the ratio of missing to confirmed fatalities is much higher in Fukushima Prefecture then elsewhere.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't a recognized public health entity be the one saying "these levels are not high enough to cause health impacts to citizens"?

Although TEPCO is the plant operator their specialty is power generation and transmission - not public health emergencies. While I don't doubt that they know what harmful levels of radiation are...this isn't exactly what that company is there for. That's what a health department is there for.

Plutonium found in the soil at various points within Japan's Fukushima nuke plant; TEPCO says not harmful to human health - Reuters

Yeah, because I just love eating plutonium filled cabbage... not harmful to human health whatsoever.

I am not an expert, but I guess I would caution against Japanese farmers planting cabbage within a nuclear power plant, damaged or otherwise...

Shouldn't a recognized public health entity be the one saying "these levels are not high enough to cause health impacts to citizens"?

Although TEPCO is the plant operator their specialty is power generation and transmission - not public health emergencies. While I don't doubt that they know what harmful levels of radiation are...this isn't exactly what that company is there for. That's what a health department is there for.

Don't worry, give them a couple of hours and they will say no plutonium was found and it was an instrument malfunction.

I thought this was interesting:

NEWS ADVISORY: Not known which reactor plutonium came from: agency -Kyodo

Exactly how many of these things have plutonium in them anyway? I was under the assumption it was only #3.

http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/radionuclides/plutonium.html

Plutonium is created from uranium in nuclear reactors. When uranium-238 absorbs a neutron, it becomes uranium-239 which ultimately decays to plutonium-239. Different isotopes of uranium and different combinations of neutron absorptions and radioactive decay, create different isotopes of plutonium.

I thought they detected 238 and not 239.

Three types (238, 239 and 240) have been detected at five different locations....

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/28/3-types-of-plutonium-detected-at-japans-fukushima-daiichi-plant/

Three types of plutonium have turned up amid the radioactive contamination on the grounds of the earthquake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, its owner reported Monday.

The plutonium is a byproduct of nuclear reactions that is also part of the fuel mix at the damaged No. 3 reactor.

It was found in soil at five different points inside the plant grounds, the Tokyo Electric Power Company said late Monday.

Plutonium can be a serious health hazard if inhaled or ingested, but external exposure poses little health risk, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Who knows if this is from something more recent or as a result of the fire at the unit 4 spent fuel pool? Depends how frequently they have been testing for it as well. If this was the first such test then it was likely the result of the latter.

The samples were taken a week ago. Based on their location I'd say TEPCO has a general idea on what reactor or pool they came from.

http://m.cnn.com/pri...lYD-iQGubfo4VjR just a sad story. Seconds before the tsunami hit, nurses and loved ones leave patients behind to rush to the roof. Talk about a horrible choice to make.

Either that or they die too... patients aren't exactly easy to carry up xxx stories. Sad story, but in such situations what can you rly do?

Plutonium itself is a toxic heavy metal, but nobody would risk eating enough to get sick that way.

The problem with Pu is that it is an alpha emitter, mainly.

Alpha has trouble penetrating skin, but an inhaled particle will bombard a small area with alphas until some cells probably become cancerous.

IAEA chief says Japan's nuke plant needs some time to stabilize

VIENNA, March 28, Kyodo

International Atomic Energy Agency Director General Yukiya Amano (Also known as Captain Obvious) said Monday that he believes it will take some time before the situation at the quake-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in northeastern Japan to stabilize.

''The critical situation in Fukushima Daiichi has still not been overcome and it takes some time to stabilize the reactors,'' Amano said at a press conference.

Amano also repeatedly emphasized that the situation at the plant in Fukushima Prefecture ''continues to be very serious,'' while adding that he believes that the problem will be solved through the efforts of those at the site.

Thanks to ''the heroic efforts by the emergency workers, some progress have been made,'' he said.

Amano also said he has proposed different countries to hold a high-level meeting, possibly by late June, to discuss agenda items such as enhancing nuclear power plant safety and lessons learned from Japan's nuclear crisis.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/81615.html

Interesting discussion about the Japan situation. In part 1, the video freezes a few minutes in, but the audio continues uninterrupted. Some political points are presented with which some members will probably disagree, but there's a lot of interesting apolitical info, too.

Interesting discussion about the Japan situation. In part 1, the video freezes a few minutes in, but the audio continues uninterrupted. Some political points are presented with which some members will probably disagree, but there's a lot of interesting apolitical info, too.

LOL, the ".ir" is Iran. Press TV is the English language propaganda outlet for the Iranian government. A modern-day Tokyo Rose.

LOL, the ".ir" is Iran. Press TV is the English language propaganda outlet for the Iranian government. A modern-day Tokyo Rose.

I know that Press TV is Iranian. But as the years go by, I am finding more and more interesting content coming from unconventional and unexpected sources, and I try to evaluate all of it as it comes.

29 March 2011 Last updated at 02:20 ET

Japan nuclear: PM Naoto Kan signals 'maximum alert'

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan has said his government is in a state of maximum alert over the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant.

Plutonium has been detected in soil at the facility and highly radioactive water has leaked from a reactor building.

Officials say the priority remains injecting water to cool the fuel rods.

Mr Kan told parliament the situation at the quake-hit plant "continues to be unpredictable".

The government "will tackle the problem while in a state of maximum alert", he said, adding that he was seeking advice on whether to extend the evacuation zone around the plant.

Meanwhile National Strategy Minister Koichiro Gemba said the government could consider temporarily nationalising Tepco, the company running the plant.

On Monday shares in the company dropped to their lowest level in three decades.

'Utmost efforts'

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano, in another press briefing, described the situation at Fukushima as "very grave".

FUKUSHIMA UPDATE (28 MAR)

• Reactor 1: Damage to the core from cooling problems. Building holed by gas explosion. Highly radioactive water detected in reactor
  • Reactor 2: Damage to the core from cooling problems. Building holed by gas blast; containment damage suspected. Highly radioactive water detected in reactor and adjoining tunnel
  • Reactor 3: Damage to the core from cooling problems. Building holed by gas blast; containment damage possible. Spent fuel pond partly refilled with water after running low. Highly radioactive water detected in reactor
  • Reactor 4: Reactor shut down prior to quake. Fires and explosion in spent fuel pond; water level partly restored
  • Reactors 5 & 6: Reactors shut down. Temperature of spent fuel pools now lowered after rising high

http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-12889541

Well people can choose who to listen to when information is posted. You can see someone like Mt. Z and a few others jumping on the huge 10 mil number and then acting like it validates something.

JoMo posted about the 1000 reading at the #2 reactor and I followed up with the 750 reading in the #3 reactor and posted the link up above.

No question that TEPCO comes across as a bunch of bumbling fools at times but information is out there if you take a little time to look for it.

It does validate something that you probably don't like: You're not a science god and don't have all the answers either. We are all contributing - even those who don't live in this thread every day all day long. News is on a 24/7 cycle so don't squeal about some new piece of crappy news released worldwide and then berate the messenger.

No one really knows the actual radiation situation within/around every reactor, including how much radiation is pouring into the sea per hour, or how much radiation is entering the atmosphere per hour, or hour much plutonium has escaped per hour, etc......but you and your buds have all the "correct" answers, right pal? If you did, you wouldn't be wasting your time here.

Archived