Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Winter returns with a vengeance thread again

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will, What is the latest places like BDL, BOS, ORH, and CON have seen a 12+ snowstorm?

I'm pretty sure its:

BOS: Apr 6-7, 1982

BDL: Apr 6-7, 1982

PVD: Mar 31-Apr 1, 1997

ORH: May 9-10, 1977

I'd have to double check though. I know the ORH one is right, lol.

edit:

Forgot CON...Apr 13, 1933

I'm pretty sure its:

edit:

I'll never be able to get over that May 9 and 10 storm. I wonder how much my area had. I wonder if Union got 12

Now we get deeper into April and many elevated areas have had several good 12"+ events probably. We had a very big one in parts of Upstate NY on April 15th, 2007. 10" here which went to rain due to the low track, but a lot more in high elevations southwest of me. That was such a marginal situation here and yet it snowed and accumulated all day despite the sun angle then it turned to rain after dark.....

I'm pretty sure its:

edit:

WHat time does the Euro have it snowing? Does it start before 6:00am?

No, maybe in W MA and Litchfield county it starts around then or slightly before, but it probably starts like 7-8am there. The bulk of the snow will be during the 8-12 time frame tomorrow morning. An hour or two later for places like NE MA and SE NH.

Euro is definitely south with the mid week threat. The shortwave gets shredded more and its mostly a light snow.

That's what I like to hear, Will: you're knocking it out of the park thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Seriously, it seems as if the ECM and GFS have been very inconsistent on this storm; both models trended well north last night, but the 12z GFS held out while the 12z ECM slipped back south. The GGEM is really the only model that's been consistent, always showing this to be a NYC and S CT/ S RI threat rather than a big hit up towards ORH. This is a weird storm, as it's not often we see a huge snow event in Fargo ND that goes on to nail the I-95 corridor. One thing I don't like is that the event seems to be speeding up which means it occurs mostly during the day Wednesday, and that will mean we're contending with the late March sun angle.

Scooter's north trend FTL

Eh, its one run and its more an issue of disorganized shortwave...the precip shield just doesn't look that good on this run. The good vorticity sort of gets split in two.

This threat being 3.5-4 days out still has plenty of oscillations in store I'm sure and by no means is a lock for a good storm.

Will...is this strictly a high elevation snow or will my latitude be good enough for a couple sloppy inches?

You talking about tomorrow?

Elevation will certainly help but you should be good for a couple inches I would think.

That's what I like to hear, Will: you're knocking it out of the park thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Seriously, it seems as if the ECM and GFS have been very inconsistent on this storm; both models trended well north last night, but the 12z GFS held out while the 12z ECM slipped back south. The GGEM is really the only model that's been consistent, always showing this to be a NYC and S CT/ S RI threat rather than a big hit up towards ORH. This is a weird storm, as it's not often we see a huge snow event in Fargo ND that goes on to nail the I-95 corridor. One thing I don't like is that the event seems to be speeding up which means it occurs mostly during the day Wednesday, and that will mean we're contending with the late March sun angle.

I'd keep expectations pretty low. This is the first south trend on the Euro in like the last 5 runs. There isn't a lot of room for this one...it could be a shredded mess like the Euro shows (its south, but less juicy overall and an ugly precip shield) or it could end up a little more amped and threaten parts of SNE with sleet. The band of good snows will be relatively narrow.

I'm not getting too optimistic for this one yet, but I think there will be at least some snow.

I'd keep expectations pretty low. This is the first south trend on the Euro in like the last 5 runs. There isn't a lot of room for this one...it could be a shredded mess like the Euro shows (its south, but less juicy overall and an ugly precip shield) or it could end up a little more amped and threaten parts of SNE with sleet. The band of good snows will be relatively narrow.

I'm not getting too optimistic for this one yet, but I think there will be at least some snow.

Do you think the coastal could potentially become more amplified and give some back-end snows? Or is it just a west to east mover?

Do you think the coastal could potentially become more amplified and give some back-end snows? Or is it just a west to east mover?

Its probably going to be mostly a northern side system though a few GFS ensemble members amp it up enough to try and wrap moisture around more to the west, but its certainly not a classic coastal. It might try and blow up a bit as it exits stage right.

Archived