Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With GFS giving DET 0.39QPF, only a small north adjustment can make 3-5" snowfall a 4-8" snowfall...nothing more fun than last minute NW shifts (assuming that were to happen of course).

Yeah I think a touch north of you guys would be the place to be, but it's going to be close. Any last minute bump south puts you in prime position. At the least you should get a period of very heavy snow following the changeover later tomorrow night. As much as I want another snow, it'd be nice for you guys to cash in on a 10"+ storm this season. :snowman:

This convection rolling through Michigan is something else...SEMI watchers may wana step outside in a little while for a smoke or whatever. Check the radar if you haven't yet lol

Well I dont smoke and I was going to hit the sack lol but that radar is something else. Per reports in SW MI its ALL snow despite reds/yellows on radar. Per Harry in BTL area some sick rates with this snowfall. Nice appetizer perhaps? Our snowpack has compacted to 8" though it still has 1.1" water content.

Yeah I think a touch north of you guys would be the place to be, but it's going to be close. Any last minute bump south puts you in prime position. At the least you should get a period of very heavy snow following the changeover later tomorrow night. As much as I want another snow, it'd be nice for you guys to cash in on a 10"+ storm this season. :snowman:

Yeah we'll get a period of good rates. We have some dry air to play with to try to wetbulb below zero in time for the bulk of the precip, but slight changes in the column will be huge.

Gonna be interesting to see what IND does with the watch. Really tough call especially for the northern row of counties. If anybody hits warning criteria for snow, it will be LAF to OKK, but of course it's highly dependent on the amount of mixing. Advisory may end up being a better option but it's very close either way.

Anyone think there may be a ZR threat with this one just south of where its all snow? I mean, both the NAM and GFS show over a .25 inch in places and the NAM has nearly .90 inches near KMIE. Im not sure what to expect here. Im thinking at the moment rain changing to ZR tomorrow night, then changing to snow Friday morning with maybe 2-4 inches.

Anyone think there may be a ZR threat with this one just south of where its all snow? I mean, both the NAM and GFS show over a .25 inch in places and the NAM has nearly .90 inches near KMIE. Im not sure what to expect here. Im thinking at the moment rain changing to ZR tomorrow night, then changing to snow Friday morning with maybe 2-4 inches.

Yes, the model output is pretty bullish but the corridor is still up in the air. Winds won't be like the Groundhog event but it will be a bit breezy, so might be some issues depending on the amount of ice.

Archived