• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Why again i don't understand why people compare 18z to 00z and such. Should be comparing it to the 12z run. Most times 18z run ( as is 06z ) is off in it's own little world. Only inside of 24hrs does it make sense to compare them and even then we can see differences. I know some wil disagree and that's fine. Again there is always exceptions. Could be this run is a fluke ( has it's own issues ) but we wont know till the others have run. Thus sit back and wait and see what the rest show.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not crippling, but there definitely are some strong convective influences going on there. Probably overdoing it a bit. Same thing happened on the blizzard a few weeks ago too.

So are you thinking this is driving too strong of pressure falls? I don't see anything wrong with the depiction of the upper wave--typically too much released latent heat release weakens the wave aloft unrealistically in "convective feedback" events where the models overproduce sub-grid scale convection--I don't see that here.

Why again i don't understand why people compare 18z to 00z and such. Should be comparing it to the 12z run. Most times 18z run ( as is 06z ) is off in it's own little world. Only inside of 24hrs does it make sense to compare them and even then we can see differences. I know some wil disagree and that's fine. Again there is always exceptions. Could be this run is a fluke ( has it's own issues ) but we wont know till the others have run. Thus sit back and wait and see what the rest show.

We were discussing this earlier. It only makes sense if you agree with that premise (bolded), which is debatable.

Not crippling, but there definitely are some strong convective influences going on there. Probably overdoing it a bit. Same thing happened on the blizzard a few weeks ago too.

See 18hrs on this model. Usually when the low points like that ( as i like to say ) that is the general direction it heads for but ala it goes almost due east ( maybe a little ese ) towards the massive QPF bomb in KY. Thus i think the issue starts there. Thats me though.

So are you thinking this is driving too strong of pressure falls? I don't see anything wrong with the depiction of the upper wave--typically too much released latent heat release weakens the wave aloft unrealistically in "convective feedback" events where the models overproduce sub-grid scale convection--I don't see that here.

Yeah the upper wave looks just fine. The big "leap" forward of the SLP between 24 and 30 is probably a bit much. I'm not saying there won't be some convectively driven pressure falls, but I'm not sure it'll be that extreme. NAM can overdo it with that sometimes it seems.

See 18hrs on this model. Usually when the low points like that ( as i like to say ) that is the general direction it heads for but ala it goes almost due east ( maybe a little ese ) towards the massive QPF bomb in KY. Thus i think the issue starts there. Thats me though.

That was my thought as well. The big jump towards that bullseye seemed suspicious.

Yeah the upper wave looks just fine. The big "leap" forward of the SLP between 24 and 30 is probably a bit much. I'm not saying there won't be some convectively driven pressure falls, but I'm not sure it'll be that extreme. NAM can overdo it with that sometimes it seems.

Yeah the jump may be a bit suspicious and now I see what you guys are referencing. I guess this could be overcooked positive "convective feedback" although some jump is not unrealistic.

I'm going to ignore the NAM solution. The bulk of guidance does have the H5 shortwave trough taking on a slight negative tilt as it gets into the Mid MS/OH Valleys. IMO dynamics normally win over convective driven pressure falls in this kind of a setup.

Hmm I don't see one numerical suite that has a negative tilt upper tropospheric wave.

So could have the 18z been to far NW..? all this craziness with the NAM and the GFS. The European models seem to fairing very well handling the pattern and this system

Possibly, but we'll have a better understanding once we see the rest of the 0z suite. NAM looks like it's suffering from some plotting problems. Through 18 I was actually thinking it was going further NW than its 18z run and things kinda fell apart from there.

0z RGEM through 36 looks fairly similar to the 18z. Tought to compare because the intervals don't match up.

Watched Don pauls forecast tonight and the new microcast model looked pretty good for Toronto, however the mixing did come pretty close but still looked good. Adam stiles of City tv updated the microcast on the 6 p.m show and it showed 6'' for toronto so we look pretty good at this point.

Watched Don pauls forecast tonight and the new microcast model looked pretty good for Toronto, however the mixing did come pretty close but still looked good. Adam stiles of City tv updated the microcast on the 6 p.m show and it showed 6'' for toronto so we look pretty good at this point.

You get the 10pm broadcast of WIVB news? Cool. That's a pretty big jump north because when Don showed the microcast at 6pm it still fringed us.

Archived