Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think CLE downplayed this event way too much. Currently blizzard warning criteria IMO:

2011/02/25 09:51 KCLE 250951Z 02027G35KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN FZFG FEW002 BKN005 OVC010 M02/M03 A2961 RMK AO2 PK WND 02035/0944 SLP036 SNINCR 1/3 DRSN P0002 T10171028 $

2011/02/25 11:51 KCLE 251151Z 02029G43KT 1/2SM SN BLSN FZFG FEW002 BKN008 OVC014 M02/M03 A2962 RMK AO2 PK WND 02043/1150 SLP036 SNINCR 1/5 DRSN P0002 60029 70029 931039 4/005 8/5// T10221033 11006 21022 50016 $

Time to go to work. This should be fun!

Snow (and what looks like heavy snow according to radar) is just to my southwest as of 1130z. However, the gradient is extremely tight due to the amount of dry air being advected into system on its northern flank. This is going to be a close call.

SN being reported in Hamilton now and 0.2 km visibility.

It will be interesting to see if that makes it up this way,

It is so close :guitar:

Things have been so lame here recently this is kinda exciting.

SN being reported in Hamilton now and 0.2 km visibility.

It will be interesting to see if that makes it up this way,

It is so close :guitar:

Things have been so lame here recently this is kinda exciting.

That band producing that +SN is moving out into Lk Ontario per KC radar. And at 7.06 EC updated to drop all accumulations from the forecast for Toronto. :( The busts don't stop this winter.

Figures, ready for the spring :P

May have been a bit premature on their part, but radar is not looking promising.

Assuming we get shutout in the big storm department, it's going to be really tough to grade this winter in April. Actual total winter snowfall amounts mean a lot to me, but the near misses from large storms have been ridiculous this year.

Snow is drifty here, but the best measurement I could come up with was around 3". Safe to say you can call it a bust for LAF, but it is what it is. Of the 0z runs last night, the GFS embarrassed the 0z NAM for MBY. Unfortunately that will still leave us shy of 50" for the season, but we did move to 6th place on the snowiest season list. Also this winter will be only the second time we've had at least 10" of snow in all of Dec, Jan, and Feb...so all is not lost.

My 3-5" call was great but the higher amounts on models and from forecasters busted here.

My 1-4" worked out for here, but for the wrong reason. Instead of rain or mix cutting down totals, which we had no rain or mix, it just didn't snow enough. :lol::arrowhead:

Kind of disappointing, but yet I'm really not upset at all. At least we had some measurable snow to close out February. For here, hopefully we can find 1.8" somewhere in March to get to 50" for the season. Otherwise, I'm ready to move on. :)

Its awesome outside this morning, like a blizzard almost. Didnt even start snowing til I think 4-5am. At 750am we had 3.4" here, snow depth 10", still snowing moderately. Blowing and drifting and very low visib. Definitely more snow here than towards DTW and such. Will be interesting to see Monroe county and Toledo totals.

Think I got some good pics. busy morning then work. The sides of some trees are plastered, and in places where snows blowing off rooftops it is really caking snow to trees, yet the snow isnt necessarily wet. Its weird, but gorgeous out! Will easily end up with 4+ inches here.

Congrats Angrysummons. :snowman:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

753 AM EST FRI FEB 25 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0715 AM HEAVY SNOW LIMA 40.74N 84.11W

02/25/2011 M6.0 INCH ALLEN OH EMERGENCY MNGR

My 1-4" worked out for here, but for the wrong reason. Instead of rain or mix cutting down totals, which we had no rain or mix, it just didn't snow enough. :lol::arrowhead:

Kind of disappointing, but yet I'm really not upset at all. At least we had some measurable snow to close out February. For here, hopefully we can find 1.8" somewhere in March to get to 50" for the season. Otherwise, I'm ready to move on. :)

Dry air took a long time to overcome here. I was disappointed but should have known. It happens every time. :(

I think Hoosier was musing yesterday that 8-10" seemed too conservative. So that's a decent sized bust. But hey, at least it's better to bust together. :hug:

Dry air took a long time to overcome here. I was disappointed but should have known. It happens every time. :(

Seems like only the Feb 5th storm worked out well for you. For some reason, OKK has been in a different world than LAF this winter...especially the Dec systems that "screwed" you while being good here and places west and northwest. Well I guess it could've been worse. Hopefully severe weather season is good.

I think Hoosier was musing yesterday that 8-10" seemed too conservative. So that's a decent sized bust. But hey, at least it's better to bust together. :hug:

Yeah he was feeling it, but I can't say he was too crazy as pretty much all of the models were beating the 0.75" or slightly more QPF drum. Obviously they whiffed on that idea, but we were overdue for a bust here (not counting Groundhog day, which was a different animal in itself). Too many overachievers in Dec and Jan for LAF...we had to pay the piper at some point. :D

Unfortunately for you, another disappointment. Tough season, but good thing LES bailed you out, no? :guitar:

Seems like only the Feb 5th storm worked out well for you. For some reason, OKK has been in a different world than LAF this winter...especially the Dec systems that "screwed" you while being good here and places west and northwest. Well I guess it could've been worse. Hopefully severe weather season is good.

Yep, 2/5 was great. I didn't spend days following it. No agonizing over a forecast. It was a do nothing Saturday. BOOM! 6 inches!

Yeah he was feeling it, but I can't say he was too crazy as pretty much all of the models were beating the 0.75" or slightly more QPF drum. Obviously they whiffed on that idea, but we were overdue for a bust here (not counting Groundhog day, which was a different animal in itself). Too many overachievers in Dec and Jan for LAF...we had to pay the piper at some point. :D

Unfortunately for you, another disappointment. Tough season, but good thing LES bailed you out, no? :guitar:

Sickest part is that 4 days ago we both agreed we were ready for spring. Yet somehow the allure of these storms is irresistible, and they keep luring us back in. :lol: But I can't complain too much. Only those wacky 18z runs on Wednesday really bullseyed me. Plus I didn't lose a wink of sleep/got work done. So not much was lost.

Archived