Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may or may not matter, but for those in the Toronto/Golden Horseshoe area, tonight's Euro run held serve from its 12z run with respect to QPF.

YYZ (Pearson airport): 0.23"

YTZ (Toronto Island): 0.26"

YHM (Hamilton): 0.37"

Adam Stiles of City TV downgraded his snowfall projections in the 11 pm newscast from 2-3" (4-8 cm) to 1-2" (2-6 cm). Anthony Farnell of Global is calling for around 2" (5 cm).

This may or may not be matter, but for those in the Toronto/Golden Horseshoe area, tonight's Euro run held serve from its 12z run with respect to QPF.

YYZ (Pearson airport): 0.23"

YTZ (Toronto Island): 0.26"

YHM (Hamilton): 0.37"

Adam Stiles of City TV downgraded his snowfall projections in the 11 pm newscast from 2-3" (4-8 cm) to 1-2" (2-6 cm). Anthony Farnell of Global is calling for around 2" (5 cm).

I think YYZ was at 0.22" at 12z. So take that NAM!

999mb SLP along the KY/IN border, just SE of EVV.

It has moved NE since it's earlier position along the AR/TN border, just north of Memphis.

Edit: Make that 997mb near Evansville/Owensboro.

As of 6z...Looks like a 998mb SLP somewhere near the IN/KY border, somewhere between Owensboro/Louisville/Elizabethtown.

Surrounded by snow here... oh well.

Nobody get mad at me for saying this, but it looks to me like the heaviest snow is north of where it was supposed to be... nice band of moderate to heavy snow across southern Michigan and northern Indiana -- though I don't know if all of that is reaching the ground. Finally saturated enough to reach the ground here.

centgrtlakes_loop.gif

All these pockets of dry slotting ewww :yikes:

Yeah, kind of weird. It's really ripping here though -- probably inch per hour. I hope this band doesn't keep lifting north though, there seems to be a really narrow area of moderate to heavy snow. South of here the snow is lighter (TOL reporting 0.75 SM visib. and TDZ reporting 2 SM visibility). North of here even though the snow looks heavier, obs don't really show it reaching the ground yet.

Snow has changed over to freezing rain in Muncie. It doesn't seem like a lot, but the droplets are very fine, almost like a heavy freezing drizzle. It's just a glazing right now, but with as much as the winds are rocking and rolling, I wouldn't want this to keep going for very much longer.

I think it is mostly a mid-level dry slot aloft and lack of crystals combined with the warm saturated layer. Might last another hour then turn back to snow.

This is from Met from Detroit Sean Ash:

Sean Ash Storm definitely has some over-achieving to do w/ considerably dry air in the 850-500mb layer. However, strong frontogenesis noted at 700mb now working into SE Michigan... and the race is on. Can this feature squeeze-out enough snow before system quickly departs to hit forecast target? I expect a decent burst once all levels saturate... and snowfall rates in heaviest areas could still approach 1"/hr. As I mentioned the snow gradient is going to be incredibly SHARP. Famine to feast across the viewing area today. Grabbing a quick bite and heading in weather freaks :)

Been getting that same "ice" looks to be moving out.. Looks like big band starting to develope around Muncie.

I looks misty outside. All I have is a small porthole to go by, and I can't go outside to check, but looking at an outside camera, it might be very small snowflakes. I just can't tell for sure.

Archived