Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't agree with IND's afternoon warning decision. They left the current warnings and advisories in place as is.

Yeah I think there's enough evidence (not talking 18z NAM) to ramp up snow totals. Models have trended a tad cooler which increases the snow threat farther south.

Drops about 1" qpf on LAF all snow. Starting to wonder if my 6-8" is a little too conservative.

My rule of thumb is to always cut NAM QPF by about 10-25% once it starts getting into amounts of say greater than 0.75". But with that impressive blob of pcpn moving right towards you, maybe this is winter's going away present for you.

Most all around unsatisfying near to above normal snowfall winter I can remember.

Ya, i hear ya :whistle:

Looks like a good storm is coming then we get shafted at last minute.

There has been a southerly shift at last minute this season.

The last La Nina in 07-08 winter did the NW trend from models, to our benefit.

C'est la vie :lightning:

Most all around unsatisfying near to above normal snowfall winter I can remember.

For me, it's 1995-96 (hopefully Torontonian can remember this as well). Finished with around 55", but there was no 6"+ storm. And there were lots of thaws in between the cold snaps. Overall snow depth that winter was less impressive than this winter. And to make things worse, there were several near misses (Jan 3rd, 1996 and the one that really hurt the most--March 20th, 1996). That March storm was forecast to give Toronto 8-10", but ended up getting 3" of wet snow.

For me, it's 1995-96 (hopefully Torontonian can remember this as well). Finished with around 55", but there was no 6"+ storm. And there were lots of thaws in between the cold snaps. Overall snow depth that winter was less impressive than this winter. And to make things worse, there were several near misses (Jan 3rd, 1996 and the one that really hurt the most--March 20th, 1996). That March storm was forecast to give Toronto 8-10", but ended up getting 3" of wet snow.

I don't specifically remember the dates but found all of mid 1990's disappointing around here.

Maybe it was 1995 but i remember it being 32 degrees and cloudy all of Feb. it seemed, with nothing to show.

This looked potentially good today but not now.

We still have about 4 weeks. Yawn...:unsure:

That sounds worse than this year because it would seem there's little snowcover/snowdepth that year. But I was too young to remember the specifics.

Also, although I'm on track for a near/above normal snowfall winter (along with North York and Buttonville), downtown and Pearson are still way back in the race. So there's still a decent chance that Toronto "officially" ends up below normal, which is truly amazing if you consider what's been going on to our east and west.

Latest RUC now keeps the sfc low predominantly SOUTH of the Ohio River. Even the low end amounts are going to have big time bust potential.

Funny tho, IWX mentions thinking heavier snow may creep N into its adv. counties and leaving the evening shift to monitor the northward momentum of the snow. Sometimes frustrating to see the different interpretations from different WFO's and even what models to hug or blend.

Archived