• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Severe Weather Threat in Dixie Alley/OV Feb 27 - Mar 1

Fred Gossage

I would tend to agree with Jim on this. My rule of thumb is typically sfc-500 mb wind direction difference of 45 degrees...anything above that is fine for sustained supercells, but below that it gets a lot more difficult. Not to mention the veer-back-veer pattern as you go up with height.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^@Tony: I'm mostly referring to after 06Z, with the 2nd round of storms. I'm decently gung-ho on the first round since the sfc low reformation wouldn't be making a huge dent on the surface windfield until after then.

That SSW wind is doable, but again taken verbatim, it's still not as potent as a more backed flow, which is needed to up the ceiling on this event to stronger levels. Depending on many mesoscale factors the surface flow could still go either way.

The sfc flow on the GFS is SW in many areas...behind the convection. Let's try looking just ahead of it...

GFS_3_2011022700_F30_35.0000N_91.0000W.png

GFS_3_2011022700_F30_35.0000N_91.0000W_HODO.png

Large, looping hodo in SSW sfc flow...this is NE AR at 06z...

nice looking profile, but this isn't a very alarming or crazy profile. Your 500-700 you'd like to see straight westerly flow and the problem I see with the surface flow along with not being SE is it is weak. I still think we have a decent outbreak but the Hodo's out of the region are ok, we'll probably end up similar to the recent event probably 20 tornadoes.

I would tend to agree with Jim on this. My rule of thumb is typically sfc-500 mb wind direction difference of 45 degrees...anything above that is fine for sustained supercells, but below that it gets a lot more difficult. Not to mention the veer-back-veer pattern as you go up with height.

We have 45 degrees especially on the NAM. The veer-back-veer thing is interesting and could be an issue, but it doesn't seem to be that pronounced imo and a fairly minor change would basically eradicate that.

The other thing to keep in mind is the GFS's propensity of late to be too weak (even outside its scaling differences from the NAM and other mesoscale models) with sfc reflections of recent storms. My suspicion is that's the case with this one, and that the NAM's intensity of the sfc reflection is far more likely to win over the GFS's.

nice looking profile, but this isn't a very alarming or crazy profile. Your 500-700 you'd like to see straight westerly flow and the problem I see with the surface flow along with not being SE is it is weak. I still think we have a decent outbreak but the Hodo's out of the region are ok, we'll probably end up similar to the recent event probably 20 tornadoes.

I could agree with this, but being that it looks like mostly a night time event, it just takes one tornado to make this significant.

We have 45 degrees especially on the NAM. The veer-back-veer thing is interesting and could be an issue, but it doesn't seem to be that pronounced imo and a fairly minor change would basically eradicate that.

No we don't, at least not west of the MS river at 06z. I've looked everywhere on the NAM in AR/MO at that time, and it gets close in some places (40 degrees or so), but never above 45. The GFS is worse. Now of course that's taking it verbatim, and it's not all that far away from being sufficient for sustained supercells, which is why if it were a slightly different trough/sfc low evolution, things would be much different. The best chance for significant tornadoes I think is anything that fires in the relatively-backed low-level flow S or SE of the lead wave that heads up into IL/IN by 06z.

No we don't, at least not west of the MS river at 06z. I've looked everywhere on the NAM in AR/MO at that time, and it gets close in some places (40 degrees or so), but never above 45. The GFS is worse. Now of course that's taking it verbatim, and it's not all that far away from being sufficient for sustained supercells, which is why if it were a slightly different trough/sfc low evolution, things would be much different. The best chance for significant tornadoes I think is anything that fires in the relatively-backed low-level flow S or SE of the lead wave that heads up into IL/IN by 06z.

Gotcha...I was mainly looking along/east of the river.

Just looking at my latest output and still staying pretty consistent with a target area of Chanute-Pittsburg-Coffeyville, KS, to Joplin, MO to Miami, OK-Neosho, OK. Time frame for this is still looking around 02-05Z, but that keeps waffling back and forth, hoping to get a good time down in the morning. Any thoughts on potential for this area. Graphic map is viewable at http://smartwxmodel.net.

I could agree with this, but being that it looks like mostly a night time event, it just takes one tornado to make this significant.

Ya I know... it only takes one. Just that 0-3km shear isn't impressive to me. I see this very similar to the other days event squall line with embedded rotation and tornado threat.

Ya I know... it only takes one. Just that 0-3km shear isn't impressive to me. I see this very similar to the other days event squall line with embedded rotation and tornado threat.

Mike what area/time you looking at, I am mostly focusing on 0z and especially 6z east of the Mississippi River and North of Memphis.

In my experience in dealing with Dixie Alley tornado outbreaks... the veering on these hodographs being discussed... in the lowest 2 kilometers... is more than adequate for not only strong tornadoes... but violent, long-tracked tornadoes. I can cite enough historical cases to make you all shut up and never talk to me again for the rest of your lives. HOWEVER, I will also say that... with the veer-back-veer pattern in the mid-levels as significant as it is... I have busted many a significant tornado forecast in both Dixie Alley and Tornado Alley with that pattern. It's not so much a direct problem for tornadogenesis as it is... a problem for supercell storm mode.... that trickles down to a problem for significant tornadogenesis. Even with an EML and forcing more favorable for discrete mode... with such a mid-level wind profile... I could easily see these storms lining out much faster than they otherwise would tomorrow night. Having said that, I still would've hatched the tornado probabilities on the Day 1....

TOR probs increasesd as well as hatched area

also three rounds/area to watch possible

DAY 1 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0653 AM CST SUN FEB 27 2011

VALID 271300Z - 281200Z

..THERE IS A MDT RISK OF SVR TSTMS OVER PORTIONS OF AR

SERN

MO...WRN PARTS OF TN AND KY...SRN IL AND FAR SWRN IND...

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM PARTS OF THE CNTRL/SRN

PLAINS NEWD THROUGH MUCH OF THE OH VALLEY...

..SYNOPSIS

MID AND UPPER-LEVEL CYCLONE OVER THE LOWER CO VALLEY WILL BECOME

INCREASINGLY SHEARED WHILE TRANSLATING EWD INTO CONFLUENT FLOW

REGIME IN PLACE E OF THE ROCKIES. THE LEADING PORTION OF THIS

SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO REACH THE CNTRL/SRN HIGH PLAINS BY AFTERNOON

PRIOR TO LOSING AMPLITUDE WHILE EJECTING NEWD INTO THE UPPER MIDWEST

OVERNIGHT. IN ITS WAKE...THE MORE SUBSTANTIAL...REMAINING PORTION

OF MIDLEVEL TROUGH WILL SHIFT EWD THROUGH THE CNTRL/SRN PLAINS

TOWARD THE MID/LOWER MS VALLEYS BY 28/12Z.

AT THE SURFACE...LEE CYCLONE NOW DEEPENING OVER ERN CO IS FORECAST

TO DEVELOP TO THE VICINITY OF THE OK/KS BORDER NEAR OR JUST W OF

I-35 BY 28/00Z BEFORE ACCELERATING NEWD THROUGH CNTRL MO AND THE OH

VALLEY TONIGHT. AN ASSOCIATED WARM FRONT WILL LIFT NWD THROUGH THE

OZARKS AND MID MS/OH VALLEYS IN ADVANCE OF THIS INITIAL SURFACE LOW

WHILE A TRAILING COLD FRONT PUSHES SEWD THROUGH THE SRN PLAINS.

ELSEWHERE...A DRYLINE WILL MIX EWD TO THE VICINITY OF I-35 IN OK/N

TX BY LATE AFTERNOON BEFORE BEING OVERTAKEN BY PACIFIC FRONT WHICH

WILL SURGE EWD TOWARD THE LOWER MS VALLEY IN TANDEM WITH PRIMARY

PORTION OF UPPER TROUGH. THERE IS SOME INDICATION THAT A SECONDARY

SURFACE LOW MAY FORM TONIGHT AT THE INTERSECTION OF THE COLD AND

PACIFIC FRONTS NEAR THE CONFLUENCE OF THE MS AND OH VALLEYS.

..CNTRL/SRN PLAINS INTO THE OH VALLEY AND MID-SOUTH

LATEST MESOSCALE AND CONVECTION-ALLOWING MODEL GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED

TOWARD A HIGHER PROBABILITY OF DIURNAL TSTM DEVELOPMENT THIS

AFTERNOON INTO EVENING FROM THE VICINITY OF SURFACE TRIPLE POINT

OVER S-CNTRL KS/N-CNTRL OK NEWD TOWARD MKC. HERE...DEEP ASCENT IN

EXIT REGION OF UPPER JET STREAK /ATTENDANT TO LEAD IMPULSE MENTIONED

ABOVE/ COUPLED WITH A STRENGTHENING FRONTOGENETICAL CIRCULATION ARE

EXPECTED TO OVERCOME CAP...SUPPORTING TSTM DEVELOPMENT ALONG OR ON

IMMEDIATE COOL SIDE OF SURFACE BOUNDARY. STEEP MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES

AND BOUNDARY LAYER DEW POINTS IN THE UPPER 50S TO LOWER 60S WILL

YIELD A MODERATELY UNSTABLE ENVIRONMENT WITH MLCAPE VALUES

APPROACHING 1000 J/KG. MOREOVER...LOCALLY BACKED NEAR-SURFACE WINDS

BENEATH SWLY MIDLEVEL FLOW INCREASING TO 80-90 KT WILL RESULT IN

MORE THAN SUFFICIENT VERTICAL SHEAR FOR ORGANIZED STORMS INCLUDING

SUPERCELLS. THE PRIMARY HAZARD APPEARS TO BE HAIL...THOUGH A

TORNADO OR TWO IS POSSIBLE WITH ANY STORMS ROOTED IN THE BOUNDARY

LAYER.

EXPECT A RAPID DOWNSTREAM EXPANSION IN STRONG TO SEVERE TSTMS

TONIGHT FROM THE MID MS VALLEY EWD THROUGH THE OH VALLEY ALONG AND S

OF WARM FRONT AND IN ADVANCE OF MIGRATORY SURFACE LOW. AMBIENT

ENVIRONMENT WILL BE CHARACTERIZED BY MARGINAL INSTABILITY /I.E.

MLCAPE VALUES GENERALLY LESS THAN 500 J PER KG/ BUT VERY STRONG LOW

AND DEEP-LAYER SHEAR. AS SUCH...THE POTENTIAL WILL EXIST FOR

FAST-MOVING SUPERCELL AND/OR BOWING STORM CLUSTERS WITH A THREAT FOR

DAMAGING WINDS AND TORNADOES.

A SECOND...POTENTIALLY HIGHER IMPACT TSTM REGIME MAY DEVELOP LATE

THIS AFTERNOON OR MID/LATE EVENING FROM PORTIONS OF CNTRL/NERN AR

NEWD INTO THE LOWER OH VALLEY...ALONG RETREATING WARM FRONT OR

PERHAPS IN THE WAKE OF THE FRONT ALONG A CONFLUENCE ZONE DEVELOPING

WITHIN THE OPEN WARM SECTOR. HERE...SEVERAL MESOSCALE AND

CONVECTION-ALLOWING MODELS DEVELOP A DISTINCTLY SEPARATE AREA OF

CONVECTIVE PRECIPITATION WHICH EVENTUALLY MERGES WITH

ABOVE-MENTIONED CORRIDOR OF STORMS TRAVERSING THE OH VALLEY. GIVEN

THE MOIST/LOW LCL ENVIRONMENT...STRONG VERTICAL SHEAR AND POTENTIAL

FOR A MORE DISCRETE STORM MODE...IT APPEARS THAT THIS SETUP WOULD

FOSTER THE GREATEST THREAT FOR SIGNIFICANT TORNADOES IN ADDITION TO

HAIL AND LOCALLY DAMAGING WIND GUSTS.

A THIRD SVR TSTM EPISODE IS EXPECTED TO TAKE SHAPE ACROSS PARTS OF

ERN OK/WRN AR THIS EVENING INTO TONIGHT AS A PACIFIC FRONT OVERTAKES

THE DRYLINE AND SURGES EWD IN CONCERT WITH THE MAIN PORTION OF THE

UPPER TROUGH. INITIAL STORM MODE MAY BE SUPERCELLULAR...THOUGH A

RAPID TRANSITION TO QLCS IS EXPECTED WITH THE CONVECTIVE SYSTEM

REACHING WRN TN AND THE MS DELTA REGION BY THE END OF THE D1 PERIOD.

HERE TOO...VERTICAL SHEAR WILL BE QUITE STRONG AND SUPPORTIVE OF

EMBEDDED SUPERCELL AND/OR BOWING STRUCTURES CAPABLE OF POTENTIALLY

WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS AND A FEW TORNADOES.

I have a question. Is there any difference between a strong and a significant tornado. A strong tornado is anything EF2+ so is a significant tornado anything EF3+ or is it the same as a strong tornado. EF2(Significant), EF3(Severe), EF4(Devastating), and EF5(Incredible).

I've always thought that strong/significant tornadoes are EF 2 and EF 3 with the word Violent used for EF-4 and EF 5.

Archived