Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
JB resigned from accuweather

k***

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several more thoughts, aside from my hoping that JB finds success in whatever path he chooses to pursue:

1. AccuWx Pro offers a range of access to models (including 6-hour Euro maps out to 240 hours). There is value to that offering aside from JB's commentary.

2. JB's commentary also added value. It might also have been an important marketing tool.

With respect to AccuWx Pro, there may be a risk that the value offered < then the price charged. If so, that aspect of AccuWx would suffer until a suitable means of restoring that value is created and/or the price is reduced to reflect the current value proposition. My guess is that Henry Margusity has an opportunity to really step up. Can he do so? Time will tell. Some AccuWx Pro subscribers will or probably have already canceled their subscriptions. Others may wait to see what Mr. Margusity offers (and I wish him well in his new challenge, as I believe it will be a rigorous one). I suspect that JB was fairly unique given the combination of his personality, passion for the weather, and technical competency in forecasting. Hence, his departure will create a gap for AccuWx Pro that will not immediately be filled (some loss in value).

The larger issue about AccuWx's future is separate from AccuWx Pro. No fairly effective company should face an existential crisis with the departure of any single employee. I believe AccuWx is sufficiently strong that it won't face anything like an existential crisis, though it could lose some clients and may, at least for a time, face a flatter growth trajectory.

Given JB's personality, I suspect that he would like something that gives him national exposure, especially as it was national exposure that really made it possible for JB to differentiate himself by becoming a widely-known meteorologist. If he signs on with a client company, the compensation and job security would have to be sufficiently attractive to make it worth his while to work with a more limited exposure that comes from serving the client exclusively. Otherwise, he would more than likely go independent (and probably wind up gaining at least some of his former clients when it is contractually possible for him to do so, not to mention TV appearances). Given his past stances, it is extremely unlikely that he would join NWS/NHC. Academia probably wouldn't offer him what he is looking for either, unless he really wants to step away from day-to-day/medium-term forecasting (something for which there was little indication).

Finally, it would not be in JB's interests to rail against AccuWx. He built a long career there. For better or for worse, AccuWx was a major part of his building toward whatever new endeavors might await him. Turning on AccuWx would not accomplish much and it could be counterproductive. Of course, at this stage, there is no credible evidence that he left AccuWx on less than amicable terms. It is plausible that over the long-term his interests/desires diverged from what was possible at AccuWx. If that's what happened, that doesn't mean that AccuWx had suddenly become toxic for JB. It's just that things might have evolved to the point where he felt that he would be better off pursuing new endeavors.

Several more thoughts, aside from my hoping that JB finds success in whatever path he chooses to pursue:

1. AccuWx Pro offers a range of access to models (including 6-hour Euro maps out to 240 hours). There is value to that offering aside from JB's commentary.

2. JB's commentary also added value. It might also have been an important marketing tool.

With respect to AccuWx Pro, there may be a risk that the value offered < then the price charged. If so, that aspect of AccuWx would suffer until a suitable means of restoring that value is created and/or the price is reduced to reflect teh current value proposition. My guess is that Henry Margusity has an opportunity to really step up. Can he do so? Time will tell. Some AccuWx Pro subscribers will or probably have already canceled their subscriptions. Others may wait to see what Mr. Margusity offers (and I wish him well in his new challenge, as I believe it will be a rigorous one). I suspect that JB was fairly unique given the combination of his personality, passion for the weather, and technical competency in forecasting. Hence, his departure will create a gap for AccuWx Pro that will not immediately be filled (some loss in value).

The larger issue about AccuWx's future is separate from AccuWx Pro. No fairly effective company should face an existential crisis with the departure of any single employee. I believe AccuWx is sufficiently strong that it won't face anything like an existential crisis, though it could lose some clients and may, at least for a time, face a flatter growth trajectory.

Given JB's personality, I suspect that he would like something that gives him national exposure, especially as it was national exposure that really made it possible for JB to differentiate himself by becoming a widely-known meteorologist. If he signs on with a client company, the compensation and job security would have to be sufficiently attractive to make it worth his while to work with a more limited exposure that comes from serving the client exclusively. Otherwise, he would more than likely go independent (and probably wind up gaining at least some of his former clients when it is contractually possible for him to do so, not to mention TV appearances). Given his past stances, it is extremely unlikely that he would join NWS/NHC. Academia probably wouldn't offer him what he is looking for either, unless he really wants to step away from day-to-day/medium-term forecasting (something for which there was little indication).

Finally, it would not be in JB's interests to rail against AccuWx. He built a long career there. For better or for worse, AccuWx was a major part of his building toward whatever new endeavors might await him. Turning on AccuWx would not accomplish much and it could be counterproductive. Of course, at this stage, there is no credible evidence that he left AccuWx on less than amicable terms. It is plausible that over the long-term his interests/desires diverged from what was possible at AccuWx. If that's what happened, that doesn't mean that AccuWx had suddenly become toxic for JB. It's just that things might have evolved to the point where he felt that he would be better off pursuing new endeavors.

By far the most level headed and well reasoned comment in this entire thread. But I'd expect nothing less from Don! :thumbsup:

I've been a listener of accuwx since the 70's on 1010 wins radio. Learned alot from Bastardi. meyers, Abrams, Sobel, Bowers etc. They couldn't find a better replacement than Henry M on the pro site? There seems to be a lack of good young mets there as all the good ones are most of the originals. How about Ken Reeves as Joes replacement ? Seems very knowledgeable with a upbeat personality.

Just watched Henry M. video on JB's Blog site.

Henry talks about next storm Friday and shows GFS run and Euro run and is leaning towards GFS because he wants snow.

No real discussion about the pattern, setup, NAO, PNA, ridge, trough etc. for a reasoning.

Not sure how well this will pan out for subscribers.

:unsure:

Who cares? At least he's honest and a nice guy. That's all that matters. Besides, Paul Pastolik (sp?) will eventually replace Henry for the long range.

I've been a listener of accuwx since the 70's on 1010 wins radio. Learned alot from Bastardi. meyers, Abrams, Sobel, Bowers etc. They couldn't find a better replacement than Henry M on the pro site? There seems to be a lack of good young mets there as all the good ones are most of the originals. How about Ken Reeves as Joes replacement ? Seems very knowledgeable with a upbeat personality.

Ken's too busy running the show behind the scenes (Director of the Forecast Department last I heard/recall).

By far the most level headed and well reasoned comment in this entire thread. But I'd expect nothing less from Don! :thumbsup:

Indeed-- Accuwx does have its positives and is far more geared towards enthusiasts than something like-- TWC and their horrendous website. If you asked me to chose which one to get rid of, I'd say get rid of TWC every time. Accuweather at least provides valuable non-dumbed down services.

Not sure if this was already stated, but with NBC purchase of TWC, JB's national exposure, and the fact that he and Jim Cantore seem to have a good relationship. I would love to see him go to TWC. Would make it far more watchable and they could do a show with him and Jim. Just a thought.

LOL-there is no way JB is going to go to the TWC. Too fluffy and light--JB likes the hardcore discussion...

LOL-there is no way JB is going to go to the TWC. Too fluffy and light--JB likes the hardcore discussion...

But that's what I mean. Maybe NBC wants to add some gritty programming, not only to TWC, but also to its full network line of programming. They would have him for their national news as a special correspondant and also for MSNBC (possibly have a show for him). Could really make a lot of sense in my ind for NBC to hire him.

Not sure if this was already stated, but with NBC purchase of TWC, JB's national exposure, and the fact that he and Jim Cantore seem to have a good relationship, I would love to see him go to TWC. Would make it far more watchable and they could do a show with him and Jim. Just a thought.

An Italian power hour, eh?

Having worked with Ken, and other Accuwx people former and present can back me up on this, I can say that the weenies would freaking hate poor Ken. He is quite conservative.

I respect JB for his passion for meteorology, and wanting to share that passion...all of us here understand that passion, or why else would we post here...I respect JB for his hard work and dedication...I do think he needs to work on his ability to handle criticism, as do most of us...since his carreer has been in the public eye we get to observe the good, the bad, and the ugly...my sense is that he had a bit of an ego, and had a hard time saying "Hey I called for this to happen, but this is what happened instead. This is what I missed." He had a hard time dealing with the "trolls", instead of ignoring them he would defend himself in a sometimes over-exuberant manner.

however, everyday, I think he did his job to the best of his ability...and always gave it 100%...

I wish him the best, I hope he finds a niche for his passion

Question is why? I didn't read through this entire thread... but there has to be a reason. I do know he's been there for 32 years, so maybe he got tired of it? To me, that's unthinkable... I would NEVER tire of forecasting and watching biblical snowstorms...

We don't know any exact reason. All we know is he apparently did it suddenly and it was his choice, not AccuWeather's. There are suspicions about why, and about what he's going to do now, but that's all.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/02/21/joe-bastardi-resigns-at-accuweather-after-32-years/

From the article - the most insight I've yet seen -

[Addition by Anthony below]

“Can definitively say that his stance on Climate Change did not have anything to do with his departure.” I’ve been aware of Bastardi’s departure since early last week, and I can second that. It’s simply about economics and workload.

Though, that doesn’t stop Joe Romm from spinning into a “climate related” issue, insinuating that Bastardi was “let go” over Romm’s idiotic postings about Bastardi’s views on climate change. Heh, it’s fun to watch the self delusion going on over there.

No, this is all about new opportunity. Mr. Bastardi can forecast without a net, he doesn’t need Accu-Weather to perform the job, only data.

James Murdoch:

"How we deal with climate-change deniers depends on who they are. If they run energy policy for large governments, then they're a problem. If it's a random columnist, ignore them for a while. If they're in my paper? Well, I don't tell people what to write."

Ahahahaha!!!! What are you eastern weenies going to do now that your full of crap long range forecaster is gone? I've always hated the guy, maybe I've hated him because he worked for AccuWeather? But I think I just overall hate the guy and everything about him, just the way he carries himself is what bugs me.

I hear Kevin Martin and him are teaming up for a huge project.

Ahahahaha!!!! What are you eastern weenies going to do now that your full of crap long range forecaster is gone? I've always hated the guy, maybe I've hated him because he worked for AccuWeather? But I think I just overall hate the guy and everything about him, just the way he carries himself is what bugs me.

I hear Kevin Martin and him are teaming up for a huge project.

You think he's gone for good? It must be the "hate" word that is affecting you.

JB can be annoying and he has his flaws but I've found I can usually get something valuable from his discussions even if he's not always right or I don't agree with him on certain issues.

You think he's gone for good? It must be the "hate" word that is affecting you.

Archived