Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
february 20-21st winter storm

earthlight

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think a compromise of the HRRR/RUC and NAM/GFS is in order. I would expect accumulating snow (at least a coating) to reach Monmouth and southern Middlesex counties in NJ.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may well be because I don't know much about radar)...but don't those juicy images posted include virga?

The simulated radar images from the HRRR (and all models for that matter) can be deceiving, especially when there is lots of dry air aloft. The 13z HRRR has measurable precip. making it only as far north as about a Flemington-Toms River, NJ line through 4z tonight, while the simulated radar has 25 dbz echoes as far north as Orange County, NY and much of LI.

The 13Z run's image at 04Z is even better.

In any other season I would have summed up my chances of seeing more snow tonight, other than a coating, at about 10-15% but being as the models have been just horrific with exact placement as to where the precip cut offs are I think its 50/50. I'll be watching tonight to compare the simulated radars vs actual radars and see how far they are off. We all saw what a great job the NAM did earlier this season when it displaced the precip 100 miles off shore even as it was falling over us.

Think a compromise of the HRRR/RUC and NAM/GFS is in order. I would expect accumulating snow (at least a coating) to reach Monmouth and southern Middlesex counties in NJ.

Gotcha. pretty much what I'm expecting as well. I don't think I'm going to change the map I mad yesterday evening...Though maybe the 2-5" is a little further north and doesnt quite die off like my map reflects.

e4939d1ac2aae65e288d394a7983feb1.jpg

That radar is deceiving, because it doesn't show the gradations between light and heavy echoes well for the mix/snow colors.

Surface obs. show precip. is generally only reaching the ground where that radar shows rain - e.g. southern and central Indiana, southern Ohio, SW PA. There are large areas of virga over northern Illinois, Indiana and Ohio, and NW PA.

Much better radar loop (doesn't have snow/mix/rain demarcations):

http://synoptic.envsci.rutgers.edu/site/radar.php?&conus=anim&radar=CONUS

I would put more faith in the high res at this point, the GFS shows precip over the area 6hrs from now. Pardon me but this radar looks good for our area...cutoff looks like Orange County, NY.

post-455-0-65985900-1298302745.gif

I would put more faith in the high res at this point, the GFS shows precip over the area 6hrs from now. Pardon me but this radar looks good for our area...cutoff looks like Orange County, NY.

post-455-0-65985900-1298302745.gif

As the precipitation gets closer to the coast, it's going to shear out to the north as the confluence rips up the northern edge. Also, the confluence is causing the surface low to move southeast from its current location. These details will become more evident as the storm progresses.

The simulated radar images from the HRRR (and all models for that matter) can be deceiving, especially when there is lots of dry air aloft. The 13z HRRR has measurable precip. making it only as far north as about a Flemington-Toms River, NJ line through 4z tonight, while the simulated radar has 25 dbz echoes as far north as Orange County, NY and much of LI.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's very hard to get 40 dbz Virga, and plus the air has moistened up due to today's snow.

Wish we still had one forum for Philly-NYC - kills us Jersey folks who have to read/post in multiple threads, plus we "lost" the input of some really good folks who only post in the Philly threads now.

Anyway, part 1 certainly underperformed a bit, with me getting 1.25" in Metuchen vs. the 3-5" forecast. On the bright side, however, this snowfall pushes me over 60" for the season to 60.5", which is pretty damn sweet. After ending last year at 59" with no snow in March and then being stuck on ~59" this year for the past month (outside of a couple of 1/4" events), I was starting to worry we somehow wouldn't crack 60". Very nice. Tonight's not looking so good for us this far north, though.

Archived