Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
february 20-21st winter storm

earthlight

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you see why I like daytime snow so much-- none of that late night nonsense lol.

If there was one thing I'd change from that late January blast it would be to have it occur partially during the daytime. I mean it sort of did that morning but I mean that late night bonanza of snow.

I posted the hrrr and ruc radar sims last night when the precip looked weak in PA. I said that they had the Great Lakes precip coming over and i got bashed. They did amazing, had the heavy band over SE NY and N jersey early this morning. I was told the storm was weeakening and fizzling out last night right after i posted it. :arrowhead:

The heavy banding idea over SE NY worked out well...I had 7.5" on an uncleared surface about 30 minutes ago, going to log it as an 8" total as measured per official method. Currently 27.3/26 with -SN falling...looks beautiful outside. Here are some pictures of the surprise storm:

Gorgeous beech/maple forest in the silence of a majestic snowfall:

Brings the seasonal total to 65.75", another excellent season after the 68" that fell in Winter 09-10 here in Dobbs Ferry. Westchester finally jackpotted in an event after the best banding in previous storms had affected NNJ and NYC proper.

Wow....just wow

Best surprise event of the year. I went to bed thinking I'd see 2-4 at best, and that the radar looked like crap.

I did check the radar periodically last night and there seemed to be a persistent band over my area where any dynamics with this storm were, the flakes were usually nice dendrites.

I continued to check back on the radar and was again shocked to see a steady firehose of 25-30 DBZ echoes over NNJ, passing Zuckers house, and over into SW CT with a subsidence zone clearly evident in brooklyn and other places to the south.

La epic continues, storm total:

7" Snowman.gifSnowman.gifSnowman.gif

Wow no snow stuck to the ground in Brooklyn, only backyards otherwise in the front there is nooo snow on the pavement

Probably a combination of slightly warmer temps, more urbanity, and lighter echoes overall. Here on the other side of Queens by the Whitestone bridge I have 2.5 to 3 inches on roads and at least 3 on grass.

Wow....just wow

Best surprise event of the year. I went to bed thinking I'd see 2-4 at best, and that the radar looked like crap.

I did check the radar periodically last night and there seemed to be a persistent band over my area where any dynamics with this storm were, the flakes were usually nice dendrites.

I continued to check back on the radar and was again shocked to see a steady firehose of 25-30 DBZ echoes over NNJ, passing Zuckers house, and over into SW CT with a subsidence zone clearly evident in brooklyn and other places to the south.

This was a classic suburbs storm, first one of the season really. It was mostly a nuisance event in NYC with around 3" but the Westchester/Rockland and NNJ 'burbs had 7-8" with great ratios and the nice firehose coming out of PA. Temperatures were never a concern here as the snow stuck to streets immediately, assuaging concerns about earlier warmth impeding accumulations. Dry slot stayed over Manhattan/Brooklyn while we hammered snow in a 25-30dbz band that lasted a few hours.

Great event, classic winter.

There's one reason/time I prefer night time snow over day and that is when temps are marginal like now. Roads woulda been covered had it been night now

I agree Ben, which is why I like it when snow starts around or just after midnight and picks up in intensity throughout the night and in the morning and continues during the day. With snow cover usually laid down at night its easier for it to accumulate during the day. The kind I dont like is when it snows all night and the sun comes out the next morning lol.

Probably a combination of slightly warmer temps, more urbanity, and lighter echoes overall. Here on the other side of Queens by the Whitestone bridge I have 2.5 to 3 inches on roads and at least 3 on grass.

The roads are snowcovered here-- I think those echoes bended slightly south of east. Its snowing pretty hard now.

This was a classic suburbs storm, first one of the season really. It was mostly a nuisance event in NYC with around 3" but the Westchester/Rockland and NNJ 'burbs had 7-8" with great ratios and the nice firehose coming out of PA. Temperatures were never a concern here as the snow stuck to streets immediately, assuaging concerns about earlier warmth impeding accumulations. Dry slot stayed over Manhattan/Brooklyn while we hammered snow in a 25-30dbz band that lasted a few hours.

Great event, classic winter.

Agreed. The only reason it was a suburbs event was the location of the band, not really due to temps or anything. Queens could have easily seen our totals if everything shifted 30 miles south.

Anyways, now up to 68.5 on the year

La Epic continues

William, these wet snows which stick to everything are the most aesthetically pleasing. That looks like a postcard image!

I agree Alex...snow is pretty cool...

Part 2 tonight is still well south on 12z nam...and id say radar trends support that. This is almost a carbon copy to the norlun event in Jan for Holmdel missing to the south with part 1 then missing to the north with part 2

Atlantic City was the jackpot for that one with 8 inches or so I think. Are you thinking similar totals? Or is this weaker?

Part 2 tonight is still well south on 12z nam...and id say radar trends support that. This is almost a carbon copy to the norlun event in Jan for Holmdel missing to the south with part 1 then missing to the north with part 2

I think Part 2 will be some flurries/coatings in Monmouth County to maybe a 4-6" event at ACY. Southern PA looks to do well.

The heavy banding idea over SE NY worked out well...I had 7.5" on an uncleared surface about 30 minutes ago, going to log it as an 8" total as measured per official method. Currently 27.3/26 with -SN falling...looks beautiful outside. Here are some pictures of the surprise storm:

Per official method, that would be 7.5", not 8. The rounding is for snowdepth, not snowfall.

Per official method, that would be 7.5", not 8. The rounding is for snowdepth, not snowfall.

What I meant is that I measured where it hadn't been cleared despite more than 6 hrs passing. The picture is also from about 40 minutes before the storm ended, during which we accumulated about .25" or so. I'm going to go with 8" for convenience's sake.

Archived