• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

I would say to some degree it did with this mess that is starting to wind down here. Truthfully though the euro did great with it. Don't recall it going to extremes like the RGEM etc did with the crazy track to the MN/IA line. It did kinda **** the bed with temps a bit/too cold though which was odd. This alone though does give me hope for my backyard and his/bowme.

ORD, MKE, YBY all look solid IMO. GFS as usual will be wrong/too far south...hence my thoughts that it'll trend north. Sucks for MBY, good for you guys. Maybe a little make up storm for all you that got "mixed on" with the last system.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much snow did you end up with? Hopefully it nudged up in to you area. Was quite comical how the models tried their hardest to miss you and leave me on the southern edge of a few inches. At least we came home to power. I'll take that anytime

I wasn't here for the storm but it look like between 2 and 3" of frozen ball buster on driveway that's going to sat there until the snow plow guy can scrap it up. grass is all covered so that's nice and actually better than I expected.

Played out just like that one storm I was talking about where me and my wife drove north to check out a storm 4 or 5 yrs back on a sunday when it was winding down. drive home today it looked like a lot of northern and central mke cty. got double or more than me and then the next county's north and north of mke had lollies of double digit totals. Just how i pretty much expected it to go down here. Tree outside my door here has some ice glazing but doesn't look like we got much ice as is usually the case.

I got maybe 1-2" of LES. Synoptic snow stayed a couple counties south. Winds gusted to 70 mph though so that was pretty impressive to me.

18z NAM vertabim would be a much bigger event.

:weenie:

edit to say I haven't looked at the NAM to see if its south like the gfs or a northern outlier like euro.

Joking aside the NAM and its northern solutions with the last storm didn't end up turning out too bad did it? I have no clue where this last storm tracked though and what models actually were good with the storm.

I wanted to to say a 50-75 mile strip of 4-8" but that might be tough with the speed and temps. Looks like it will fall at night, not sure if that helps but it can't hurt later in Feb.

:weenie:

Joking aside the NAM and its northern solutions with the last storm didn't end up turning out too bad did it? I have no clue where this last storm tracked though and what models actually were good with the storm.

I wanted to to say a 50-75 mile strip of 4-8" but that might be tough with the speed and temps. Looks like it will fall at night, not sure if that helps but it can't hurt later in Feb.

MKX AFD did mention that with the swift movement of the storm, it would be difficult, but still possible, to get a warning event out of it.

How much snow did you end up with? Hopefully it nudged up in to you area. Was quite comical how the models tried their hardest to miss you and leave me on the southern edge of a few inches. At least we came home to power. I'll take that anytime

I wasn't here for the storm but it look like between 2 and 3" of frozen ball buster on driveway that's going to sat there until the snow plow guy can scrap it up. grass is all covered so that's nice and actually better than I expected.

Played out just like that one storm I was talking about where me and my wife drove north to check out a storm 4 or 5 yrs back on a sunday when it was winding down. drive home today it looked like a lot of northern and central mke cty. got double or more than me and then the next county's north and north of mke had lollies of double digit totals. Just how i pretty much expected it to go down here. Tree outside my door here has some ice glazing but doesn't look like we got much ice as is usually the case.

In Tosa I would say we got about 4 inches so about twice what you got. It was neat watching the radar and seeing the northern part of the county just stay in the white. I94 was the dividing line for quite some time.

Quoted..

Just incase.. :popcorn:

But yeah i would put my money on the euro as it seems to have the hot hand again.

Oh and the euro ensembles are a near match till 90hrs. At 96hrs the ensembles end up farther nw of the OP run. The ensemble mean tracks it to between Buffalo/Toronto and along the US/Canadian border unlike the OP run which takes it more easterly into NW PA/NY/Maine coast. Decent hit for MKE/Chicago/S.MI except maybe far se MI which would have mixing issues.

Ensemble mean QPF..

.50 or better from se/S.IA to where IA/IL/WI meet on up to Moneyman and then east to Muskegon and Claire ene into Huron and Canada. .75+ from KC and along the IA/MO line and then to north side of Chicago near WI border on over to Grand Rapids and east to just north of Port Huron to Toronto/Buffalo. The 1 inch line runs along i94 in S.MI back to IN/IL/Lake MI to Peoria. 1.25+ from along the MI/OH line bending a little wsw to the Lake/Newton line to north side of St. Louis on south.

If the op GFS corrects its feedback issue and still tracks it that far south, then I'll get a little more interested. Until then, it doesn't seem that the track can be given much weight.

The GFS's real problem is the lack of cyclonic "triggering". It becomes a wave that never really developes. Whether caused by feedback problems or poor intialization it is the outlier with the GGEM triggering the cyclone to far south as the other outlier.

I think this storm will either be Chicago to Flint or LAF to TOL/DTW. Just depends on the track.

fwiw..alot of the ggem ensembles are nw of the op...here's a look at hr84

post-252-0-62537200-1298336839.gif

0z runs will be crucial tonight..it will give us insight on the upcoming week..If they fall in line tonight its a good start.

Meh, I wouldn't put that much emphasis on these 0z runs. One caveat to that is if the EURO/UKIE go SE and/or the GFS stands pat while losing the feedback issues. I think that might be significant.

DTX

A SYSTEM TRACK NORTH OF THE OHIO RIVER SEEMS REASONABLE WITHOUT EVEN

MENTIONING THE PROBLEMS THE GFS SOLUTION HAS WITH GRID SCALE

CONVECTIVE CONTAMINATION IN ITS SURFACE PRESSURE SOLUTION. ALL OF

THAT BEING SAID, AND GIVEN THE SYSTEM IS STILL OFF THE WEST COAST,

PREFER ANOTHER CYCLE OR TWO OF DATA GATHERING BEFORE RAMPING UP

TO THE SCENARIO OFFERED BY THE ECMWF, WHICH WOULD MEAN ANOTHER

SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER EVENT FOR SE MICHIGAN.

Ah, I had been waiting for somebody to comment on the "snow cover" factor. It never gets old.

Well it is funny because everything feeds back to the large scale flow. If models initialize incorrectly with the position--it can have a huge cascading effect under certain circumstances. It isn't trivial. Now that we are getting close to spring--these things become a bigger factor than in winter--especially in the 3-5 day range where the models may have multiple storms through the period. If they are wrong on where the snow flies--it will feedback even more to the remaining forecast.

Archived