Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've learned from the best. ;)

Regardless if this turns into a miss for here, a bitter pill to swallow. Alas, thems the breaks I guess.

I'm happy for the miss..

But this justifies how much of a screwzone this area is now.. We've swallowed more than a few bitter pills this year, more like a whole bottle of bitter pills..:axe:

i had pretty much written this one off, and I would still say 10% chance of it getting all the way up here, but wow who knows

What percentage would you give it for MKE? At this point if I lived in Northern Illinois I would be getting pretty giddy, but I might be just a little too far northwest to get anything decent out of this.

Oakland County area forecast: :yikes:

Thursday: Snow and freezing drizzle likely before 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Calm wind becoming north between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Thursday Night: Snow likely after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 27. North northeast wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday: Snow before 1pm. High near 31. Blustery, with a north northwest wind between 13 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

I'm happy for the miss..

But this justifies how much of a screwzone this area is now.. We've swallowed more than a few bitter pills this year, more like a whole bottle of bitter pills..:axe:

I know you have your reasons, but what's the fun of 34 and rain? Eh, the snow would've been gone in 2 days anyway. But you should be happy now...congrats! :lol:

Thursday: Snow and freezing drizzle likely before 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Calm wind becoming north between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Thursday Night: Snow likely after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 27. North northeast wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday: Snow before 1pm. High near 31. Blustery, with a north northwest wind between 13 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

I think they are over estimating the dry air. That really hasn't been a big problem so far with storms this year. Ill be honest I don't trust dtx much.

Feb 5th all over again. :whistle:

Trust me, it pains me having to wish for rain and not snow.. :gun_bandana::snowman:

We'll I blame you for wishing it away (funny how that doesn't work in reverse when you want it to happen) and Hoosier for making the first call of 5-8" after the 12z suite. :P

Ah life in central Indiana, true winter hell. :thumbsup:

And yet it starts out pretty far out to lunch to begin with. It still doesn't help short or mid range forecasts when it's constantly shifting.:arrowhead:

Constantly shifting in a general trend. This is EXACTLY what you want. Euro trended away from its earlier runs and actually went weaker than stronger again. NAM shifts all over the map are not what you want.

Like I said yesterday--guidance won't hit on anything 5 days out. Best you can ask for is slow and steady verifiable trends.

Constantly shifting in a general trend. This is EXACTLY what you want. Euro trended away from its earlier runs and actually went weaker than stronger again. NAM shifts all over the map are not what you want.

Like I said yesterday--guidance won't hit on anything 5 days out. Best you can ask for is slow and steady verifiable trends.

I guess so, but you never know for sure when it's done with its adjustments, and the GFS stayed obstinately south for quite awhile. Only late last night did it really start its small shifts.

LOT

THE FRONT WILL SLOW DOWN AND GET HUNG UP TO THE SOUTH OF THE AREA

TOWARDS THE OHIO RIVER. LOW AND MID LEVEL BAROCLINIC ZONE WILL

TIGHTEN IN PROXIMITY TO THE FRONT AND AHEAD OF DEEPER SFC LOW

PRESSURE DEVELOPING OVER THE TEXAS PANHANDLE IN RESPONSE TO THE

ARRIVAL OF THE UPPER LOW WHICH IS CURRENTLY CUTOFF OFF THE NORTHERN

BAJA. A SHORTWAVE IS FORECAST TO MOVE ALONG THE FRONT BRINGING AN

AREA OF PRECIP ACROSS CENTRAL IL AND IN BUT IS LIKELY TO REMAIN JUST

SOUTH OF THE FORECAST AREA DURING THE DAY THURSDAY. THE TX PANHANDLE

LOW WILL CONTINUE TO DEEPEN AND LIFT NORTHEASTWARD AS THE FORMER

CUTOFF UPPER LOW EJECTS NORTHEASTWARD. GOOD AGREEMENT BETWEEN

OBSERVED TRENDS AND MODEL GUIDANCE IN TAKING THE SFC LOW FROM

NORTHERN ARKANSAS NORTHEASTWARD ALONG AND JUST NORTH OF THE OHIO

RIVER THURSDAY NIGHT WHICH IS SLIGHTLY FURTHER NORTH THAN EARLIER

INDICATED. THIS RESULTS IN SOME CHANGES IN FORECAST THINKING AND THE

INTRODUCTION OF HIGHER CHANCES FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACROSS PARTS OF

THE FORECAST AREA. WARM ADVECTION WILL BECOME BETTER FOCUSED

THURSDAY EVENING AND SPREAD PRECIP NORTHEASTWARD INTO EAST CENTRAL

AND NORTHEAST IL AND NORTHWEST IN. THE UPPER LOW WILL WILL FOLLOW

QUICKLY BEHIND THE SFC LOW. THE SOUTHEASTERN THIRD TO HALF OF THE

AREA WILL SEE THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION WITH THIS EVENT WITH

LIGHTER AMOUNTS EXPECTED ACROSS THE REST OF THE AREA. PRECIP TYPE

MAY BE A MIX OF SNOW...RAIN...AND SLEET TOWARDS PONTIAC AND

RENSSELAER AT ONSET BUT PROFILES ARE EXPECTED TO QUICKLY COOL TO

SUPPORT ALL SNOW. FRONTOGENETIC FORCING BECOMES WELL FOCUSED ACROSS

THE SOUTHEAST FORECAST AREA WITH CROSS SECTIONS SHOWING STRONG

FORCING IN THE SNOW GROWTH LAYER BENEATH NEGATIVE EPV INDICATING

UNSTABLE AIR AND THE POTENTIAL FOR VERY INTENSE SNOWFALL WITH

CONVECTIVE ELEMENTS. CURRENT INDICATIONS SUPPORT BAND OF HEAVY

SNOWFALL RATES IN EXCESS OF ONE INCH PER HOUR SOMEWHERE OVER THE

SOUTHEASTERN PART OF THE AREA BY LATE THURSDAY EVENING. THE SYSTEM

IS VERY PROGRESSIVE AND WILL EXIT FRIDAY MORNING. HAVE ISSUED A

WINTER STORM WATCH WITH THE EXPECTATION OF AREAS IN THE WATCH SEEING

6 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW. CONVECTIVE POTENTIAL ADDS CONFIDENCE IN

THIS OCCURRING BUT MAY LIMIT THE OVERALL COVERAGE OF AMOUNTS THIS

HIGH. WILL NEED TO KEEP WATCHING AND TRY TO ADD DETAIL TO AMOUNT

FORECAST. ADVISORY LEVEL SNOW AMOUNTS ARE APPEARING MORE LIKELY JUST

NORTH OF THE WATCH OR ROUGHLY UP TO AROUND INTERSTATE 88 WITH

LIGHTER ACCUMULATION NORTH. NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS GUSTING TO

AROUND 25 MPH WILL BRING SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

CONDITIONS WILL QUICKLY IMPROVE BY MIDDAY FRIDAY. WILL ALSO NEED TO

KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR ADDITIONAL SHIFTS IN LOW TRACK WITH MAIN UPPER

LOW NOW COMING ONSHORE THIS AFTERNOON. UPPER FLOW FLATTENS INTO

SATURDAY BUT A MID LEVEL WAVE WILL BRING CHANCES FOR ADDITIONAL

LIGHT SNOW FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY.

100% agree. Makes the model more reliably usable for forecast purposes.

Archived