• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

Not looking too good for northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan, and I just can't understand why. Looks like a perfect track, but for some reason, precip. starts as rain then just shuts off as colder air arrives. I have no idea how it's going to rain in February with a low tracking hundreds of miles to the south. And I don't see how a low could track along the Ohio River and not produce any substantial precip. north of Findlay.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z NAM QPF

*all snow locations...

DET (Detroit City Airport) - 0.40", along with an additional 0.06" from tonight/Thursday's cold front

DTW (Detroit Metro Airport) - 0.44", with an additional 0.03" from tonight's/Thursday's cold front.

ORD (Chicago O'Hare Airport) - 0.32", with an additional 0.08" from tonight's/Thursday's cold front

MDW (Chicago Midway Airport) - 0.38", with an additional 0.05" from tonight's/Thursday's cold front.

TOL - 0.42", with an additional 0.04" from tonight's/Thursday's cold front

LAF - 1.07", with an additional 0.14" from tonight's/Thursday's cold front

FWA - 0.79" (it does get up to 0.1*F at one level early on), with an additional 0.16" from tonight's/Thursday's cold front

DVN - 0.19", with an additional 0.04" from tonight's/Thursday's cold front

SPI - 1.09", with an additional 0.06" from tonight's/Thursday's cold front

Well, those are obviously wrong. There's no way DTW, which is some 50 miles north of TOL, gets more precip. than TOL with a low following that track.

Well, those are obviously wrong. There's no way DTW, which is some 50 miles north of TOL, gets more precip. than TOL with a low following that track.

That is the raw data output from the NAM, so they're 100% correct and I didn't make these numbers up.

Apparently a band of slightly heavier snow sets up north of Toledo (narrow blue line through Southern Michigan in below image). and it apparently in a weakened state expands to DTW...

nam_p60_060m.gif

Not looking too good for northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan, and I just can't understand why. Looks like a perfect track, but for some reason, precip. starts as rain then just shuts off as colder air arrives. I have no idea how it's going to rain in February with a low tracking hundreds of miles to the south. And I don't see how a low could track along the Ohio River and not produce any substantial precip. north of Findlay.

may want to brush up on your map reading skills...i think you'll see some snow near toledo...

Curious where this thing would have tracked if it wasnt for that northern energy. While it's supplying the colder air for this storm once it passes through the great lakes, it's also bringing the warm air north ahead of the main show. Just thinking what ifs.

Probably would have been another MSP special with the -PNA. To some extent the setup is similar to the last storm. These shortwaves parking over Southern Ontario near Hudson Bay has been saving our butts.

Probably would have been another MSP special with the -PNA. To some extent the setup is similar to the last storm. These shortwaves parking over Southern Ontario near Hudson Bay has been saving our butts.

I don't think it would go that west, but yea theres a pretty good chance it would have been rain here. The NAO is slowly rising

Compare 6z at 48 with 12z at 42. Low is the exact same strength and maybe actually a touch further east at 12z. The big difference is that like the NAM the upper levels look a bit better which allows the deformation zone snows to spread further north.

I like to compare the 0z with the 12z runs and the 06z runs with the 18z runs. It's just my personal preference.

The GFS looks to be suffering from convective feedback. There should be a deformation zone extending across N OH / Lake Erie into NW Ohio/ SE Michigan and NE Indiana. But it never develops because it keeps creating spurious blobs of convection right along the low track, which are robbing all of the moisture from moving north.

12z GFS is slower, stronger, and obviously further northwest a good amount from the 0z run.

A good event for SPI with decent snow getting up to around I-80.

Could someone explain to me the logic of not comparing the most recent run of a model with its second most recent run? This isn't sarcasm. Serious question.

12z GFS is slower, stronger, and obviously further northwest a good amount from the 0z run.

A good event for SPI with decent snow getting up to around I-80.

Looks like a Central Illinois,Northern Indiana,Special...congrats to those guys. Here's hoping it locks in for them...54 inches in Chi town is enough for one year :clap:

Still not buying the GFS track. When's the last time you saw a low go through or up the apps. Not saying it's not possible but unlikely. Must be tough to me a met because while you use your instincts and look at the overall setup, you need some help from the models

The low isn't going up the apps. Its moving SW to NE.

Could someone explain to me the logic of not comparing the most recent run of a model with its second most recent run? This isn't sarcasm. Serious question.

I think Baro explain months ago why this rumor of the off runs not being as good is untrue. I actually just looked at the 12z run really fast and compared it to the 0z run. Usually I would compare it to the 6z as well, better that way to look at trends.

I think Baro explain months ago why this rumor of the off runs not being as good is untrue. I actually just looked at the 12z run really fast and compared it to the 0z run. Usually I would compare it to the 6z as well, better that way to look at trends.

Yeah, I think that's the only way you could justify it. If you believed the intermediate runs (6/18z) were somehow substandard.

Archived