BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it is me but i question the run from 42hrs on.

Note the surface features vs everything else.

http://www.nco.ncep....0/fp1_042.shtml

http://www.nco.ncep....0/fp0_042.shtml

I just don't see how it ends up staying that far south with the set up that model shows. Especially with the high just off the eastcoast. That is me though..

Exactly, that's why I was sure it would come further north. In any event, these storms coming out of the baja California/Mexico region has never produced anything less than model mayhem for us. I certainly won't throw in the towel until Thursday. At least then the solution they show will be reasonable since all the data will be available.

So everyone on this board (except the Minnesota members) is still in the game. This one has the potential to produce pleasant surprises.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/00/fp1_042.shtml

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/00/fp0_042.shtml

I just don't see how it ends up staying that far south with the set up that model shows. Especially with the high just off the eastcoast. That is me though..

In short i don't recall many systems tracking across the S.OV to off the mid Atlantic coast with that set up especially with the high to the east like that.

Well...i have no room to complain about missing one of the 3 storms in this parade. Sunday's Thundersnow is still very fresh in my memory. I don't throw towels..I just move on

After the awesome busts of Feb 5th and Feb 20th, no one in Detroit should be able to complain the rest of the winter lol. That said, absolutely ZERO reason to move on from this storm yet, we are definitely still in the game.

Exactly, that's why I was sure it would come further north. In any event, these storms coming out of the baja California/Mexico region has never produced anything less than model mayhem for us. I certainly won't throw in the towel until Thursday. At least then the solution they show will be reasonable since all the data will be available.

So everyone on this board (except the Minnesota members) is still in the game. This one has the potential to produce pleasant surprises.

I wont go that far yet as to who is in and who is out. I'll feel alot better once this thing is onshore though. It could go so far south that it misses everything to the north and thus forced to take the low route across the south. Have seen a couple do that this winter but they had a better supply of cold for the south as well and thus this would not be a big snow producer like those were. That high off the eastcoast though says this thing cuts to some degree no matter where it comes into Texas etc.

http://www.nco.ncep....0/fp1_042.shtml

http://www.nco.ncep....0/fp0_042.shtml

Just evaluating the NAM it seems to be the orientation of the wave wrt the low level thermal fields. The flat heights ahead of the wave owing to the elongated frontal zone and WAA oriented SSW-NNE in combo with convection firing along the developing cold front/surface low results in thunderstorms that essentially propagate along the elongated nearly E-W frontal zone as the upper level wind fields "steer" convection nearly due E. The positive tilt/east moving convection combo result in strong surface pressure falls along the front and a resultant E-NE tracking low. It isn't unrealistic although whenever evaluating the NAM one needs to determine if it is developing spurious unrealistic convective blobs. That is always a possibility with the non-hydro NAM.

Just evaluating the NAM it seems to be the orientation of the wave wrt the low level thermal fields. The flat heights ahead of the wave owing to the elongated frontal zone and WAA oriented SSW-NNE in combo with convection firing along the developing cold front/surface low results in thunderstorms that essentially propagate along the elongated nearly E-W frontal zone as the upper level wind fields "steer" convection nearly due E. The positive tilt/east moving convection combo result in strong surface pressure falls along the front and a resultant E-NE tracking low. It isn't unrealistic although whenever evaluating the NAM one needs to determine if it is developing spurious unrealistic convective blobs. That is always a possibility with the non-hydro NAM.

First check out the 200 and 300mb wind at 36hrs.

Then this.

post-90-0-92959400-1298430778.gif

post-90-0-10661000-1298430802.gif

So not sure how it has a front running from west to east either. That above atleast does not suggest it. Somehow or another though it manages to do just that even though the set up says no. Plus there is usually a block in se Canada and not a opening as that shows at 42hrs. Why again i say the model is suffering from convective feedback issues as the model takes the system close to where we see the QPF bomb at 42hrs. No QPF bomb there and i highly suspect the model would have a different outcome and thus farther to the nw. Thats me.

First check out the 200 and 300mb wind at 36hrs.

Then this.

post-90-0-92959400-1298430778.gif

post-90-0-10661000-1298430802.gif

So not sure how it has a front running from west to east either. That above atleast does not suggest it. Somehow or another though it manages to do just that even though the set up says no. Plus there is usually a block in se Canada and not a opening as that shows at 42hrs. Why again i say the model is suffering from convective feedback issues as the model takes the system close to where we see the QPF bomb at 42hrs. No QPF bomb there and i highly suspect the model would have a different outcome and thus farther to the nw. Thats me.

Well the overall height field tilt is no help and is also why the advection patterns are not nearly as N-S oriented. There could very well be some convective "feedback"--but this forecast is extra tricky since we are seemingly at the "inflection point" of where the wave either weakens with time or amplifies with time depending on small initial condition differences. For now I will stick with a track in between GFS/Euro nudged closer to the Euro and ignore the NAM--not to mention the NAM has no verifiable trend. This is a definite case of the NAM being generally worthless for the time being except to evaluate convective potential--and even then it is iffy with its large run by run changes.

Well the overall height field tilt is no help and is also why the advection patterns are not nearly as N-S oriented. There could very well be some convective "feedback"--but this forecast is extra tricky since we are seemingly at the "inflection point" of where the wave either weakens with time or amplifies with time depending on small initial condition differences. For now I will stick with a track in between GFS/Euro nudged closer to the Euro and ignore the NAM--not to mention the NAM has no verifiable trend. This is a definite case of the NAM being generally worthless for the time being except to evaluate convective potential--and even then it is iffy with its large run by run changes.

Agreed. As said i'll feel alot better once it is onshore. Should as well give us time to see how the Canadian system behaves. It is always fun to discuss this stuff though no matter how far off something seems or appears to be. Plus always the chance as well it will help others.

After the awesome busts of Feb 5th and Feb 20th, no one in Detroit should be able to complain the rest of the winter lol. That said, absolutely ZERO reason to move on from this storm yet, we are definitely still in the game.

Agreed....as pointed out in the DTX AFD these systems tend to trend NW in time....yes remote sensing data is god for NWP and it helps, it will be interesting to see if any changes occur in track once the upper system gets sampled.....I KNOW....I KNOW....:deadhorse:....:weight_lift:

Agreed....as pointed out in the DTX AFD these systems tend to trend NW in time....yes remote sensing data is god for NWP and it helps, it will be interesting to see if any changes occur in track once the upper system gets sampled.....I KNOW....I KNOW....:deadhorse:....:weight_lift:

The one way it stays south is if it remains a disorganized POS. Thus that data will be crucial. I still have a hard time buying into a track directly into a high along the eastcoast even as weak as the model has it. Guess we will see.

Archived