BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our system in question should get some sampling with tonight's runs.

This one may not get a full sampling until as late as 12z Thursday if it tracks into Mexico. So we won't have a sure idea on the track until the day of the storm. This is probably why IWX/GRR/DTX/HPC aren't downplaying the possibility of a NW trender despite model trends.

Models did the same thing to a lesser extent with the February 4th-6th storm.

vadv.gif?1298425268845

Adam Stiles of City says it's a near miss, but he's keeping a close eye on it as he said any shift west will bring us into the snow shield.

I guess I should start watching Adam Stiles then, because that's what a good met should do. Convey uncertainty. If the 18z GFS shows a snowstorm, then Farnell's gung-ho for a snowstorm on the 6 o'clock broadcast. 0z GFS comes in bone dry, snowstorm's out of his 11 o'clock forecast. No conveyance of uncertainty. GFS = gospel truth to that abortion of a "meteorologist".

Any updates?

The potential is there but will everything come together.

Depends on where you are. With the positive tilt of the ejecting S/W--it will be difficult for a large and well developed CCB/defo band to develop which will limit the development of precip along the northern edge of the storm--regardless of track.

Depends on where you are. With the positive tilt of the ejecting S/W--it will be difficult for a large and well developed CCB/defo band to develop which will limit the development of precip along the northern edge of the storm--regardless of track.

Is it set in stone that it will be positively tilted? I thought some of the solutions were showing it negatively tilted.

Too bad it wont go negative..With a track like we have it could be a big one.

Is it set in stone that it will be positively tilted? I thought some of the solutions were showing it negatively tilted.

I wouldn't say it is set in stone but the guidance has been pretty clearly showing a positive tilt wave until this reaches the EC where it merges with the main belt of westerlies and undergoes stronger development along the Gulf Stream. I would say highly likely as it would be difficult to take on a negative tilt in this config without a polar influence.

I wouldn't say it is set in stone but the guidance has been pretty clearly showing a positive tilt wave until this reaches the EC where it merges with the main belt of westerlies and undergoes stronger development along the Gulf Stream. I would say highly likely as it would be difficult to take on a negative tilt in this config without a polar influence.

Maybe it is me but i question the run from 42hrs on.

Note the surface features vs everything else.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/00/fp1_042.shtml

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/00/fp0_042.shtml

I just don't see how it ends up staying that far south with the set up that model shows. Especially with the high just off the eastcoast. That is me though..

Archived