Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

Des Moines...Thinking GFS for reasons:

HE STRONG SURFACE HIGH BUILDING IN AHEAD OF

THIS SYSTEM WOULD SUGGEST A MORE SOUTHERLY LOW TRACK. SECOND...THE

CIPS/SLU WINTER WEATHER ANALOGS SHOW THE MOST HIGHLY-CORRELATED PAST

WINTER WEATHER EVENTS FALL IN LINE MORE WITH THE GFS THAN THE NAM OR

ECMWF SOLUTIONS. FINALLY...THE NAEFS TOTAL QPF ACCUMULATION TRENDS

ALSO SUPPORT THE MORE SOUTHERLY GFS TRACK.

Would not surprise me..

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see DTX talk about an even further NW track than what the EURO/UKIE show, as that was my first guess. I suppose the one thing that might support a more suppressed solution is that northern stream kicker dropping into the plains towards the end of the NAM run which keeps the flow deamplified/progressive.

Southern streams s/w that will spawn our storm is still well off shore. If the models aren't depicting its strength correctly due to poor sampling, that could definitely trend it further NW. Although, it's in the Pacific off the coast of Baja California. When was the last time we had a major snow producer that came on shore that far south?

FWIW,depending on which method you use (Kuchera, 10:1 ratio, 11:1 ratio, Max-T Profile, Cobb) 00z NAM only showed 3-5" for DET through 84hr, though there's still more snow beyond 84hr. Its temperature profiles were quite marginal early on before improving over time.

For MDW it showed 6-8" on cobb and the Kuchera method showed 4-6" (maybe an little precipitation beyond 84hr).

So even if someone does manage to get a significant snow event out of this (assuming the storm's precipitation isn't all in the warm sector), it could be another nail biter.

I should note though, usually when the UKMET is on the stronger/NW end of the consensus there's a fari chance the storm (from the SW) ends up trending NW. So that is one bright spot.

Though I would feel better if the GGEM had its back too, because then the NW trend would be a lock.

Is there any particular reason for that? Is the UKMET normally on the SE side of guidance?

Per Skilling....

The GFS and other models are sending the system on southerly track bypassing the area. But GFS and other models have a southward bias on track forecasts early in such a storm's development (remember the Blizzard of 2011 projections several weeks ago which did the same thing?). I've found when you get a storm-supportive jet stream max wind configuration like the one depicted on an earlier post here-where 2 properly positioned wind maxes contribute to the lift which makes a storm--it's usually prudent to question sending the storm center at the surface as far south as the GFS model is. It's early yet and should be interesting to see how this works out.

Per Skilling....

The GFS and other models are sending the system on southerly track bypassing the area. But GFS and other models have a southward bias on track forecasts early in such a storm's development (remember the Blizzard of 2011 projections several weeks ago which did the same thing?). I've found when you get a storm-supportive jet stream max wind configuration like the one depicted on an earlier post here-where 2 properly positioned wind maxes contribute to the lift which makes a storm--it's usually prudent to question sending the storm center at the surface as far south as the GFS model is. It's early yet and should be interesting to see how this works out.

I like, but am not surprised in the least, regarding his optimism.

No doubt. If the Euro continues trending SE, I'll give the GFS and GEM their due, despite logic telling me to ignore them.

There's a tendency to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The GFS is still suffering for feedback issues on the 12z run, but that shouldn't cause us to completely discount a SE solution if other factors dictate it may have merit.

There's a tendency to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The GFS is still suffering for feedback issues on the 12z run, but that shouldn't cause us to completely discount a SE solution if other factors dictate it may have merit.

Yes. If the Euro scores a coup once again, though, I think it's about time to only look at the Euro in future storms.:)

Archived