BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

euro can't even get me some severe right.. that just **** the bed for storm 2 after looking good early.

That is because this run has it well closed off farther east. 12z run opened it up as the new low got going in Texas and allowed it to follow the flow ( so to speak ) ne and bomb as it did so. Once you remove a system from the main flow/steering ( a cutoff ) it can go anywhere. Yes this is a cheapened explanation again.

That is because this run has it well closed off farther east. 12z run opened it up as the new low got going in Texas and allowed it to follow the flow ( so to speak ) ne and bomb as it did so. Once you remove a system from the main flow/steering ( a cutoff ) it can go anywhere. Yes this is a cheapened explanation again.

No that makes sense. This baby has some serious potential if its realized I bet.. Whether it all comes together who knows. Probably don't want it all to come together east of the Mississippi if you like snow anyways. This is going to be a monster I just have that feeling.. Haven't felt like this over any storm the last two winters even the groundhogs day blizzard. No more OT i promise..

Big torch incoming from west on euro at the end.. Little different than the arctic air to the west at 12z. Gotta love models.

Yep. That is as ugly of a pattern one can get if you like winter weather anywhere in the lower 48.

It is only one run and way out so i would not sweat it yet.

Yep. That is as ugly of a pattern one can get if you like winter weather anywhere in the lower 48.

It is only one run and way out so i would not sweat it yet.

No doubt and I bet its total BS.

This storm here kinna reminds of the groundhogs day storm up here.. race of the cold air to the north and this storm just doesn't have the juice atm to get it done let alone all the time I had to track it and time for the NW trend. This one so so feels like the toronto's gang long deserved big one.

This is true, I am hoping beyond hope that we can crack 40" this month, which I believe we are about 12" away.

This is just awesome. DTW is at 27" on the month, if we can get 11.5" more it would be the snowiest Feb and snowiest month period of all-time. If we can get any more than 1.5" it will be the 2nd snowiest February, and if we get 8" more it would be the 2nd snowiest month of all time.

NEXT WINTER STORM TAKING AIM ON SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN FOR THE THURSDAY

NIGHT-FRIDAY TIME FRAME.

LATEST WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS TIGHT/COMPACT UPPER WAVE OFF THE

CALIFORNIA COAST WHICH IS ONE OF THE KEY PLAYERS. THIS PV ANOMALY

WILL BE DROPPING AWFULLY FAR TO THE SOUTH DURING THE NEXT 24 HRS BEFORE

MAKING THE EAST/NORTHEAST TURN THROUGH BAJA CALIFORNIA. WITH THE

SYSTEM TAPPING GULF MOISTURE AS IT COMES OUT OF THE SOUTHERN

PLAINS...CONVECTION/CONVECTIVE SCHEMES OF INDIVIDUAL MODELS LOOKS

TO BE COMING INTO PLAY...AND FOR THAT REASON...HAVE DISREGARDED

THE WEAKER SOLUTION OF THE GFS WHICH KICKS IN THE CONVECTION OVER

THE OHIO RIVER BY 6Z FRIDAY (SEE 850-700 MB PVU) AND DOES NOT

ALLOW THE LOW TO DEEPEN. 00Z UKMET/NAM AND PERSISTENT EUROPEAN

SOLUTION GIVES ONE INCREASING CONFIDENCE SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN WILL

RECEIVE A DIRECT IMPACT FROM THE DEEPENING LOW PRESSURE

SYSTEM...AND HAVE UPPED POPS TO LIKELY THURSDAY NIGHT/FRIDAY.

STILL WILL NEED NORTHERN STREAM TROUGH TO PUSH THROUGH THE

NORTHERN GREAT LAKES WEDNESDAY NIGHT/THURSDAY MORNING...ALLOWING

WEAK SURFACE COLD FRONT TO MOVE THROUGH DURING THE DAY OR WASH OUT

OVER THE AREA. WITH LARGE SCALE LIFT FROM APPROACHING SOUTHERN

WAVE AND MARGINALLY COLD AIRMASS ESTABLISHED OR BLEEDING IN...THE

CHANCES FOR SNOW LOOK PRETTY GOOD FOR SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN...WITH

NAM INDICATING 850 MB MIXING RATIOS OF 3-4 G/KG. THE CONCERN IS

THE LOW WILL WRAP UP TOO FAST AND TRACK EVEN FARTHER WEST...WHICH

WOULD SPELL MORE OF A MIXED BAG. BUT...AT THIS POINT...PLANNING ON

HIGHLIGHTING THE POTENTIAL FOR SNOWFALL IN EXCESS OF 4 INCHES IN

THE HWO.

Geez, yet another winter storm to track. I'm still pretty much burned out from this last storm.

Hopefully we can get a more powdery snow or a less windier storm this time.

It wont be powderier, and powder is my favorite...but who cares really, snow is snow! In the past 2 weeks we went from 16" on the ground to nothing back up to 10" and if the euro is right we are going WAY over a foot again by Friday :thumbsup:

It wont be powderier, and powder is my favorite...but who cares really, snow is snow! In the past 2 weeks we went from 16" on the ground to nothing back up to 10" and if the euro is right we are going WAY over a foot again by Friday :thumbsup:

LOL, Only if the Euro does not shift S/E then we are KINDA locked.

Pretty amazing actually that DTX has a shot at 40"+ in one month. I dont think its happened since jan 99' I know in northern Oakland we had over 40"

Pretty amazing actually that DTX has a shot at 40"+ in one month. I dont think its happened since jan 99' I know in northern Oakland we had over 40"

Detroit has never officially had 40" in a calendar month (they have in 30-day periods a few times).

Snowiest months:

1.) 38.4” (February 1908)

2.) 34.9” (December 1974)

3.) 30.2” (March 1900)

4.) 29.6” (January 1978)

5.) 28.5” (February 1881)

6.) 28.0” (February 1900)

7.) 28.0” (February 1926)

8.) 27.4” (December 1929)

9.) 27.3” (January 1999)

10.) 27.0” (February 2010 and February 2011 so far)

Interesting to read that several afd's are thinking it may wrap up and head further west while the models slowly trend se. Who knows all of them besides the euro seem to be having feedback issues. Not sure how u can tell when a model has issues but until the euro budges I'm not worried. It is interesting the drop off of precip in the cold part. 1.3 in Toledo while. 30 at grr.

Yes but I compare 12z to 0z.

Des Moines...Thinking GFS for reasons:

HE STRONG SURFACE HIGH BUILDING IN AHEAD OF

THIS SYSTEM WOULD SUGGEST A MORE SOUTHERLY LOW TRACK. SECOND...THE

CIPS/SLU WINTER WEATHER ANALOGS SHOW THE MOST HIGHLY-CORRELATED PAST

WINTER WEATHER EVENTS FALL IN LINE MORE WITH THE GFS THAN THE NAM OR

ECMWF SOLUTIONS. FINALLY...THE NAEFS TOTAL QPF ACCUMULATION TRENDS

ALSO SUPPORT THE MORE SOUTHERLY GFS TRACK.

Archived