BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for explaining and boy do I miss the lows cutting to Wisconsin unlike most of you. Is it a positive AO and NAO to get this Wisconsin cutter?

Yes that is preferred along with a -PNA/+EPO. Can still get them with some +PNA ridging as well. In short you want ridging in the east when the low pops out of CO and no blocking at all to the north/northeast in southern/se Canada. Always exceptions ofcourse such as we just saw. This changes either way as we head into Spring and or fall as the cold etc retreats towards the north.

Well the discussion regarding the GFS was with the old "qpf bombs" the 40 km GFS had. In that regard--it is way better than previous. As for the storm--I do personally believe it will be farther N than the current GFS--my points through the nite have mainly been to debunk old myths which have long since passedsmile.gif Kinda like the old "Euro always leaves energy in the SW" bias that is brought up far too often. I don't deny teleconnection patterns, bias, or anything else as they are just another piece of the puzzle.

Yeah i hear you and fully agree with you as well. They/GFS etc have gotten better. :)

Fair enough, but I think we already know the outcome. Stranger things have happened though.

Id' normally start getting concerned about ice with some of these tracks but it doesn't look like there's much of a transition zone. It's mostly rain or snow as it's being shown right now.

Id' normally start getting concerned about ice with some of these tracks but it doesn't look like there's much of a transition zone. It's mostly rain or snow as it's being shown right now.

Could one of those that the track works, but the snow/rain line is displaced father NW than usual. Euro has been beating that drum.

I noticed the SREF ptype maps don't show a ton of PL/ZR with this storm, which makes sense considering the lack of antecedent arctic ridging. Also means the RA/SN line is probably going to be displaced further NW than it otherwise may have been.

Could one of those that the track works, but the snow/rain line is displaced father NW than usual. Euro has been beating that drum.

Sounds good.

Just another image from the St. Louis WRF, but it shows the potential of this baroclinic zone. Look at the contrast in temps at 850mb. 8C near St. Louis, and quickly drops to -4C near the QC...

850_78.png

Yeah and look at the flow over Northern Michigan, cold air would certainly be coming as it moved ENE.

I have only heard of HM's clownery from others. He sounds like an awful met though. JB had his moments but I won'y deny his ability.

I guess I don't really pay attention to any of them, I have heard of them but that is it. If HM is as bad as they say then how can he even have a job?

Archived