Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2/20 -2/22 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question.

I just checked Mount Holly's updated forecast for Somerville, and they're calling for all rain Sunday night into Monday morning. Yet Upton is calling for snow and 1 to 3 inches for Newark. What a difference between the forecast offices, wow. How does Mount Holly believe that it will be all rain? Not even a mention of a mix in their forecast.

I should have added the 18Z NAM normally is warmer/north/west as we saw on this run...I'd expect the 00Z NAM wil come south from 18z and the GFS will come north from its 18z run.

Thanks, SG-- if we averaged out the 18z NAM and GFS, where would the mean of the two runs leave us?

You are probably all snow according to soundings, but it gets a little warm above 850, getting to 0.0 so you could get some sleet mixed in, but it looks like mostly snow on this run. The surface temps are also a little above freezing towards the end of the main precipitation.

KJFK about 4 miles from here, Thanks! :)

anyone know where i can find the seasonal snowfall total and record for bdr.. i lost the site..

The Bridgeport data at Sikorsky Airport is not representative of the snowfall climatology of the South Shore of western CT, IMO. They have had a lot of measurement problems over the years and I would argue that the 27 to 28 inch annual average is a good 6 to 8 inches short of reality...

You are probably all snow according to soundings, but it gets a little warm above 850, getting to 0.0 so you could get some sleet mixed in, but it looks like mostly snow on this run. The surface temps are also a little above freezing towards the end of the main precipitation.

Thanks-- lets see if this is a trend or a 6z/18z blip.

The Bridgeport data at Sikorsky Airport is not representative of the snowfall climatology of the South Shore of western CT, IMO. They have had a lot of measurement problems over the years and I would argue that the 27 to 28 inch annual average is a good 6 to 8 inches short of reality...

Isnt that location basically in the middle of the sound? I would argue that they need to move away from recording "climatology" in such locations which arent representative of their local area and also need to get away from their airport fetish (much the same with JFK which is horrendous in measuring snowfall.)

Isnt that location basically in the middle of the sound? I would argue that they need to move away from recording "climatology" in such locations which arent representative of their local area and also need to get away from their airport fetish (much the same with JFK which is horrendous in measuring snowfall.)

It juts out just a bit in a little peninsula...it is not in the middle of the Sound...why would you think for a moment that there would be an airport in the middle of Long Island Sound?

It juts out just a bit in a little peninsula...it is not in the middle of the Sound...

Yes, but it has water on three sides I think. The "middle of the sound" comment was the use of artistic license on my part to show how that location isnt representative of SW CT. This is where we need to raise funds to get official totals measured in more region-appropriate locations lol. I agree that the snowfall totals are suspect, as they are with JFK, I just wish we could create a bigger COOP network. There arent any in my area (not that Im aware of) and I dont know of any in SW CT.

Yes, but it has water on three sides I think. This is where we need to raise funds to get official totals measured in more region-appropriate locations lol. I agree that the snowfall totals are suspect, as they are with JFK, I just wish we could create a bigger COOP network. There arent any in my area (not that Im aware of) and I dont know of any in SW CT.

I can get to that airport in 15 minutes, and I have had over 70 inches. What are they reporting? My guess would be like 30, they are usually REALLY conservative (and really wrong).

Well, they said they were having ongoing computer problems earlier this week, so I don't know. There is definitely a problem somewhere along the way with their computers.

Computer is not stuck, there seems to be an issue getting products on the web.

Look at status page for model runs, 18Z is complete!

http://www.nco.ncep....rodstat/#TARGET

I can get to that airport in 15 minutes, and I have had over 70 inches. What are they reporting? My guess would be like 30, they are usually REALLY conservative (and really wrong).

Bridgeport has measured 56.4" this winter..which, for their location, is probably fairly accurate. Their measurements have been reasonably good the last 5 years or so. But the climate record goes back decades, and that was not the case during the 20th century.

i agree also it is right on the water pretty much

Bridgeport has measured 56.4" this winter..which, for their location, is probably fairly accurate. Their measurements have been reasonably good the last 5 years or so. But the climate record goes back decades, and that was not the case during the 20th century.

42 inches in January must've been a record for them.

i agree also it is right on the water pretty much

For example, some long term records at New Haven show a 37" annual average...and I'd argue average snowfall is pretty similar in those towns.

Check carefully some of the observers stats though William. I have noticed over the last few years there are some perfect 10:1 ratios on snow measurement, which leads me to believe the observer is simply mailing it in......

Check carefully some of the observers stats though William. I have noticed over the last few years there are some perfect 10:1 ratios on snow measurement, which leads me to believe the observer is simply mailing it in......

heh and two months with exact integer snowfalls-- big red flags right there.

The JFK 1/26-27 measurement was also 10:1

They may be "mailing it in"...but at least they are now in the ballpark...and huge errors seem to be a thing of the past.

Archived