• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion part 2

Hoosier

I didn't want to clog up the storm thread, but I noticed that Chicagowx has given up on winter for LAF. That prompted me to check MBY records for the past few years, since our climo is about the same. This what has fallen after Feb 18th (2007-2010):

Feb Mar Apr

2007 T, 0.8, 3.0, = 3.8

2008 8.7, 7.9, 0.0, = 16.6

2009 4.0, T, 2.0, = 6.0

2010 3.0, 0.0, 0.0, = 3.0

So, our 2008 anomaly shows that major snows are possible after this date for this region. However, the probabilities drop off dramatically. I can understand why those in North Central IN can be ready to call it a year. March 1st is my drop dead date. After that point, I'm ready for severe action to take over.

Like I said in the other thread, I don't think accumulating snow is done for LAF, but the pace has really slowed down and I suspect we have very few snow days left.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't want to clog up the storm thread, but I noticed that Chicagowx has given up on winter for LAF. That prompted me to check MBY records for the past few years, since our climo is about the same. This what has fallen after Feb 18th (2007-2010):

Feb Mar Apr

2007 T, 0.8, 3.0, = 3.8

2008 8.7, 7.9, 0.0, = 16.6

2009 4.0, T, 2.0, = 6.0

2010 3.0, 0.0, 0.0, = 3.0

So, our 2008 anomaly shows that major snows are possible after this date for this region. However, the probabilities drop off dramatically. I can understand why those in North Central IN can be ready to call it a year. March 1st is my drop dead date. After that point, I'm ready for severe action to take over.

Well I mostly gave up due to the future pattern, which looks rather bleak for central Indiana. That being said, March snow is typical for LAF...although large quantities are few and far between. Of course, you could make a case we're overdue for a big March snowstorm. I really wanted to get to 50" for the season, but I think the chance of that happening is very very slim. But as usual, you never know with mother nature.

Well I mostly gave up due to the future pattern, which looks rather bleak for central Indiana. That being said, March snow is typical for LAF...although large quantities are few and far between. Of course, you could make a case we're overdue for a big March snowstorm. I really wanted to get to 50" for the season, but I think the chance of that happening is very very slim. But as usual, you never know with mother nature.

I'm still keeping an eye on that wave for Monday, although it's looking bleak at this point.

I gave up on that one already. Hate relying on 2 part systems for snow. Most likely to see snow with it would be I-70 and south through IN and OH.

It might not and probably won't work out, but I can imagine the models not resolving it properly. Really wouldn't take huge changes overall.

I'm actually a bit disgusted...We lost over a foot of snow just yesterday..in ONE day. Neighborhoods and wooded areas still have several inches of slush crap and all open areas along the highways and main roads are bare. Here's hoping all the ugly grass and mud gets covered with a fresh layering of white for a few more weeks. I hope the warmanistas enjoyed their thaw. I called my wife that this week when she was rejoicing about the meltdown and she laughed out loud and said "What did you call me?" I forgot that most of the rest of the world doesn't speak the language of weather boards....

I'm actually a bit disgusted...We lost over a foot of snow just yesterday..in ONE day. Neighborhoods and wooded areas still have several inches of slush crap and all open areas along the highways and main roads are bare. Here's hoping all the ugly grass and mud gets covered with a fresh layering of white for a few more weeks. I hope the warmanistas enjoyed their thaw. I called my wife that this week when she was rejoicing about the meltdown and she laughed out loud and said "What did you call me?" I forgot that most of the rest of the world doesn't speak the language of weather boards....

:lol:

Weather speak makes into the real world. :thumbsup:

Flood warning for the Wabash River here. Only minor flooding is expected.

It shouldn't be too bad. Between Roush, Salamonie, and Mississinewa dams, they are dumping about 5,000 cfs into the Wabash. I've seen them release as much as 9,000-10,000. I don't know how much the Tippy River is dumping though.

you made out better than here. a fully bare yard (other than piles) for the first time since Jan 4th....so basically bare ground since beginning of December has been limited to Jan 1-4 & Feb 18-?

Still 46 here. :axe: I was thinking temps would be in the 30s by the end of the day, but the strong Feb sun plays me for the fool again.

As to that question mark, it looks like a real active pattern setting up over the next week +. Even WCS for you you'll probably end up with at least a couple inches of sleet from the Sunday storm.

Looks active and colder the next 10 days, however could we be looking at a repeat of last year? The weekly Euro which has been pretty good of late says enjoy the next next 7-10 days cause the fat lady is warming up her pipes.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/anderson/story/45951/computer-model-outlook-through-end-of-winter.asp

Looks active and colder the next 10 days, however could we be looking at a repeat of last year? The weekly Euro which has been pretty good of late says enjoy the next next 7-10 days cause the fat lady is warming up her pipes.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/anderson/story/45951/computer-model-outlook-through-end-of-winter.asp

Here's a couple of tips:

1) Might want to go back to your link and scroll down the page to the post about the extended Euro from Feb 11. Look at the March 7-13 specifically...yeah real consistency

2) Don't say things you can't verify (i.e. Euro weeklies have been good)

3) Stop being an annoying troll

4) Despite being an annoying troll, don't change your avatar

Here's a couple of tips:

1) Might want to go back to your link and scroll down the page to the post about the extended Euro from Feb 11. Look at the March 7-13 specifically...yeah real consistency

:lmao:

Here's a couple of tips:

+1000000000000000000000

Here's a couple of tips:

:lmao: Post of the day winner here :)

http://www.accuweath...d-of-winter.asp

Blow your pipes out fat lady.. I can't wait to track the migration north of Humming Birds over a snow storm.

Archived