Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fog didn't clear up here until about 2:30, so we won't be hitting 50 today. The warmth was nice while it lasted and got rid quite a bit of snow. . Some of the piles are still pretty massive, but general snow depth ranges from grass patches to 8 inches. I don't know if this melt will ease the spring flooding since it seems like the snow remaining is just even more dense. The only significant change in the Minnesota River level occurred in the last 24 hours with a rise of .4 feet at the Jordan gauge. With the return to normalcy and winter coming soon, I doubt it will rise much more. On a spring-related note, I saw my first Canada Geese in the area today.

Well snow depth is down to a T (patches, drifts, and most notably piles). So we went from 16" to a T in 12 days. Sad, but certainly not unheard of. This ends 43 consecutive days of 1"+ snowcover, and puts the season number on hold at least temporarily at 64 days. This is still way above normal (normal for an entire season is 49 days of 1"+ snowcover)...but Im shooting to make it a top 10 snowcover winter, so hopefully it resumes quickly. Perhaps this is just a temporary thing, as was our only other bare period since early December, which was Jan 1-4.

Well snow depth is down to a T (patches, drifts, and most notably piles). So we went from 16" to a T in 12 days. Sad, but certainly not unheard of. This ends 43 consecutive days of 1"+ snowcover, and puts the season number on hold at least temporarily at 64 days. This is still way above normal (normal for an entire season is 49 days of 1"+ snowcover)...but Im shooting to make it a top 10 snowcover winter, so hopefully it resumes quickly. Perhaps this is just a temporary thing, as was our only other bare period since early December, which was Jan 1-4.

In a fiend for snowcover the way many of you are for storms. Per NowData, average snowcover days for DTW per season shows this has been a banner year, esp considering we are only in mid-February. Yet, I have the mindset of someone who lives in the U.P., furious to see ANY bare ground during the winter. Below is the average for the ENTIRE season versus what we have so far this season officially at DTW.

1"+: 48 days......63 days so far

3"+: 29 days......55 days so far

5"+: 15 days......47 days so far

10"+: 2 days......12 days so far

Must have had the ultra elusive February heat burst in Iowa tonight.

From 10pm.

WEBSTER CITY * CLEAR 106 32 8 W9 29.84R HX 99

Edit: The mammoth heat burst for the ages continues........

11pm

WEBSTER CITY * CLEAR 111 32 6 W10 29.87R HX 103

Wow close to all time record highs lol. Wonder what's going on there tonight? Obviously the sensor is smoking something. :yikes:

Strong winds and 50° temperatures will melt through snow pretty fast.

Dews are key more than temps. Its been a wonderful winter for snowcover....honestly cannot complain. But it is just sickening to see bare ground today and even the piles (mainly on sunny sides of the street like mine) just decimated, considering how deep the snow was a few days ago. 2" of water in the snowpack wasnt enough for the torch. Luckily if we get snow Sunday, that means we will only have to deal with this horrible bare ground for 2-3 days.

Still lots of large snowbanks around, but half of them resemble coal more than snow.

2703-800.jpg

Jeez, temps aren't dropping as fast as I thought. We're still at 50 and full sunshine. Flow's SWly so no Lk Ontario help. Thought last night that I'd make it through with in tact snowcover, but that call's in peril now.

Every torch over the past few winters this happens....it gets warmer and lasts longer than I expect. Even when I think Ive learned, I havent. Seeing a few inches of snow disappear is one thing, but seeing deep snow vanish over an entire region is DEPRESSING. But it is actually very La Nina-ish, something we have luckily avoided this winter.

I didn't want to clog up the storm thread, but I noticed that Chicagowx has given up on winter for LAF. That prompted me to check MBY records for the past few years, since our climo is about the same. This what has fallen after Feb 18th (2007-2010):

Feb Mar Apr

2007 T, 0.8, 3.0, = 3.8

2008 8.7, 7.9, 0.0, = 16.6

2009 4.0, T, 2.0, = 6.0

2010 3.0, 0.0, 0.0, = 3.0

So, our 2008 anomaly shows that major snows are possible after this date for this region. However, the probabilities drop off dramatically. I can understand why those in North Central IN can be ready to call it a year. March 1st is my drop dead date. After that point, I'm ready for severe action to take over.

Archived