• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion part 2

Hoosier

this reminds me of a more transient version of the WAA event on or around the superbowl a few yrs back that had tons of convective elements.

+1000

Dude I remember that one too. I was slurping on my slurpee watching the giants whip the patriots with a come back win i think? And it was just ripping snow outside.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1000

Dude I remember that one too. I was slurping on my slurpee watching the giants whip the patriots with a come back win i think? And it was just ripping snow outside.

somewhere down around PIA or so got 10+ with that one i think. I'm sure the wx hx encyclopedia chicagowx will know all the details.

somewhere down around PIA or so got 10+ with that one i think. I'm sure the wx hx encyclopedia chicagowx will know all the details.

I think the 10"+ amounts were more toward the Quad Cities and back into Iowa. It was crazy electric though...the lightning map looked like spring.

started with pea-sized hail, then went to RA to PL to +TSPL with a CG, than to -SN/PL to TSSN with another big CG due east than back to -SN/PL...ended 5 mins ago but just had a 3rd CG to the ENE.

It doesn't get much better than this, still getting small claps of thunder.

Have a friend a Palatine saying she had the biggest flakes she has ever seen.

All that stuff that has moved into sw MI is all snow. Has to be some sick rates under those oranges and reds.

PECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI

1050 PM EST WED FEB 23 2011

MIZ051-052-056>059-064>067-071>073-240545-

ALLEGAN-BARRY-CALHOUN-CLINTON-EATON-GRATIOT-INGHAM-IONIA-KALAMAZOO-

KENT-MONTCALM-OTTAWA-VAN BUREN-

1050 PM EST WED FEB 23 2011

...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY...

AT 1045 PM EST...AN AREA OF INTENSE SNOWFALL...WITH VISIBILITIES

BELOW A HALF MILE...WAS OVER ALLEGAN...VAN BUREN AND KALAMAZOO

COUNTIES. THIS SNOW WAS MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH AND WILL IMPACT

GRAND RAPIDS...HASTINGS...BATTLE CREEK...IONIA...CHARLOTTE...ALMA

AND ST. JOHNS THROUGH 1 AM. ROADS WILL QUICKLY BECOME SLICK MAKING

FOR HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SEEK SHELTER IN A STURDY STRUCTURE UNTIL THIS STORM HAS PASSED.

Heavy snow here which keeps getting heavier.

All that stuff that has moved into sw MI is all snow. Has to be some sick rates under those oranges and reds.

Heavy snow here which keeps getting heavier.

Wow...what a great appetizer it would be! Snowpack has settled to 8" here though water content still 1.1". Have to go to bed tho, work tomorrow and wanna be rested to get up early Friday!

We started the day with about 1" of snow on the ground. The upper 30s today melted all of that away. Tonight we had two elevated thunderstorms roll through with pea size hail. The second one hailed enough to whiten the ground. Most of that hail remains on the ground now, as temps have fallen to below freezing.

We started the day with about 1" of snow on the ground. The upper 30s today melted all of that away. Tonight we had two elevated thunderstorms roll through with pea size hail. The second one hailed enough to whiten the ground. Most of that hail remains on the ground now, as temps have fallen to below freezing.

Hailcover...interesting :scooter:

0.8" snow here with some sleet/freezing rain (0.10" liquid) overnight. Some thunder reported in parts of SE MI....after widespread thundersnow just occurred Sunday...AND Feb 1st! Snow depth around 8" still after compaction, but a good core sample of 1.2" liquid.

Looking like the fantasies of a 3rd 10" storm this month will not play out tonight, however yet another snowstorm is almost imminent. Perhaps still a shot at our 4th 6"+ of the season?

0.8" snow here with some sleet/freezing rain (0.10" liquid) overnight. Some thunder reported in parts of SE MI....after widespread thundersnow just occurred Sunday...AND Feb 1st! Snow depth around 8" still after compaction, but a good core sample of 1.2" liquid.

Looking like the fantasies of a 3rd 10" storm this month will not play out tonight, however yet another snowstorm is almost imminent. Perhaps still a shot at our 4th 6"+ of the season?

If any poster from SE MI dares to complain about this winter then they are a true weenie. Met winter will end with below normal temps overall and possibly all 3 months being below plus above normal snowfall and snowcover. That would qualify this winter as cold and snowy without a doubt!

If any poster from SE MI dares to complain about this winter then they are a true weenie. Met winter will end with below normal temps overall and possibly all 3 months being below plus above normal snowfall and snowcover. That would qualify this winter as cold and snowy without a doubt!

Oh I agree 100%. I had been saying that for a few months now, but considering whats happened this month, I dont think anyone dares. DTW is at 55" of snow and nearly 70 days with 1"+ snowcover with a WSW for 4-7" tonight/tomorrow. REMEMBER average for an ENTIRE season is snowfall of 44" (longterm avg actually 41") and 1"+ snowcover days 49. And I only say "1"+ snowcover days" for statistical purposes. A HUGE marjority of those days have been 6"+ snowcover.

EPIC February here in the Detroit area. Todays snowstorm dropped 3.3" at DTW, bringing the monthly total to 31.1" and etching February 2011 into the weather books. Once Feb is over I will be starting a thread for DTW sort of similar to the "Chicago making snowfall history" thread.

Detroits 5 snowiest months of all-time:

38.4" - February 1908

34.9" - December 1974

31.1" - February 2011 thru Feb 25th

30.2" - March 1900

29.6" - January 1978

Detroits top snowstorms of February 2011:

10.3" - Feb 1/2

10.2" - Feb 20/21

4.8" - Feb 5

3.3" - Feb 25

MBY top snowstorms of February 2011

10.2" - Feb 20/21

10.1" - Feb 1/2

4.3" - Feb 25

4.1" - Feb 5

EPIC February here in the Detroit area. Todays snowstorm dropped 3.3" at DTW, bringing the monthly total to 31.1" and etching February 2011 into the weather books. Once Feb is over I will be starting a thread for DTW sort of similar to the "Chicago making snowfall history" thread.

Detroits 5 snowiest months of all-time:

38.4" - February 1908

34.9" - December 1974

31.1" - February 2011 thru Feb 25th

30.2" - March 1900

29.6" - January 1978

Detroits top snowstorms of February 2011:

10.3" - Feb 1/2

10.2" - Feb 20/21

4.8" - Feb 5

3.3" - Feb 25

MBY top snowstorms of February 2011

10.2" - Feb 20/21

10.1" - Feb 1/2

4.3" - Feb 25

4.1" - Feb 5

Give this winter a B+. The lack of a 12+ storm is keeping me from giviing it an A

Archived